Author Topic: Cats in need of urgent rehoming due to house move Merseyside area (Uknown Outcome)  (Read 6786 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
As there have been no updates will move this to sorted now  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Any news please?

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
I have to admit, I'm a renter (can't afford to buy) and have been for 4 years in 2 different properties. With the first I persuaded the landlord with extra deposit money and a cleaning clause in the contract for when we moved out. The current landlord was great, last tenant had a dog so cats were fine. Every agency we approached we told them we weren't interested unless the LL would allow pets. I consider my cats as children and its not like someone would agree to move into a property that wouldn't allow children.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (probably pointless at Jan 9th has now passed) but if the cats were rescues, don't most rescues request that cats are returned to their care if things don't work out for whatever reason?

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Funkiechicken, I've heard people complaining about having to do up places when tenants leave but I was always under the impression that repairs were tax deductible as it's a business. Is that not the case?   

Offline valeriewhiteside

• Adult Cat
I think I probably just scared my tenants off.  Letting agents phoned to ask tentatively if I might consider allowing my current tenants to have a cat.  YES.  Definately.  Would they like to pop round and choose one this afternoon?  ;)

Is there a specific CLAWS in the contract?  :doh: :evillaugh: :rofl:

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
I think I probably just scared my tenants off.  Letting agents phoned to ask tentatively if I might consider allowing my current tenants to have a cat.  YES.  Definately.  Would they like to pop round and choose one this afternoon?  ;)

Is there a specific CLAWS in the contract?  :doh: :evillaugh: :rofl:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
a whole new angle to rehoming  :evillaugh:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
I really hope you get this sorted  :(
Try for the Outdoor suggestion and references from your previous landlord, as they will have done an evaluation on how you left the property (in good order etc...) as suggested by other members.
Also, ask about giving you a little 'grace' whilst you try and sort out the cats futures, which along with the unplanned move, is proving a struggle.
Often Landlords dont want cats due to the "cat smell" associated with spraying males etc. I struggled to rent myself in the past and a friend of mine took over 6months to find a home that would take her one cat.
My dad is a landlord to a flat in Central London and although lucky with longterm tenants, when they left, he spent a small fortune bringing upto rentable standards  :shy: I can see both sides.
But the offer a little extra or to even just have flooring professionally cleaned and walls freshened when you leave is a great suggestion.....something like that may swing the Landlord in times where its hard to get tenants??

Good Luck  :hug:  :hug:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
This is something that really makes me angry landlords only ever want - no smoking, no pets, no DSS, no children, professional couples only. I wanted to adopt a couple of cats last year but my landlord said no even though it was a unfurnished place. Fortunately we have managed to buy our own flat now so have adopted two cats. We can even put up pictures on our walls. I think lots of people actually lie about having pets, I know I friend of mine did. It's not so easy if you have 3 though. Something needs to change especially as it looks like more people are going to have to rent in the future. Good luck Lyn and Chris I really feel for you and hope you manage to get something sorted. 

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Often these rules are due to landlords worried the pets will make a mess etc  so you could try pursuading by guaranteeing you'll keep things clean, even getting it professionally cleaned after if need be or giving a reference for  from a previous landlord if you have one.  Or if possible you could offer to pay that bit more, there's some info here which may help:
www.letswithpets.org.uk

Offline LynandChris

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Smokey, Tigger, Mittens
Yes it was a 6 month contract but now the house we are in is up for sale and the new one we have found wont allow pets.  Never thought of outside to be honest worth asking. Thanks I will keep you posted.

Chris

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
would she permit you to have then in the garden in an outside run? Run an electricity supply in to a heated bed and tube heater?
At least then you'd get to fuss them each day?

I assume its a 6-month contract so it gives you 6 months to find a pet friendly rental.

Offline LynandChris

• Kitten
We have tried negotiating but unfortunately the landlord is adimant she does not want pets:( It was one of the first things we asked.  All of the properties we have been to see all say the same.  I would never of thought that this would be the outcome.  Thanks for he advice.Chris

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Sadly a lot of people seem to be in this situation and a number of cats have been lucky enough to find homes through Purrs.

Many rescues stop rehoming about now until after Christmas because they dont want cats being taken as a Christmas present and then being got rid of once the novelty wears off.

If you happen to be going into rental accomodation where the lease says no animals, sometimes negotiation with the landlord can get this changed, This condition is often just standard and the letting agents maintain that it cant be changed but it can.

Offline LynandChris

• Kitten
Has anyone been in a situation by where they have to move but are unable to take their beloved pets with thm?  If so what was the outcome?

Thanks
Chris

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Welcome, sorry you're having to rehome your cats, that's must be hard for you.  Here's a list of rescues in your area, there may be some you've not tried:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/mersey.html

When you do contact rescues ask them to put you on a waiting list or for a direct homing where they will help find them a home whilst they are with you.  Do also stress how urgent this is and hopefully they'll be able to help sooner than they usually would.  It would be wise to list them however short a time you have though just in case you don't find them a home meanwhile the longer you leave it to add to the list the worse the situation will be.  Also it's better to go through a rescue so proper checks and the right home is found.  Best of luck.

Offline LynandChris

• Kitten
Good evening guys, gals and pet lovers,

Sadly due to an unplanned house move we are unable to take our 3 cats with us and have to rehome them. The details of each one are listed below along with a pic. All of our cats are a real big part of our family and they will be sadly missed so if there are any cat lovers among you please get in touch.

Tigger (the big ginger teddy bear)
He is/was a rescue cat, he was very timid when we adopted him but has since become a loveable, soft teddy, everybody who sees and meets him falls in love instantly, he is around 4 yrs old, they are all housecats so they dont have needles, but they do get flea treated and wormed,

Smokey(grey/blue)
Smokey again was a rescue cat he is around 5 yrs old, he is the more reserved one likes to be the boss, loves a cuddle when he wants to lol, sometimes he can be a bit grumpy, he is microchipped only because he used to like going in the garden and because we got so many comments on how lovely looking he was we decided it was for his own safety incase he wandered off, again he now prefers to be a house cat.

Mittens(all black) around 4 yrs old (he was adopted with tigger)
he is again a rescue cat, but had a horrific start in life, basically he was left with his brothers and sisters and badly treated hence why he is soooooo timid, we have never really been able to have any sort of human contact with him, he is getting better but I very much doubt he would ever be a cuddly cat, he just eats, sleeps and sleeps some more, I think as long as he is fed, warm and knows he is safe he is fine lol, again he is a house cat, he also has a tooth missing at the front so when he sleeps his little tongue tends to stick out.

If you know of anyone who is looking for a cat please get in touch as the last thing we want to do is put our beautiful cats back into a cattery environment, we would much rather see them with happy places to live
as it is already breaking mine and my wife and the kids hearts
again if anyone can help please give me a PM and I will be pleased to answer any questions
I forgot to say all have been neutered, all are litter trained.

We have tried every cat rescue centre we can think of and even the ones we got them from but they are all full.  We only have until the 9th of Jan to rehome and don't know where else to turn.  Please please please can anyone help as the 9th is fast approaching.  We will miss them so very very much but I know they will be safe and well looked after wherever they end up. 

We are based in the Merseyside area
Cheers,

Chris
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:38:00 AM by Janeyk »

Link to CatChat