Author Topic: Beau has started spraying  (Read 2080 times)

Offline aloise

• Kitten
  • Slave to: beau and george
Re: Beau has started spraying
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 09:20:34 AM »
Thanks sheilarose,excellent advice there for me. TheRX stuff is very expensive and the bio solution and white vinegar actually work,i was quite surprised. Taking him to the vet tomorrow and will ask about the Buspirone.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 22:21:04 PM »
We had this trouble when I moved in with my OH, blending our furry families. One of the boys was very stressed and started spraying. Our vet suggested Buspirone, an antidepressant, which has very good results with stress spraying. After a week he was happier than ever and the spraying stopped. He stayed on the Buspirone for a few days to be sure but he was cured.

When you see your vet, and he's ruled out UTIs etc as a cause for his sudden behavioural change, ask him about this as it worked wonders for my boy.

RX66 is very good where the smell is lingering in soft furnishings (couch/bed) or wooden surfaces (floorboards), but is quite pricey. Simple Solution is cheaper (from Pets at Home or Amazon) and I tend to use this neat in a spray bottle for general cleaning up of accidents.

The white vinegar is good if you don't mind your house smelling like salad, and it is cheap if you buy in bulk.

Offline aloise

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 14:28:29 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies. I will have a look at them. Meanwhile i have used bio soap liquid and white vinegar and water today. Don't know if it will work, all i can smell at the moment is vinegar.

Carrying beau with me into any room i go into, trying to nip this in the bud.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:39:04 AM »
Urine off is very good and you can get the torch which shows where the actual spray is takes the guess work away and both have been used by folks on Purrs with good results would still take a vets visit to see nothing untoward is going on
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:27:04 AM »
I think that RX66 may be what Alison used,,,,,,,,,cant blooming remember!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:38:16 AM »
RX66 and urine off seem to be popular, luckily have never needed it but Mark used them I think and he was the king of wee wee (cats not his own!)

Offline aloise

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:35:30 AM »
The first thing you need to do is have a vet check to see if there is another problem and whether he needs any abs..............oh and get rid of the smell !

I cant advise on the latter but I think the really good ones are quite expensive............I think Alison knows of one

Don't think there is any other problem, has no trouble weeing in chili's litter tray anyway.
Don't mind the expense but gets worse if you have to try one after the other.
Alison can you help?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 20:15:23 PM »
The first thing you need to do is have a vet check to see if there is another problem and whether he needs any abs..............oh and get rid of the smell !

I cant advise on the latter but I think the really good ones are quite expensive............I think Alison knows of one

Offline aloise

• Kitten
Beau has started spraying
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 18:40:37 PM »
We have had Chili for 3 nearly weeks ago and things are as you would expect i suppose given that they are all elderly cats. She is the most lovely cat and i don't care what the others say she is here to stay.  ;D
Beau is not to bad but very sly. if i am in the same room he will sleep inches apart from her, and she seems quite relaxed as long as i am there. But as soon as my back is turned he will have a go at her, :sneaky: it's so annoying. Makes her nervous again and we have to start all over again.
He , Beau, has started stress spraying. He has never done that in the 13 years we have had him.
My house is smelling like a cats toilet today. He only started it yesterday which seems a bit strange. :censored:
After all that blah, blah, i wondered if anybody knows of a decent efficient deodoriser.
There are loads on the market but i don't want to start spending lodsa a money trying them all.
I have already spent a bit on feliway and that was useless.

Link to CatChat