Author Topic: Introducing kitten to existing cat.....  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Introducing kitten to existing cat.....
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 18:43:06 PM »
I wish Misa would do some wopping and chasing of Lupin and put him in his place but he is a big softee and gentley wops gives a hiss and leaves........sigh

It sounds like its not too bad with your two and would just keep on the same, sounds like they will have fun together chasing each other.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Introducing kitten to existing cat.....
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 18:35:38 PM »
aww it doesn't sound that bad, sometimes the little uns need to be told and it sounds like Jas is doing that obviously if things get too rough you have to step in

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
Introducing kitten to existing cat.....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 18:22:29 PM »
Well Meg kitten has been here for 2 weeks now and the introductions are going very slowly!!

The first week they didn't really meet and we exchanged scents etc. Last weekend we set up a large dog crate in the lounge so we could put Meg in that and Jasmine cat could see her through the bars. That went fine - although Meg hates being in the crate and cries constantly. They pat each other with their paws through the bars and Jas nips at Meg's feet when she pokes them through the bars. I've been feeding them treats through the bars too :-)

At the weekend we let Meg out of the crate for a short period and they sniffed and we played with toys at other ends of the room and kept it very short. Have increased it a little bit each day since then but it seems to have degenerated into a chasing match.

Meg launches herself at Jas and literally jumps on her too try and wrestle and Jas hisses and chases her off. Meg tries to chase Jas too and shows no fear of her (even though she's tiny in comparison). Tonight we let Meg out and instantly Jas chased her, Meg leapt on her and Jas bit her on the ear and hissed (but that doesn't seem to put Meg off at all as she was still ready to leap back on top of her).

Meg definately thinks the whole thing is a great game but I think Jas just wants to chase her away  :scared:

I'm just not sure of the best way forward really as I don't want Meg to get hurt but she has to somehow learn not to leap all over Jas but Jas also needs to let Meg run about too without trying to chase her off.

It's tricky keeping them both in seperate areas of the house (Meg is mainly in a 'kitten' room in the spare room but comes out during the day for periods when Jas is outside.

Just need some help really as I'm desperate for things to work out  :(

Link to CatChat