Author Topic: I need help with my loud cat!  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
Re: I need help with my loud cat!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 12:21:12 PM »
You want a noisy cat you should meet my Siamese Coco she could talk for Britain and at the top of her lungs. :naughty:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 16:26:16 PM »
Just reading your posts - I hope the situation has improved!
has she been neutered or ever been in season prior to neutering? It could be she's "calling"? (I dont know, I have males but we always had females when I was growing up) even though theres no need to now?

I had Tazi (who was a meer squeeker rather than a cryer) but when I got Nuggie, who is very vocal, Tazi rarely made a noise (I presume it was because he didnt need to 'speak' cos Nuggie did all the talking and demanding lol) However, not long before he died he became very vocal indeed. Loud and piercing. I discovered he'd gone Deaf. He was an elderly gent by then, but maybe your little girl has always had hearing problems and being in a new place she is being vocal cos she cant assess whats around and about properly? Again just a theory?

A cat flap may help as said in previous replies - also speak to your neighbours, be apologetic and they may sympathise as she is just settling in? Often people have more tolerance if they know you are trying to rectify the problem.
Also maybe try Feliway so she feels more settled in your new flat?
But as Mymblesdaughter has said it might be hard to change her. She clearly loves to talk and sing lol Nuggie is still annoyingly vocally demanding (although doesnt disturb the neighbours)

anyway - i hope everything has settled down for you!!
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:52:03 PM »
Do you own the flat? How about putting a cat flap in your door, you could set it so she could come in only. Or offering to pay to get a proper lock on the entrance door so that it shuts properly. You usually need a proper closing lock on the entrance door for insurance so could be worth bringing up with your landlord or freeholder.

I have a noisy cat, I don't think it's possible to change them and would be a shame to do so as it's part of their personality. I think you're going to have to work around her.

Are there any treats she likes maybe feed them at night to get her in. I shake the box of treats or packet of dreamies and mine come running.       

Offline The bleu emu

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 23:44:06 PM »
Hi guys!

Sorry for the delay!

She has always been a noisy cat, but we just moved into this new flat a few months ago and I'm really worried that she is bothering our new neighbours.

To be more specific, we do live in a ground floor flat. The building we live in has a front and back entrance to get in the main hallway to access the flats, then our door is on the ground floor of the building.

She is able to nudge the back door open as it doesn't actually have a latch so she sneaks in and meows like crazy. We leave the window open for her to come in and out all day while we're home, but it's not very safe to leave it open while we're out/asleep so if we can't get in her before we go out/go to bed then she just has to stay out. We always try to call on her for at least 30 mins to an hour before bed but cats will be cats and ignore you :-P

Shes only 2 years old and I'm really trying to get her out of this phase before she gets any older. Everytime we catch her inside the close we put her straight back outside but she isn't taking a hint. I don't want to open the back window when I catch her in the close because I don't want her to associate meowing really loud with being let in the house...I think that will just encourage her to get louder and louder. I wait about 20 - 30 mins, go to open the window to let her in only to find that she's managed to sneak back in the hallway.

I actually can't stress how much noise she makes and i'm really getting worried about how loud she is and how the neighbours will get fed up. As I said before, she has NEVER been let in our front door so I don't know where this obsession has come from. Our other cat seems to understand perfectly so I don't know where we went wrong with Clover. It has to stop or else she will need to just be kept inside all the time to save the neighbours being woken up at crazy o'clock in the morning by the meows.

Does anyone have any advice? Or have you been in a similar situation?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 23:48:47 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs

I assume she goes out through the back window and is able to open the main door to your block and then howls at the door to your flat to come in.  Is the back window easily accessible for her to get back in?  What about when you go out? 

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 14:13:30 PM »
Perhaps she's going deaf? It's no good getting exasperated!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 13:34:50 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

First is that you cant train a cat, they train you |LOL

However I am having a problem visualizing the property, you say you live on the ground floor flat of a tenament and she keeps opening the tenament door.

I am probably being really stoooooopid but if you are on the ground floor, does this mean the entrance and exit to your flat is a different door to the door of the tenament?

If so why dont you keep her in a night?

Going back to what I first said, all cats are different and some like to chat and cats are not like dogs, you cant stop them. I have chatty birmans LOL

How old is she and if elderly and this noisyness is new, you should get her checked out by the vet, otherwise she is trying to get your attention because she has figured out that you have a door and wants to come in , maybe

Offline The bleu emu

• Kitten
I need help with my loud cat!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 08:12:40 AM »
I have two cats. One is very well behaved but the other is incredibly loud and difficult to train. 

We live in a flat on the ground floor of a tenement. She is actually able to nudge the back door of the tenement open and sits on our doorstep and meows as loud as possible. We have been very careful to never let her in or out our front door (they both use the back window) but for some reason she keeps coming in the tenement. We are very concerned that our neighbours will start complaining as she does it in the middle of the night and probably while we arent home. She has actually woken me up at 3am...she was so loud i heard her through my closed bedroom door. I don't know how to keep her out of the tenement - we've tried making loud noises, chasing her out and even squirting her with water but nothing works! I have never had such a loud, chatty cat and she is starting to drive everyone crazy! I need to find some way to resolve this or else she will have to kept inside all the time - that would be such a shame as she loves going out! We always try to get her in before going to bed but obviously cant always get her in. Any suggestions?

Link to CatChat