Author Topic: Bonnie's been ill since 8th Oct. BUT 99% better now and seeing vet in Feb 2012  (Read 27889 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Bonnie's been ill since 8th October
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2011, 08:57:24 AM »
glad you seem to be getting answer Mary, we had a pill cutter from the chemist for a couple of pounds when we needed one

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2011, 07:02:22 AM »
 :innocent: :evillaugh:   Like a crack factory.......   :shify:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2011, 22:41:01 PM »
What ever Kocka was on, I used to grind them up and divide that way, I just couldnt break em up.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2011, 22:28:50 PM »
I know I know - just watch far too much telly for my own good.

I think it would be very, very funny to have a mirror with lines of amlodipine on the coffee table when vicar/MP comes for tea, then try to explain...it's for the cat...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hope the meds work, however you choose to administer them  ;)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2011, 22:19:31 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl :what the chuff are you on girl?????

Not a bad idea actually  :thanks:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2011, 21:54:50 PM »
Little helper:

If the tablets go in food, you can grind them up in that old pestle and mortar you've been looking at for 20 years, then make a "line" - pretend like you're in the movies and cutting a bit of "Charlie"

This lets you measure quite accurately any fraction of a pill, so if only a quarter is needed, shape your line to an inch long then just nip a quarter inch off and put it in the food.

Pop the rest into a paper knottie with the fraction remainder written on (eg 3/4) so next time you know how much to nip off.

Don't I got a good vet?

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2011, 21:17:59 PM »
 :thanks: Carol, seems crazy we are on the same meds  :Crazy: :rofl:

You are right, the pills are 5 mg, cut into 4 that I got from the vet.

My tablets are Amlodipine - 5mg and Simvastatin 40mg.

I will definately check before even thinking of giving any to her. Cheers chuck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2011, 21:09:30 PM »
Mary, amlodipine is Istin (Istin is the trade name whereas amlodipine is its chemical name) so you are both on the same thing.  However, there are different strengths and Bonniewill be on a fraction of the lowest dose tablet which I think from memory is a 5 mg tablet.  The most common strength used in adult humans is 10 mg so be careful if you decide to use your medication for Bonnie.  :hug:

So glad you have got something sorted and hope she does well and stabilised easily on the tablets.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2011, 20:13:21 PM »
Thanks everyone.  :hug:

I must be special (or maybe it's Bonnie they like!) - the nurses cut them for me.  They look pretty good too so I'll have to ask them when I go back what they use.

It's Istin Bonnie's on. 

Mike told me there isn't one for cats so they use human ones and cut them into 4.  So if it's gonna cost me a fortune I might have a word with my doctor cos I don't pay for prescriptions with being a full time carer for my mum.  ;) :naughty: I'm on Simvistatin and Amlodipine.

Love Mary and a much happier Bonnie Bum xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2011, 17:53:39 PM »
So very pleased to hear this Mary.  And a good job he decided to do the test after all.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2011, 17:44:05 PM »
Great news! We had to balance Agatha out using 1/8 Istin one day, 1/6 Istin next... took a little getting the balance right, and some highly accurate pill cutting!! But we were also dealing with hyperthyroidism with her, too, which made it hard work getting the balance of drugs right! I see a fair few BP cases coming through... not always picked up on or tested for by the vets and can have terrible consequences...
SO pleased she's getting sorted  :) and more relief for you  :hug:
Liz x

Our Pep was initially on 1/8 of Istin (he was also hyperthyroid) but since his thyroid has stabilised his bp has also been fine. Yes they are a nightmare to cut aren't they!! I got a pill cutter - which was hopeless, I found the best thing was a sharp kitchen knife.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2011, 17:32:08 PM »
Soooooooooooooo pleased to here this and cant remenber what BP meds Kocka was on but know it was a quarter of a mini tablet, sadly it was found to late before her retinas started detaching but do hope its quick enough for Bonnie  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2011, 17:09:23 PM »
Great news! We had to balance Agatha out using 1/8 Istin one day, 1/6 Istin next... took a little getting the balance right, and some highly accurate pill cutting!! But we were also dealing with hyperthyroidism with her, too, which made it hard work getting the balance of drugs right! I see a fair few BP cases coming through... not always picked up on or tested for by the vets and can have terrible consequences...
SO pleased she's getting sorted  :) and more relief for you  :hug:
Liz x
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2011, 16:44:06 PM »
Great news Mary, hopefully things will improve much now.  We think that our Pep went blind due to high bp which was only picked up when he was handed over for homing.  Glad that it's been checked out  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2011, 16:41:09 PM »
 :thanks: everyone  :hug:

Following on from her blood test results which were good the vet decided today that she needed her blood pressure taking.  It showed to be high 220 instead of 180 and she's now on pills for it - go back in 4 weeks and hopefully it'll show that they are working.  Vet said it will clear her eye up and she will be able to see more clearly too.

Glad it doesn't cost me £60 when I get my BP tested every month!!

Mary and Bonnie xx

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
  • In loving memory of my beloved Butch 1998-2010
  • Slave to: Fudge & Ariel
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2011, 20:16:51 PM »
So happy to hear that Bonnie is feeling better  ;D ;D hope that she is over the worst of whatever made her so poorly and that she continues to feel better  :hug: :hug:

Denise
Xxx
The Purrs 2013 Christmas Auction is now on!
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 
Will you be a bidder, or donate something to auction - or both?!

Den22

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2011, 14:15:24 PM »
Great news on Bonnie,Mary.Give her a cuddle from Daisy & I.
center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2011, 20:34:57 PM »

Gave her a kiss Jane and she licked my nose so not sure if that's for me or you  :rofl:

Mary

Aww bless  :Luv2:

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2011, 18:04:16 PM »
Hi Mary,
Just speed reading what's happening with Bonnie, so many apologies if I've missed a post. Glad she's eaten something...
A blood pressure check is vital! This MUST be done on a basis of taking her in, letting her settle down, and doing it and no other treatment/bloods or messing with her beforehand, and this WILL affect her blood pressure reading.  I have nursed with a LOT of poor vets, so it's imperative you find a good vet. Agatha was hyperthyroid and hypertensive, and after a few weeks getting the  balance right on Istin (and hyper-T treatment), she was absolutely fine. I see quite a few high blood pressure cats coming through which we check, and detached retinas are fairly common in older cats, but can be rectified if treatment is sought as soon as possible. I would urge you to find a good cat vet for future visits with Bonnie... or ask for a referral. You are so obviously prepared to care for her the best you can, so a good vet is one to hang on to! All vets are good/interested in different things, I know the vet I use is amazing with our cats and rabbits, so I always use her, but for the dogs I use a different vet, because he is particularly fab with canines!
Got everything crossed Bonnie improves quickly, and sending a big hug your way...
Liz
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2011, 15:41:25 PM »
So pleased to hear Bonnie is on the mend , long may it continue with no more problems
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »
So pleased to hear she's eating tons, sorry tins  :rofl: of food again!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Bonnie's been ill since 8th October
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2011, 00:09:35 AM »
Very pleased to hear this more positive update :hug:

Keep up the good work Bonnie :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2011, 00:02:16 AM »
I do hope that this continues  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2011, 22:32:22 PM »
Sending much love to you both and very much hope this improvement continues Mary. 

These are for you  :hug: :hug: :hug: and this for young Bonnie Babe  :care:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2011, 22:03:59 PM »
Wooops Gillian - I meant TINS not TONS  :rofl:

Gave her a kiss Jane and she licked my nose so not sure if that's for me or you  :rofl:

Mary

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2011, 22:01:14 PM »
 :) that's good news Mary.  Hope that Bonnie continues to improves, give her a little kissie from me  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2011, 21:56:03 PM »
she's had 1 1/2 tons of Gourmet Gold today

Wow!  :wow:

Sounding positive  :hug: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2011, 21:40:17 PM »
Well my little Bonnie Bum is on the top of the Rollercoaster at the moment - she's had 1 1/2 tons of Gourmet Gold today and some Dreamies and water today.

Last night she was up and down on the bed and walking all over me.  She was meowing at the door which meant she wanted some grass - so I went and got some nice grass for her from the gardena nd she ate it. She is never sick after eating grass and she wasn't this time either.

Susanne I think it will always be a mystery as to what happened to bring all this on.  A bit like me when I was 3 years old - my ankle was hurting and nothing could be done to get rid of the pain - they finally opened my leg up and I had osteomiltis (deseased bone) and in 1963 they didn't know much about it so I had ops every year until the final one in 1976 that cured me.

Thanks again for all your best wishes and cuddles etc.  :hug:
Love Mary and Bonnie Bum xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2011, 13:09:41 PM »
topping up the get better wishes  :hug: x

And more from me :care:  :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2011, 13:01:16 PM »
topping up the get better wishes  :hug: x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2011, 12:52:43 PM »
Not eating dreamies is worrying!  but glad she is eating something and her eye is looking a bit better.  Has the vet an idea of what is causing it?  It sounds as though they are a bit vague and baffled as to the actual cause.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2011, 06:56:02 AM »
Sending a gentle, enquiring "squeeewheee?"  from Mac for Bonny, as we're both hoping you've had a good night.   :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2011, 00:34:55 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2011, 00:26:31 AM »
Not eating cat food and not even eating Dreamies BUT she has had 2 slices of ham and she's had some water.  Her eye is looking brighter and she's been walking around the house and having cuddles on the bed.  Hopefully this will continue and I don't have to rush her to the vet before our appointment on Monday.

:thanks: everyone.

M&B xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2011, 19:49:52 PM »
Poor Bonnie - I do hope you can get to the bottom of this, Mary  :hug:  Give Bonnie a special cuddle from me and the boys.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2011, 15:06:23 PM »
Kocka had detached retinas due to BP and had the BP problem been known earlier the absolute mini bit of a pill could have gome in her food with no problem and she was a cat who couldnt be pilled.

However she did not have any bleeding visable but suddenly she went blind and the eyes were just fully black and then the sight came back and she used to get very upset cos the retinas used to flap back and forth so she could see, then would go blind etc etc.

The eye specialist vet knew exactly what the problem was by looking in Kockas eyes.

I do hope you can get this sorted for Bonnie  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2011, 13:07:44 PM »
Sending lots of healing vibes for Bonnie and  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: for you Mary.

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
  • In loving memory of my beloved Butch 1998-2010
  • Slave to: Fudge & Ariel
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
Poor little Bonnie  :( So sorry to hear there is no change in her yet and that she is still feeling under the weather .

Fingers and toes crossed that she is feeling better soon , Some more healing vibes for Bonnie  :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug: :hug: Hugs to you Mary

Denise
Xxx
The Purrs 2013 Christmas Auction is now on!
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 
Will you be a bidder, or donate something to auction - or both?!

Den22

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Bonnie's been ill since 8th October
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2011, 12:01:02 PM »
Sending special healing vibes Bonnie's way :care:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2011, 07:14:32 AM »
Oh Mary.  What a worry.   :hug: :hug:

I can't help thinking myself it might be appropriate to ask the vet for a blood pressure test, simply to rule out the possibility this is causing the haemorrhaging.  It can be linked to retina detachment, and that's often caused by high blood pressure.    It's very difficult to know what to do when you get conflicting advice, and it's easy for us to chip in when we're not in your shoes, but is it worth asking the vet why he doesn't feel it's necessary to undertake a BP and eye test?

Hoping Bonny is feeling better today.  And sending a hug to you too  :hug:

Link to CatChat