Author Topic: Urgent home needed for FeLV cat out of options. - (Sad News, RIP Sir Smokey xx)  (Read 9942 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Goodnight God Bless Sir Smokey xxx Plenty of Babies on the Bridge to Welcome him xx  :hug: xx

You did a lovely thing GriffyBrush, you tried to find him a loving home, but he had become tired  :(

My boy went away, suddenly (and on appearance illness free), to fall asleep with the Angels. But I always said in the past, that if I ever had to make that choice for him or his brother I would. When in pain or so poorly it is the last loving thing you could ever do for them. I too, would rather suffer my heartache and grief than see them continue in pain. You did good by Sir Smokey  :Luv2: xx  :hug: xx

Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Not me the generous soul.

Those who devote their lives to lost causes and inevitable heartbreak are the ones who deserve the plaudits and support from those like me who can only gawp in wonder at how they manage. Griffybrush is one of my new heroes.  :hug:

I only have one little FIVer in my gang of seven and he adds a sparkle to our otherwise normal existence because he is so special (and generally healthier than the rest of 'em).

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
What a lovely, kind and generous gesture Sheila  :hug: Purrs people really are the best  :hug:

RIP Sir Smokey, safe and sound at the Bridge by now xx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
Sent a few quid to Bob and Barbara Hunt, of Catwork, Somerset, in memory of Sir Smokey.

Their FIV/Felv Rescue is full, but they still offered to find room for the little guy, bless.

Their stoic work continues for the many that survive and indeed thrive under their tender care and they are striving to educate owners, vets and rescues of the realities of these conditions, as opposed to accepting the untruths. They have produced a booklet on the subject which is to be launched at the Animal Charities Fair in London on 6th November.

RIP Sir Smokey, maybe things will be better for your kind in future, thanks to generous souls like Griffybrush, Bob and Barbara.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
JS has said it all, you showed him all the love and kindness you could and am sure you did exactly what was right for him  :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Sir Smokey you were loved more than you could know, play hard on the Bridge

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
sad but you probably helped him out more than you know  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
:'(  :hug: :hug:

Godbless Sir Smokey xx

(eta: I have pmd you Griffybrush)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 14:49:50 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Urgent home needed for FeLV cat out of options.
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 11:18:14 AM »
Well done for trying to help; and for recognising when an animal needed you to make the choice every animal carer dreads.

Sir Smokey knew love, compassion and warmth. This will have meant more to him than you probably realise. :care:

Rest Easy, Sir Smokey. In the end, you had a family that loved you. And they always will.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Griffybrush

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Many
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 10:48:41 AM »
He went last night at 6pm, I thought I'd hold it together but for some reason watching him just lay down and close his eyes really got to me. The vet who did it said that the lumps were definitely there and rather large which somehow comforted me in knowing that I wasn't imagining those and that he might have been healthy somewhat, before we took him he started mewling in pain if you touched under his front legs so I think we did it, not to sound horrible but just in time for him to not suffer. All the animals seemed to know what was going on and Sir Smokey seemed happier somehow, he only cared when the line went in and he gave a few mewls but still didn't try to get away.

He was so tired, at least now he can sleep on the bridge without pain.

:Luv:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2011, 23:53:31 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: For you and Sir Smokey.xx

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 21:35:21 PM »
Sir Smokey is a great name  ;D

It doesnt matter if you do break down, it just shows you care about him and the vets will be used to this  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Well done CP and hope he passes quickly and safely tomorrow, Napoleon will be waiting for him on the Bridge

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2011, 21:33:51 PM »
Crying is only human, we have loved and lost so may characters throught the years and have cried for everyone, some were in  our lives for many years others for a fleeting moment and the vets have cried with us to so go with your feelings xx

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2011, 18:47:41 PM »
Sir Smokey it is, thank you.

All Purrs vibes are with you and Sir Smokey (and your Mum).

Life is a blessing, but sometimes leaving the pain behind is better.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Griffybrush

• Kitten
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2011, 18:33:12 PM »
Griffybrush is the name of my eldest male so I get odd with naming but my mother has been calling him Sir Smokey so that's his name, I've never dealt with an animal death so while CP have been lovely to me once again and offered to pay to let him go, I'm hoping I don't break down totally when I'm there even though I know this is best for him.

:hug: Thank you all for your kind words, I'll be sure to pass on cuddles to him for you all.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Urgent home needed for FeLV cat out of options.
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 17:17:12 PM »
so sorry to hear that but glad he found you though to care about him so much, it makes me so glad that people like you exist in the world :hug:

Very sorry to hear this :hug: Can only echo the above : hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 16:40:09 PM »
Giving them love and  a safe haven in their last days is a wonderful thing and he will never be forgotten but he does need a name so he can be added to the Purrs memorial list

I am sorry that it has had to end this way but sometimes the world moves in ways that we don't understand but in his last days he found love and comfort and somebody who cared, luckier than an awful lot  :hug: :hug:

I second what Liz has said and am so pleased he found you and you cared so much.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Please give him a name so I can add him to the 5th Purrs Birthday Roll of Honour that will be published in about 3 weeks for the last year, he should be remembered  :hug: :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 14:19:15 PM »
Giving them love and  a safe haven in their last days is a wonderful thing and he will never be forgotten but he does need a name so he can be added to the Purrs memorial list

I am sorry that it has had to end this way but sometimes the world moves in ways that we don't understand but in his last days he found love and comfort and somebody who cared, luckier than an awful lot  :hug: :hug:

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 14:12:08 PM »
so sorry to hear that but glad he found you though to care about him so much, it makes me so glad that people like you exist in the world :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 12:50:51 PM »
Aww I'm so sad to read this, you must be heartbroken  :hug: godbless you for caring so much.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
sorry to hear this  :hug:  :hug: x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 12:12:02 PM »
Sorry to hear that Griffybrush  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »
A valiant effort, Griffybrush, a new Purrs Hero.

He's had a few comfortable days to see him on his way to the bridge, Thanks to you.

Offline Griffybrush

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 11:50:57 AM »
The vet said he was about 3 but due to being a bit roughed up couldn't tell that well but that he wasn't older than that because he didn't posses the features an unneutered male of an age older than that should have.

He's gone downhill since last night so the decision has been made that it'd be kinder for him to be put to sleep likely tomorrow, we'll be there with him and hope that the time he was here being warm and loved made him at least happy and comfortable in these last days, he simply won't move any more and it's obvious looking at him he's in pain and has given up, he won't even lift his head any more.

Thanks to everyone, especially to Barbara at Catworks and Edd for letting me know about them, she would have had him and arranged a friend to take him but from calling her yesterday to finding the lump he's just given up even more so and I didn't want to force such a long journey on him when, from how he won't leave his dark hole or eat, it seems he wouldn't have long any way, I'm also thinking that given the story I've received about his mother and siblings and the previous owners, he's had it from birth (the vets and Barbara thinks so too) and this is him going and I'd rather let him go peacefully before it starts causing him real pain and suffering, he's already starting panting for no reason while laying down.

My own cats won't leave my lap, I think they know how upsetting this is but it's the right thing to do at this point for him but I thank everyone for their advice and help, I'm staying in contact with Barbara so I know where to go if I ever run into this issue again and also because she's a wonderful lady doing a wonderful thing.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 11:12:29 AM »
no real advice im afraid- just hope he manages to find a place soon. :hug:
I second having his lump checked over to see if it is something serious or not, at least it will put your mind at rest if it is nothing to worry about.
Its a shame the midlands doesnt seem to have a place for these cats  :(

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 11:07:39 AM »
The lovely lady from Catworks is seeing if she can help by taking him but she's so far and travel is the problem we need to try and figure out mostly. We'll see how he goes over the weekend and what this lady can do for us if anything.

It would be marvelous if the lovely couple that run Catwork sanctuary for FIV/Felv and Special needs cats can take this cat. Its only 125 miles approx from Birmingham to their sanctuary - mainly A38/M5 I think, so not a long distance bearing in mind some of the transport runs that have been made.

When you know, would be best to put up a transport request if you need help getting him to the sanctuary.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:09:44 AM by Edd »

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »
We find ourselves in the Midlands quite often (Father in Law is in care in Nuneaton) and could possibly help with transport to London if you can find him a place.

Let me know if I can help?

Sheila

PS does this lovely boy have a name?

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 00:42:17 AM »
The transport section is not just for rescues.

Could you get him checked over by a vet, do you know how old he is?

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 19:54:15 PM »
One of our cats didn't poo much and he had some condition which didn't affect him much but just made his stools harder and he went less often.  Not sure the name but the vet could feel the bowel full and said that some cats do store it but was ok.  Hopefully it's something like that this cat has.  All the best for him, fingers crossed transport can be sorted.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 19:56:02 PM by Janeyk »

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 19:24:28 PM »
There is a transport section on this forum so might be worth looking at if the Catworks woman can take him.  Not sure if this is just for rescue centres but someone else can probably give you more information.

Offline Griffybrush

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 18:02:34 PM »
The lovely lady from Catworks is seeing if she can help by taking him but she's so far and travel is the problem we need to try and figure out mostly. I've also unfortunately felt his stomach for the first time and there's definitely a lump in his abdomen, it doesn't cause him any pain but with the FeLV, the want to do nothing but sleep in whatever room we don't have lights on in and the fact that defecating doesn't seem to come often from him I'm starting to think he's a lot sicker than initially thought and that he was really abandoned because he started showing signs of illness, I'm also fairly certain he has an ear infection so if this lady can't take him it's looking more and more like it would be kinder to let him go peacefully, it's so sad to just see him find the darkest corner and curl up to sleep, he also eats like a beast though, which is why him not defecating much seems like another sign of illness.

We'll see how he goes over the weekend and what this lady can do for us if anything.

Offline Griffybrush

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 11:31:05 AM »
As far as I'm aware rescues will take FIV cats because it's harder to spread but FeLV can be spread just by noses touching, CP rehomes FIV cats but not FeLV, as well as most I called, I guessed it's because FIV they can live without issues just like normal cats but with FeLV, when the cat starts to go downhill it's a horrible crash and rehoming cats with FeLV means that somewhere down the line, the owner knows that they've going to have their heart broken and the cat will be in pain, no matter how short it'll still suffer a little and as I'm sure at least some people here agree, sometimes it's kinder to put the animal down if you know for certain they've eventually going to be in pain but of course at the same time you'll always think "yeah but what if it lives until it's 18 and dies of something unrelated to FeLV?" that's why this is hard for me, he seems tired and like he's given up but I also feel that if by any chance I could find someone to just love him or somebody to take and test him so my mother can love him as she's infatuated with him, that'd be great for him but the only thing I'm certain of is he can't stay here, the garden isn't big enough to have a pen installed otherwise I would get one.

But yeah, FIV isn't as contagious as FeLV, feeding bowls, drinking, litter trays, grooming, nuzzling, scratches, biting, FeLV appears to be able to be passed through every type of contact and my cats are very loving, they'd try to get to him even in a cage and it's not fair to keep them locked out of half their house, I don't want them to start stressing out, they already try to race through the door when I go through it, it terrifies me that by trying to keep them out I'm going to catch one of them in the door.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »
Hi Griffybrush

You could also try contacting CHAT unfortunately they are only in London and the south east but they don't put cats down that have FIV so I presume it's the same with FELV. They have a sanctuary here in Hastings but I know it's full. It might be worth giving them a ring as they give advise as well. Looks like they home cats that have FIV with cats that don't successfully so maybe you could keep him with your cats without any problems.

I really hope you manage to sort something out for the poor chap.   

http://www.celiahammond.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=14&MMN_position=21:21

Their phone number in Hastings is  01424 882198 the person to speak to is Carolyn. 

Offline Griffybrush

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 10:43:40 AM »
All my own are vaccinated but it's never 100%, my own vets said they wouldn't know just how protected they were without doing some sort of immunity test and I may be terribly paranoid but even if it was 99.9% I could never risk my own cats and also the foster cats which I may have to stop doing until he goes because apparently guidelines mean I can't keep them when there's the slightest risk of infection at all.

What I'm worrying about now is whether being vaccinated against it would show up as a false-positive, does any one know if that's possible?
At this point I just need anybody who could take him and make sure it's not a false-positive, it's driving me mad and all the cats, every last one of them are going mad about being kept locked away from each other and he wants to go outside due to having been outside for somewhere between 1-2 years, I keep wanting to just neuter him then let him go outside, set up a shelter and put food out each night but I obviously can't because...well that might possible put other cats in the area at risk if he decides he doesn't like them and if he DOES have it, I'd rather him go peacefully rather than in 6 months time die in agony.

Funnily enough it's the RSPCA who told me to just "let him go, cats are resourceful."

Catworks got back to me though, they asked if they could phone me so I've given them my number and everything crossed they can help somehow.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 07:20:57 AM »
Poor little chappy, fingers crossed you find someone to help and bless you for not giving up on him, he's so lucky to have you right now  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 20:54:06 PM »
The test is about £40.00 to send to Glasgow

FELV is a very bad disease and we have all ours vaccinated against it annually

Offline Griffybrush

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 18:48:34 PM »
Apparently rescues won't help re-home a FeLV cat as they'd put them down themselves so they've said no to direct homing which is how I got directed here.

I don't know how much it would cost but waiting for the results would still take time, time that I can't have him in the house for, if I could even find somebody to take him, have the bloods sent off and if he proved negative I'd happily have him back but he just can't stay when all the signs point to infection, he sleeps so much and sometimes he just looks like he's given up himself and the scars from fighting seem to just back up the diagnosis, I feel so bad for him.

I'll contact catworks and see if they know anybody that can help though, thanks for that.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 18:20:27 PM »
definately worth getting a proper test done. Snap tests are usless for FELV and its 50/50 as to if its accurate or not.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 18:15:10 PM »
PS

Sorry forgot to add this link for you. Catworks is a FIV/FeLV sanctuary down south. Although it is full - it may be worth speaking with them - they may know of people in Birmingham who could help get a full diagnosis and/or help in rehoming:

http://www.v63.net/catsanctuary/felv.html

Think you can contact them by e-mail  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 18:02:24 PM »
What a beautiful boy  :Luv: I really hope a Florence Nightingale can be found for him  :hug:

Very interesting reading there from the links Edd posted, I wonder if it's worth going back to the vets and asking that, seeing as they didn't send the bloods off for the free Glasgow test which would have confirmed the results, would they considering retesting for free so the new sample can be sent away?

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 17:52:44 PM »
Just cross-posting your original thread:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,39313.msg691224.html#msg691224

I am surprised that they did not send the bloods off after the snap test - as I think that Glasgow test for feLV free of charge if positive from an Elisa test  :shocked:  Even so CP own national standards is to have any positive Felv test confirmed 12 weeks apart or it used to be. I would say that it is very important to understand whether this cat is permanently infected.

Do you know how much it will cost for the vet to send bloods off  - perhaps you could speak with CP again or when speaking with other local rescues to see whether they would help by paying for the tests to get a proper diagnosis.

If he ends up not being infected would you be able to keep him?

Also if he is confirmed as permanently infected there are some sanctuaries that will take permanently infected FeLV cats.

http://www.catchat.org/leukaemia.html

Link to CatChat