Author Topic: Guidance Please?  (Read 3406 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Guidance Please?
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 08:51:20 AM »
hiya bengaltabby.

I'm sorry you lost your boy in such dreadful circumstances.

I think bengals are fairly social and she probably is missing her brother, quite possibly she would take to another cat and you should look at and follow wizz's advice on how to do that, if you get another and just put them together that might have disasterous results and they'd not get on,

also be prepared to get a couple of feliway diffusers in your house (google feliway and go to feliway.com site and read about it there)

wizz link as follows... OK I CANT FIND IT AGAIN GGGRRRRRRR SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE IT TO HAND THOUGH (AND I MUST GET IT INTO MY FAVORITES SO I DONT LOSE IT AGAIN)

Also i read your thread a couple of times and kept wondering about you asking
 "Would it trigger her mothering instict if a kitten joined the family? "

I was wandering why you think it might bring out a mothering instinct when it was her brother that has been lost,  Is issie actually spayed ????????   If she is then no it wont bring out a mothering instinct as such but hopefully she will enjoy a new playmate.  However if she isnt spayed then i'd highly recommend that before getting another cat, it may make her more akin to accepting  a new one and also there are alot of health risks associated with entire queens.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 08:31:28 AM »
I am so sorry for your loss, and have no other advice really.
Please spay your cat

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 20:18:57 PM »
Hi Bengaltabby - welcome to Purrs.

Sorry to hear about Monty, hope he is eating a little bit now.
In my experience cats dont tend to have long memories so hoepfully he will be feeling better soon.
Keep us posted - good luck.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 19:15:19 PM »
Hi Bengaltabby and welcome to Purrs.

So very sorry to hear you found us under such terrible circumstances.  Like everyone else has said, I can't really advice whether a new kitten would be a god idea or not however I thought you might find the following article of interest  http://www.fabcats.org/behaviour_felinebereavement.html

RIP Monty baby.  Play hard at the bridge litte one you are greatly missed by your sister and your human Mummy and Daddy  :(
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Beth (Mouse's Mum)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 18:29:39 PM »
Hi,

Very sorry to hear about your furbabe.  I went through exactly the same situation 2 weeks ago.  We had 2 boy cats, only 15 months old, they were inseperable and brothers, but chubchub got killed by a car and Mouse was inconsolable, he was absolutely devastated.  A few days after he started to get a bit better, he got a whole lot of attention, new toys and cuddles.  He's still not fully over it, but i don't think he ever will be, but it does get easier to bear for us and Mouse. 

When the time is right we'll be getting him a new friend too, can't get a kitten though as Mouse is an indoor/outdoor cat and i don't want to stop him going outside or stop him coming inside when a kitten is around, so we'll get one around 4 months old so it wont be long before they can both go out. 

We'll leave it until the new year though, want to give Mouse time to grieve first, he's been through alot in the last two weeks, his whole world's changed, so we don't want to put added pressure on him by bringing in something new.

Hope it all works out for you and your babe.

Beth & Mouse  :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about Monty.    :hug:
Theres a secure-your-garden kit on the auction if it is something you would consider doing
http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=366.0

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 12:30:21 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, and the circumstances. xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline bagpussarah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 12:24:31 PM »
Hi,
I'm so sorry to hear about Monty. You must be feeling so sad at the moment.
As has already been said, don't rush into getting another cat until you know that you are all ready for another one. When introducing a new cat into a home that already has a cat, there is no guarantee that they will both get along but with patience and following all the right advise,they usually do, eventually, although there are exceptions.
There are lots of rescues on here that are often looking for good homes for their cats and kittens so maybe you will be able give a homeless cat a chance?

Offline bengaltabby

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 11:58:45 AM »
I understand what your saying unfortunately we thought we had done just that. We live in a small hamlet in the berkshire countryside and our road is very quiet we are surronded by woodland and fields which wet hought was a very safge environment for a cat. Just shows you can never be too carefull.

we'll let you know how we get on.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 11:53:22 AM »
Welcome Bengaltabby, I'm so sorry about Monty... :(

I would say eventually yes, Issie would probably love some catty company again... but as Gill said, she will need some time, first, and so will you guys.

The other thing is now might be a very very good time to look at 'cat-proofing' your garden so there is no chance that you could ever have to go through this again... obviously it's not always possible for all sorts of reasons but I think it's a great idea when it's doable.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline bengaltabby

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 11:49:21 AM »
Thanks for your replies, we miss him terribly,
His name was Monty

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 11:45:23 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs. Sorry it is in such sad circumstances.

Cats grieve just like us and Issie will need loads of attention and cuddles to get over the loss of her brother. It is impossible really to advise whther another cat would help but just dont get one until you are ready to cope and accept one and then if you think this is the right thing to do, make sure they are introduced well...................go to links, cat behavior,wizzs site for good advice.

RIP little boy, taken to young.

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 11:39:57 AM »
Im sorry i dont have any advice but wanted to say how very sorry i am to hear about your poor boy :(

I hate how heartless some people are.

Offline bengaltabby

• Kitten
Guidance Please?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 11:37:51 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and would like some help and guidance.
Until recently we were a 2 cat family, our cats are Bengal crosses, brother and sister.
On sunday afternoon the boy was killed on the road outside our house by someone who didn't have the decency to stop and move him from the road.
Since then his sister has been off her food and refuses to go outside, they where both less than a (human) year old.
I would like to know if it's advisable to get a kitten to keep Issie company since she was always used to having another cat around? Would it trigger her mothering instict if a kitten joined the family?
Could anyone let me know of their experience or advice?

thanks

Link to CatChat