Author Topic: TV wire hazard - help!  (Read 1690 times)

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
Re: TV wire hazard - help!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 17:17:13 PM »
That stuff sounds great!

I was just going to add that you can get cable tidy things from Wilkinson's which might help. It's a tube the your pop all of the wires in.It might make them harder to get at.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 22:25:54 PM »
Make them taste bad.

There's a spray called Bitter Apple made by Grannicks which gets good reports and stopped Sly chewing our hands when he was a kitten.

Amazon stock it, but you might even find it at your vet as it was designed to stop puppies biting stitches after surgery. Totally harmless but tastes like that stuff you put on kids nails to staop them biting.  :sick:

Sorry Cazzer, just re-read your post and realised I've repeated almost word for word what you said.  :doh:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 17:24:56 PM by sheilarose »

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 22:03:37 PM »
Thanks for all the replies  :) So far I've spent the evening fashioning a barricade out of bits of an old dog crate and cardboard boxes!! It seems to be holding up so far but madam is constantly trying to figure out a way through it! I'll definitely check out the bitter spray though as that would be useful for other wires in the house too  :)

So far this week I've also bought a fire guard to block off that hazard and now have a huuuuge blockade around the TV - the things we do for pets  :rofl:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 21:08:31 PM »
My sisters young cat loves wires and is also blind so waving is no good and loud noises could cause injury as when spooked he cant see where hes escaping to- she got some bitter solution (from pets at home i think) i think i t may have been aimed at rabbits but its worked as far as chewing goes- doesnt stop him trying to climb the flat screen though  :tired:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 21:08:01 PM »
What do you do when you 'fish her out'? If you don't already, have you tried fishing her out (without talking to her as she doesn't know what you are saying and any words to her are seen as attention) and plonking her outside the room before closing the door - sort of time out for cats! You may have to repeat a fair few times but eventually she'll realise that when she goes behind there she gets taken away from the things she likes.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 18:15:58 PM »
we have the same problem behind our tv as well, but we are not sure who the guilty party is but suspect Karlo.      We've found chewed computer cables on several occasions.      We've used some wrap around cable guards.       I'm not sure where we got them from possibly Ikea [will have to ask OH].      Funnily enough I've also ordered some bitter apple spray today from amazon to spray on any bits not covered by the guards.

Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 17:46:30 PM »
Oh boy thats a hard one and I will be interested in replies cos Lupin tries to bite the lead going into my lappy, it bloomin lights up.........sigh

I think you can get cable covers and one thing you can use is insultion for small pipes that you can put round the wires and tape on.

I am sure she will grow out of it.

Another idea is to have a feather on a stick toy that you can use to get her attention diverted............I find Lupin to be thoroughly  intrigued and concentration 100%.........sigh

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
TV wire hazard - help!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 17:37:43 PM »
I'm having a nightmare trying to keep Meg kitten out of the wires at the back of the TV :( We've got an open glass stand with three shelves for the sky box, dvd player and TV but the whole thing is totally open so there's no way to block it off from her :(

It was working quite well just shouting 'out' and ssshhhing her out but yesterday she decided that wouldn't work any more and she wouldn't budge! I even tried prodding her with a broom but she just started biting the broom instead!!

Obviously it's dangerous for her to be chewing wires behind there so we're getting to the point where she can't be in the lounge even supervised as we're literally having to get up every 2 seconds to fish her out - she's obsessed with going behind there.

Any ideas on anything we could try to stop her?

Link to CatChat