Author Topic: covcats - kittens left right and centre!  (Read 6709 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: covcats - kittens left right and centre!
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 12:40:30 PM »
I live in a flat and have two cats from Celia Hammond. I ended up with two kittens as I fostered them with their mother. They can go outside as I'm ground floor but usually they wouldn't let kittens go to homes without an outside.  There are indoor cats at the centre in Hastings that have been waiting for over a year for homes.

There seem to be so many cats advertised that need new homes in the local papers, online, shop windows etc. For instance my sister has a pregnant cat that's just appeared in her barn. I find it difficult to believe that anyone has to buy a cat.

Offline Anka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 01:34:09 AM »
Gill , I know - and also know a lot of other people who got their pets by simply buying them as they too were not ever considered for adoption. Such a shame really :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 01:32:53 AM »
WE have had others on here that could not get a rescue to home to them, so you are not alone Anka  :hug: :hug:

Sadly some rescues have cut in stone rules with no flexabilty at all..............Angie is not one  ;D

Offline Anka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 01:26:02 AM »
Angie - belive me, I have tried MOST rescues around where I am and every single one refused.

My old cat died last year, he was not really old, he was under 10 ye but had kidney cancer and had to be PTS.

I have contacted lots of rescues to get a cat but no way - flat, work, dog......

I got 4 kittens to join the family at the end, yes - I bought them.

MY dog (that I bought as well) absolutely adored them from day one (some photos on another thread about members photos), 2 of them moved out when my daughter did to go with her so have 2 boys left and an extra boy (long story) and all get on with the dog brilliantly.

2 out fo 3 like to go out so they go out - into a communal garden where everyone likes them and makes a fuss of them One is a 90% indoor cat - his chice as he is permanently positioned in the kitchen where the food is ;)

3 months ago one of them needed an op, luxating patella, had one leg done and will need another one done too - all my pets are insured, neutered, microchipped, vaccinated, wormed, flea treated and on decent quality food.

When I work - dog walker takes the dog out for 1-2 hours around lunch time.

So yes, my fury family is now complete BUT those could have been rescue animals - if  only...

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:27:10 AM by Anka »

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 01:18:03 AM »
there are rescues who will home to flats - we do so its really a matter of, if one rescue says no, try another.

Offline Anka

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 22:32:40 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zlRV5Vee98&feature=related

pretty straight forward as well!

That one I think would make sense IF some rescues did not have very unrealistic expectations as to who can adopt a dog/cat to be honest.

I have tried to adopt both dog and cats but no rescue would even bother with a home check as I live in a flat and was working at the time.

I did get my dog and my cats by buying them but will not be sent on a guilt trip that this way I have killed any animal in a shelter, sorry - I was refused ANY animal from the shelter.

So, there is a bit more to it, isn't there?

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 15:44:12 PM »

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 13:58:33 PM »
I like this Peta video about spaying and neutering. Illustrates the state of things in a way that anyone can relate to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaiSdKIdISI

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 19:42:52 PM »
They are lovely, the little hairies are particularly cute :Luv:

I despair of people sometimes.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 17:33:24 PM »
I have just seen this on FB and thoiught it really good.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 00:29:19 AM »
I agree that the wording needs to blunt as many will not understand.

Also think the dilute tortie and maybe a ginger would have more impact with the non-cat obsessed cat people!

Have to say both my good vets would not to a neuter or spay before 6 months when I was enquiring after Christmas and just not early enough.

Read your pm Angie please !

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 22:57:39 PM »
What is wrong with the black one Rosella! ;D  Or the gorgeous long coated tabby and white?  :naughty: 

I've never really understood the attraction of those colourings Judith  :innocent: ;)

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 22:30:02 PM »
I think is is an excellent start, and really gives you something to think about. 

When we attended the event and sat through the early neutering lecture it was very inspiring and interesting, apart from the 'photos of late spays if you know what I mean  :(

But what made it worse was when I got home there was a message from a member of the public, cat experienced with a not so laid back Ragdoll, who had taken a stray female to a local vet to enquire about spaying her (she already had a litter with the lady).  They refused because she still had some milk.  We had just dropped off a pack detailing the early spay information at the same vets a short time earlier.  Let us hope someone reads it, and it just doesn't get binned.  >:(

hat is wrong with the black one Rosella! ;D  Or the gorgeous long coated tabby and white?  :naughty:

I hope you can see why I was desperate to get them into a good foster home (it wasn't just our high numbers here), but the black long coat and long coated tabby were reminders of much loved cats that we were servants to in the past and the temptation was huge!  :naughty:  Thanks for not only saving them Angie, but reducing my temptation!  :hug:
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 19:43:58 PM »
Not sure that "last injection" is clear enough Angie and, sadly, think Eve's dilute tortie would make more of an impact  :( 

Oh hell  :'( :'( :'( :'( ........... think I'm either getting too cynical or reality is hitting a little too hard tonight. 

Will try and see if I can muster a few pennies Angie but really can't face homing another. Take my hat off to Covcats peeps as always  :gold stars: :gold stars: :gold stars:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 19:36:39 PM »
Hmmmm - not sure.  We on Purrs understand what you are saying but I'm not convinced that the people you are trying to reach would understand what you mean by 'last injection' or even 'first vac' come to that.  :(   Not that I can think of anything better so its worth a try.  :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 18:47:06 PM »
campaign photo?

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 13:21:11 PM »
What beautiful kittens! People are such idiots sometimes. If they don't feel they can care for the kittens they've allowed to become, why don't they seek out proper help instead of dumping them?

its probably because no one can help as we are all so full. if I had a call about someone who couldn't "get rid" of their kittens it'd be very low priority. Even 6 abandoned kittens in a hedge, though not low priority, is something we are lucky to squeeze in.
We are desperately trying to reduce our numbers at the moment not take new ones on.

we went to a cats protection roadshow day thursday and ?David Yates? the RSPCA chap advocating neutering from 9 weeks old said if we don't get on top of this we will be a position of having to Kill 50% of the domestic "pets" soon.

I spoke to vet about it this morning when we went in for first vacs x 6. I said the way things were going they were lucky they weren't going in for the other sort of jab.  :'(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
What beautiful kittens! People are such idiots sometimes. If they don't feel they can care for the kittens they've allowed to become, why don't they seek out proper help instead of dumping them?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 18:37:13 PM »
totally agreeing with eves dilute..stunning colours :Luv2:
I dont know how you carry on , its just endless isnt it :-[
If i won the lotto i would buy a big house with miles of land and create a rescue like that mans in america- but better with on team vets etc :shy:, its such a shame that our country cant take responsiblity for all these animals and this has to continue, its a disgrace  :-[

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 17:16:06 PM »
So very beautiful; all of them  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:  Eve's dilute Torti reminds me so much of our Dingle RIP.  Wonder if she'll be a little witch too  :evillaugh:

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:03:58 AM »
WOW they are stunning i love eves dilute lol. people make me sick tho, at least u have them now and they will be well cared for  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:00:17 AM »
omg those two tortis  :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
covcats - kittens left right and centre!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 07:28:33 AM »
They're adorable and i hop they are homed quickly when the time comes but, like you, I wonder where it will end :( When last years kittens haven't found homes yet it hits home how bad things are for all those involved in rescue :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 22:05:24 PM »
They are gorgeous but why bring them up to this age and then dump them...........no I dont think its ends  :(

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 22:05:00 PM »
just added another 6 to our website and hopefully will take photos of 7 more on friday with 2 other fosterers.

eves kittens - born at mine 18/08 and ready to go, with Sue.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
covcats - kittens left right and centre!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 22:02:10 PM »
Does it never end?

not only still picking up mums and babies also getting dumped kittens in - well, I say dumped. these 6 came in an hour ago living under someones hedge. Feral - not a bit of it. Very good size and 8-10 weeks old!

long hair black, long hair tabby , short black n white, 3 more tabbies (I think!).

frontline, milbemax. food and left to it until morning!

Link to CatChat