Author Topic: Double trouble with teethy pegs!  (Read 2837 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Double trouble with teethy pegs!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 17:31:57 PM »
Thankfully he's already insured, so I don't think they'd class it as a pre-exisiting condition. I'm not sure.

I completely forgot to ask when I saw her again after their ops (old age must be setting in). She just told us to watch out for changes in his behaviour and breathing difficulties.

Shouldn't be a problem for the insurance then.   :)

You could ring up and ask what's written on his notes, if you really want to know. My vet seems reluctant to give me any numbers on anything, he has the most reassuring bedside manner and just wants folk to enjoy their pets.

I think he sees it as his job to do the worrying and mine to do the caring, not to get so over-protective that they don't get to be cats at all.  :naughty:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 17:14:06 PM »
Thankfully he's already insured, so I don't think they'd class it as a pre-exisiting condition. I'm not sure.

I completely forgot to ask when I saw her again after their ops (old age must be setting in). She just told us to watch out for changes in his behaviour and breathing difficulties.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 22:42:17 PM »
Sly was diagnosed by our locum vet as having a heart murmur last year, she didn't "grade" it for me, either, so I worried all year. But when I took him for his MOT and vaccs last week the regular vet couldn't hear anything wrong.

Apparently the stress of being at the vet can make the murmur sound more pronounced, and Sly was completely terrified the first time, but much more relaxed this year, so although my vet can't rule out his colleague's earlier diagnosis, he has told us not to worry at all because if it is there it is very mild indeed.

He told us to look out for signs of exhaustion when he's playing, and calm him down if he starts panting hard, other than this there's nothing we can do except enjoy our mischievous little scamp.

The only consideration he mentioned would be getting insurance, the murmur would need to be declared as a pre-existing condition and problems associated with his heart would not therefore be included.

Did your vet tell you more?

Glad the dental went well  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 21:09:17 PM »
Glad it all went OK  :) Matching patches eh? Trend setters!  :naughty:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 17:17:51 PM »
So pleased that they are home OK and sending loads of healing vibes  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 16:31:40 PM »
I'm very pleased to say that they are both back, everything went fine and they are a heck of a lot less grumpy than I thought they might be. (That might change once they realise I've been spiking their food with antibiotics.  :shify: )Both now only have their front teeth left. Fingers crossed for them holding on to those ones!

All my kitties now have matching bald patches.  :evillaugh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Double trouble with teethy pegs!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 20:18:52 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow boys :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 17:32:03 PM »
Good luck for the ops  :hug: :hug:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 17:19:49 PM »
I don't think she actually said. I'll have to ask when I take them in for their op. I didn't know there were different grades until I googled this afternoon, so I didn't know to ask!  ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 16:57:13 PM »
It's always a worry when they have to go in for an op but they'll both be just fine  :hug:

Did the vet say what grade the heart murmur was? I suspec it was the lowest grade seeing how it's not been picked up before and the fact that she's described it as slight. In which case I'd say there's nothingto worry about and it's unlikely to affect him. My childhood cat Benji had a slight heart murmur and he was the strongest, fittest cat you can imagine  :)

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
Double trouble with teethy pegs!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:36:13 AM »
Last night we took our collection of cats to the V-E-T for their annual MOT and injections. You'll be pleased to hear that Akamaru is doing fine and has put on weight since his bout of illness. However, Vader's gums have become worse and the V-E-T thinks it would be best to whip out several of his teeth to solve the problem (like Tachi had a couple of years ago). I feel terrible that he might have been in pain and I didn't know. He's still be eating fine (too well in fact, he's now 5.4kg of hunk!), so that wasn't even an indication. We knew his gums were a little red, but it was a wait and see how he's doing thing.

Anyway, he's booked in for the 29th to have the op. He will also be having a companion in there with him. Another two of Tachi's teeth are also looking like they are going the same way so he's going to be in with him to have those out, she did say that we could wait until after Christmas for him, but I hate they idea of them being in any pain.

I'm actually convinced that this is all a ruse ! They've seen Maru with his funky bald patches and have decided that they want to follow his trend setting style!

One other thing was that they discovered that Vader has a slight heart murmur that hadn't been picked up before. She told me it was nothing to worry about, but I'll be doing some googling to make sure. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Link to CatChat