Author Topic: ear troubles  (Read 1514 times)

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
Re: ear troubles
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 16:33:08 PM »
Hope this is all sorted soon. Glad she's feeling better.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 21:49:47 PM »
one of my has itchy ears, sometimes to the point that she yelps if you touch them :( the vet cant ever see ear mites although occasionally sees some dirt so thinks theyre in deep or shes going somewhere to keep picking them up. after alot of visits and alot of making them check her ears again shes now on advocat flea drops which also kill mites and is much better. her ears are still an itchy spot if you rub them but she leaves them alone otherwise

Offline aloise

• Kitten
  • Slave to: beau and george
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 17:03:17 PM »
Thanks for that Gill. He was attending an ordinary  vet for 12 months before i took him to the PDSA,until circumstances changed an is was eligible for the PDSA. I do get the impression from them that he is not really worth the trouble. But he is to me. Yes they gave me Stronghold for him and I renew it every month or so. I feel for him,he is so aggravated by these ears. 
They are all nice people at the PDSA but i never see the same person twice so i don't feel i get any continuity  there.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 15:02:29 PM »
PDSA are pretty notorious about not treating animals in any way except the cheapest and probably the only way this will be resolved is to see a good normal vet.

Stronghold flea teatment also treats ear mites, has this been tried?

Depending on the growth drops may not be able to get into the right part of the ear but stronghold works in a different way and not directly into the ears but through the body.

15 is not too old for an operation and there are very safe anesthetics now and it depends on what grade of heart murmour he has to determine whether that would cause an op to be too dangerous.

Again a good normal vet would do a lot more,

Offline aloise

• Kitten
  • Slave to: beau and george
ear troubles
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 14:43:43 PM »
Beau has been having trouble for 2 years with his ears. Numerous trips to the PDSA.I have been told that he has a growth over his ear drum and has a lot of mites to far down for me to reach, and that i must not attempt it. He has been on steroid and antibiotics but they won't operate as he is to old, 15, and has a heart mummer. Seems there isn't a lot they can do for him and ordinary ear drops are not going to do anything for him. But he is tormented with itching and i would like to try to ease that for him. Any ideas on ear drops that might help. No real point in going back to the PDSA if they can't help him.

Link to CatChat