Author Topic: Hairball brushing problem  (Read 2446 times)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Re: Hairball brushing problem
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 13:03:50 PM »
Little update, I got some paste and they both liked it at first, but you know what cats are like - now they both turn their noses up at it  >:(

The dreamies bribery didn't work, so I thought I'd get some webbox lick e licks so while he was licking it from my finger I could try a little brush, but he refused to eat it.... little  :censored: ....

Haven't heard any coughy noises for a while tho
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 20:25:14 PM »
I think I'll give the paste a go - the treats I got said it was to expel hairballs as well, you had to feed 6 a day!
Bribery might work tho - he is a greedy guts :evillaugh:
I did try brushing (and stroking) from an early age but the little :censored: just doesn't like it! I just resigned myself to the fact its his purrsonality... Like I said, denzel no problem, but she just likes any form of attention!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 18:47:19 PM »
Mine wont eat the hairball paste at all, so thought I will be smart and piut it on their paws and they will clean them and lick it off.

Nooooooooooooooo lol, they flicked paws and rubbed them on things and made every where sticky and in end had to clean the stuff  off them.

Now they sick them up except Sasa who doesnt often but expels fur from the tail end!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 17:30:39 PM »
With regards the brushing I don't think you're ever going to get him to like it now but you could try getting him used to being brushed for very short periods in exchange for some dreamies or something. I'm lucky in that I started my two off from an early age and Lu in particular is in drooly, purring ecstacy when he's being brushed!

I think the hairball treats are probably better as a preventative measure rather than as a curative one. A hairball paste would be the best bet, I bought one from Jollyes pet shop 'Johnsons hairball remedy' but Lu wouldn't even lick it whereas I got a malt paste from zooplus 'Gimpet malt soft extra' and he literally sucks it out of the tube!

Treatwise the Whiskas anti hairball treats seem to be VERY palatable although not sure how good they are as there doesn't seem to be any hairball goo stuff in them like there is in something like http://www.petsathome.com/shop/mark-and-chappell-defurr-um-cat-treats-50gm-14989 which are also popular but not as popular as the Whiskas ones!

The Sherley's paste seems to get good palatability reviews and the description makes it sound v similar to the one I got from zooplus, a dark malt paste.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/sherley-s-hairball-paste-for-cats-100g-by-beaphar-29341?cm_re=barilliance-_-up%20sell-_-product%20details

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
Hairball brushing problem
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 16:33:03 PM »
I have two cats 18 month old siblings. Denzel is fine to be brushed with the furminator, but dexter does not even tolerate being stroked.
I havent minded this as its just his temperment, but think he has a hairball problem - a coughy wretchy thing only on a few occasions in the morning at the minute.
Any tips for acclimatising him to brushing? Should i persevere and have him dislike me, or have him put up with a hairball? He runs straight off when there is too much contact for him (i swear i would think he had been mistreated if i didn't know better!)
I do get the hairball 'treats' sometimes he eats them but sometimes he doesn't.

Link to CatChat