Author Topic: Hello from a worried newbie  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Hello from a worried newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 23:04:15 PM »
Sorry can't offer any advice but just wanted to say  :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 21:41:41 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs   ;D

Glad you've found us, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.  I hope you can get Frank's cold symptoms under control  :hug: Are there any other vets in the practice that might be able to offer an opinion? Seems like he's been on antibiotics a long time now without success  :hug:

Offline Franks Mom

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Magnus, Frank, Tyga
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 17:37:32 PM »
Thanks again Gill

x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 16:32:59 PM »
I hope that someone else can give you some advice and know that Bunglycat, also Gill, may have some info  :hug: :hug:

Offline Franks Mom

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 14:15:41 PM »
Hello Gill

Frankie has intermittent sneezing and coughing.  At times his breathing is very loud and snuffly and at other times it's silent and you can't hear it at all.  Also at times it wakes him up and he looks like he's choking or is going to be sick but no mucus or such like comes away.  When is does sneeze it's mainly clear and watery and not thick and mucus like.

He looks well and doesn't look poorly if you know what I mean but this has been going on for months and months now and it's getting more regular and worrying I think.

He is eating if a little picky.

He's never been vaccinated against Cat Flu/Feline Enteritis as a couple of the other kittens from the litter reacted very badly to the vaccine many years ago and nearly died.  He's been an indoor cat for the last couple of years and our Vet doesn't think he has Cat Flu.

He also was diagnosed a few months ago with Haemobartonella parasite in his blood and has been on antibiotics for the parasite and the "cold" for approximately 3 months.

Thank you

Jan x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 13:57:39 PM »
I have a birman who is over 18yrs now and in Dec last year caught cat flu from his late brother.

He had convenia to stop any infections and a pinch of bisolven in his food once a day to clear up the terrible cattargh he had.

What symptoms does yours have?

Ducha had sneezing and the problems with his nose but it coimes back in a slighter form every so often.

Offline Franks Mom

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 13:19:40 PM »
Hi Dawn

Thanks v much :thanks:

Jx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 13:13:42 PM »
I Jan and welcome, there are quite a few people on here with oldies (mine are only babies of 9 and 6!) I'm sure someone will be along soon with some help!

Offline Franks Mom

• Kitten
Hello from a worried newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 13:11:30 PM »
Hello everyone

My name's Jan and I'm the proud mom of Magnus, Tyga and Frank. 

It's good to be here with you all. 

My little pussies are all quite elderly, two brothers of 16 years (Tyga and Frank) and a little girl (Magnus) of 19 years. 

All of my little ones have health conditions which, in general, are under control but Frank has an issue which I hope I might find some help with here - please!

He was diagnosed in the Spring with an overactive thyroid and has 10mg of Vidalta daily.  Since late Summer he's been treated with copious amounts of antibiotics for a cold/sniffle.  The cold isn't improving infact if anything it's getting worse.  He's recently been prescribed with 10mg Atarax in case the cold isn't a cold but an allergy.   Might anyone have any suggestions or topic threads that I could refer to please.

Thank you very much and thanks for being here for me - it's a great site.

Jan x

Link to CatChat