Author Topic: Cold Canadian Cat  (Read 2995 times)

Offline madwelshie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Macho RIP Tiggy, Anouska and Pruts.
Re: Cold Canadian Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 20:48:52 PM »
 :welcome: and hello from the Netherlands  :briggin:

Offline ronandcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 21:02:38 PM »
welcome to purrs from all lostcatsbrighton  :welcome: :welcome:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 17:07:49 PM »
Hello and  :welcome:  to Purrs. Hope you find a solution to the condensation problem so Mr Butter's stays warm and dry  :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 16:36:52 PM »
I've had a reply from Al ....

I don't use an electric heater or astro foil. I just put in hay. I also have the front door opening and an emergency side door. Along with that I mount my shelters onto wooden pallet which gets it off the ground a few inches .

These are the feral houses Al builds ....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 16:40:44 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 15:38:56 PM »
I'd like to also apologise for my appalling grammar - I am not sure what actually happened on my last post, but it shows that 'Preview' is a button I must use more regularly  :rofl: :rofl:

:evillaugh:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 15:35:25 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome:

Hello Canada!!  ;D

would love to see a photo of your Cat House! Mine is plastic thingy (thats a technical term btw  :rofl: ) with a cat flap on the front. it doesnt appear to suffer extreme condensation, how it has only a small fleece to sleep on. The warmer it is inside & the colder it is outside the more condensation there'll be.

Maybe only switch on the heated pad on extreme coldness? or use it for a small while?
Please note: I may not truely know what I am speaking about - just guessing  :evillaugh: lol

you can just see my cat house outside on this photo - I only got one as unfortunately I dont have anywhere to fit a Cat Flap. Not that my cat (also in photo) uses it. Was more popular with my other cat who loved it x
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Condensation is a real problem and I have a large shed with a plastic roof and its dripping as I speak and think artifical fabrics, especially shiney ones condensate much more than natural things. My shed has loads of ventalation but doesnt help.

I think that straw is a good idea but if the astro stuff is all over I think you need a further lining to cover it, maybe polystyrene sheets covered by wood?

Hope you find away to stop this and will be interested what succeeds.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 11:39:36 AM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Great to have you onboard.  Not really sure how to prevent condensation but I've done a bit of a search and it seems a drainage hole in the bottom and lining with wood seem to be the solution according to the ones for saleon the web.  I do know someone (Al Chernoff from Rescue Ink)  that builds cats houses for the ferals in Philadelphia so I will drop him a line ans ask him if he has a problem with condensation and how he tackles it  ;)

I do know he suggests putting kennels on a pallet to raise it off the floor slightly and he uses straw as bedding.  Will let you know if there are any other tips.

http://www.petprokennelstore.com/alsksmdogho.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:56:33 AM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:11:22 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs   ;D

Glad you've found us, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.  It really is a very friendly forum with lots of friendly helpful advice, if ever needed, and of course lots of fun.

I do feel it my public duty to warn you though that it can be a teensy bit addictive  :Crazy: You have been warned  :evillaugh:

I wonder whether a more natural insulation like straw might cause less condensation?

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 10:26:11 AM »
Welcome to Purrs Rod and  :welcome:

I'm not sure how to solve the condensation problem but would love to see a photo of Mr Butters and his house ;D
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Rod

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Mr. Butters
Cold Canadian Cat
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 02:27:15 AM »
Hello from Canada !!!! 
   Getting cold here in Canada & my outdoor cat shelter I built is warm enough for Mr. Butter's, but I am having problems with condensation inside of the shelter. 
  Wooden  shelter is 26" x 26" Sq. , lined with 5/16th Astro-Foil ; plus an 18" x 15" heated cat pad inside.   I have drilled two 1-1/2" holes on the back-side, but I'm still getting condensation inside.
  Any solutions anyone???
Rod  D.

Link to CatChat