Author Topic: plaque off  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: plaque off
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 17:25:17 PM »
thanks that is useful to know, I've been using it about three weeks so a bit early yet

Offline onyx

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Fonzie and Chloe, plus Amber and Izzie the doggies
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 16:17:17 PM »
i give it to both my dog and the two cats. (they do have a seperate version for cats, but the one for all animals works fine for them as well)

It has really helped the dog. Her back teeth are looking sooooo much cleaner than they used too. Now she only has a tiny bit of staining on her canines.

With one cat - he only has his fangs and the tiny corncob teeth, but those look amazing ;)

The other cat's teeth look in pretty good condition after having used it as well.

I have tried to brush all three of mine.... and they do let me... but i think plaque off seems to work much better.... and is easier to administer....

i  also try to give them raw food/chicken wing, and the toothless cat is much better at figuring out what to do than the one with her teeth intact!  (obvs the dog is the best at figuring out what to do, and is always on full alert should there be an oppurtunity of stealing......  :naughty:)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 14:56:19 PM »
Gillian been reading up about FORLs - interesting cats mouths are so different to ours and dont get decay like us.
 :thanks: for educating me! :)
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 10:13:46 AM »
we do brush teeth but not often enough and with a bengal and a torti you can imagine!!  I've got it now so will use it for a while and see what happens but think a dental is around the corner for miss amber!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 22:08:36 PM »
Well I dont know anyone in dentistry who recommends the human version!
Our teeth do become more fragile with age - so is that what happens with cats and they just shatter?
Yeah, I cant imagine filling a cats tooth - they are teeny!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 21:52:23 PM »
If it works then why isn't there a human version?

By the way, there is a human version of plaque off, I think the human version was avaialble first, long before there was a pet version.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 21:48:37 PM »
Its true, soft food does nothing for their teeth, but nor does dry food/treats, all that does is shatter and send debris round the teeth (of they get swallowed whole lol! with no benefit whatsoever  ;) ) Giving chicken wings and largeish cubes of meat regularly will keep teeth and gums in good nick - sadly as some of my lot lost many teeth early on, they can't manage wings, but some of them still can. Mind you, my Elsa (RIP) still managed to strip the meat off a chicken drumstick with only two teeth left in her mouth!  :)

Cats get cavities like we do (FORLs) but they are not caused by decay like with our teeth and they can't be filled, so normally the tooth has to be extracted. I've had a couple of cats with these.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 17:28:56 PM »
Aaw... Poor oscar... :hug:
I dont see why he shouldn't keep hold of the rest of his teeth now he's being fed a proper diet - 6 teeths a lot to loose :hug:

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 01:17:59 AM »
Oscar's mouth was in a dreadful state when he was rescued   Because I know how much every penny meansto them I said I would take him to my vet.  Other than the teeth he was healthy.  They removed 6 teeth and he had already liost one.   They think he may lose the rest but at the moment he is managing to eat OK   He has dentibits and loves them  It makes me wonder what sort of food he had been having while fending for himself.  He is only 7 years old (estimated)
Meantime I am still trying to bathe his abcess and the language is awful  I can't stop it :( healing over
Purrs from
Peggy and grumpy Oscar

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 23:18:38 PM »
Yes dentibits! Thats what I meant - I think they are the best bet apart from brushing. Wonder if anyone actually manages to brush their cats teeth???!
Just a note on the tooth decay side (not to mention the lactose intolerance) - a friend recently told me her brother had been giving his kitten the milk left over from his coco pops in the morning :shocked:
I am new to owning cats, but at least did the research to know this was not a good idea... Some people >:(
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 23:25:18 PM by emmmy_lou »

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 23:14:46 PM »
For what its worth, my vet doesn't think much of it but I don't know whether that is because of the science or experience.  He advised giving mine dentibits whcih I did for a while but as they hoover them rather than chewing so bit of a waste of money.  They didn't think so though.  :evillaugh:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 22:29:34 PM »
I'm a dental hygienist and dont give it to my cats... If it works then why isn't there a human version? Not that my expertise is animal dentition!
I think whats best is not too soft a diet? I do get those treat type things that are meant to be good for the teeth.
The best thing is no doubt to brush them if you are brave enough! And obviously no sugary foods.
Gum disease (caused by plaque) and tooth decay (caused by sugar) are two totally separate dental diseases. Dont know if this helps!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 21:02:57 PM »
Not sure really, difficult to tell with my lot as many of them lost several teeth early on before plaque off was around. I put it in their food every day now, and hope that it keeps their remaining teeth in good order.  :-:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
plaque off
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 19:08:10 PM »
anyone got any thoughts on it, does it actually do anything???

Link to CatChat