Author Topic: Fleas/Tapeworm Larva ?  (Read 2192 times)

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
Re: Fleas/Tapeworm Larva ?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 22:24:09 PM »
Thanks everyone - Harry has been flea treated, wormed and my friend will spray carpets.  He is still on the worktop but hopefully once his isn't getting bitten anymore he will be back to normal.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 12:45:48 PM »
My goodness, I have never seen those, thank goodness and when I had Kocka she was infested big time as was my house......yes indorex was used and the vet sprayed her.

I was new to cats way back then and didnt even know about fleas but learnt quick!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 07:44:31 AM »
I think this is flea larvae. Had them in my old house when I lost control of the flea situation (we had neighbourhood cats coming in) - found them on my bedspread where the cats were sleeping.  :doh:

Indorex spray will sort it out - kills all life stages of the fleas for 12 months in the suroundings while you work on the cat. Get it on-line from Vet UK.

http://www.capcvet.org/images/Fleas/fleas2.htm

Add. Just re-read the original post about the cat being jumpy and not wanting to be on the floor?

Definitely fleas in the house. Poor mite is panicking as he clearly can see what your friend can't. I'd be surprised if grandson hasn't picked up a bite or two if he was on the floor, but it won't hurt him.

Spray everywhere then hoover, chuck out the bag (outside in the bin) then spray and hoover again. Concentrate on the warm areas like under radiators, bedding and soft furnishings, and make sure the cat is treated with a good topical flea treatment like Frontline or Stronghold to prevent re-infestation.

Need to treat the cat for tapeworm, too. The eggs of tapeworm are transmitted by fleas and any sign of fleas guarantees worm infestation too.

Buy all these things on-line from Vet UK. If you use the link from Purrs site a % goes to the charity. Now where did I see that link  :shify:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 13:21:03 PM by sheilarose »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 23:05:49 PM »
Just thought, maybe should put a worm into a jar so vet can see

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 23:01:34 PM »
Think you could well be right Gill !

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 22:53:40 PM »
I think she needs to check him over, get rid of the bedding and he is trying to get away from what ever is biting him which is likely to be fleas.

He may even be blaming her LOL

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 22:50:47 PM »
The worm is very tiny, white and wriggling around but not near his bottom - also there were some in his bed.  I think she is most concerned that he is hiding away as he is usually a lap cat.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 22:34:06 PM »
I'm sure I read that tapeworm segments were like grains of rice - did she describe the 'worm' to you? Tapeowrms and fleas can often go hand in hand so it's quite possible, did she say when he was last wormed? I wouldn't have thought there'd be any danger to her grandson as at that  yooung age I can't imagine he came into contact with the cat at all?

Edit: crossposted with Gill about the grains of rice!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 22:34:48 PM by Tiggy's Mum »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 22:33:18 PM »
I think tapeworms grow inside and if anything comes out they are like grains of rice, unless at worming which possible worms come out but dont know about this,

I have read Teresa mentioning worms coming out after worming but suspect they are a different type.

Fleas go from eggs to flea I think, Have there been any flies around cos this sounds like a possible fly infection. Does he have any kind of wound? If so these worms would feed off his skin and flesh and he would need urgent vet treatment.

It does sound like maybe he is being bitten by his behaviour and does sound like he has fleas.

Cant answer about the grandson but suspect no harm.

Hopefully the vet will answer all questions including this.

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
Fleas/Tapeworm Larva ?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 21:54:37 PM »
My friend's cat has what sounds like fleas (dirts and small spots of blood on the floor and bed) but she has also now seen a small white worm on his tummy and some in his bedding.     Is this likely to be tapeworm larva - this is no evidence of worms in his poo or bottom area.     He has eaten OK but behaving strangely this evening, hiding away and jumping onto the worktop which he never does.   She has a vet appointment for tomorrow but is worried about any danger to her three month old grandson who visited yesterday.   Appreciate any advice.

Link to CatChat