Author Topic: Fussy eater  (Read 2240 times)

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
Re: Fussy eater
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 14:03:52 PM »
Bit of an update- we have had some success with Morrison's own brand. Jelly only, cans only- won't touch the gravy or the pouches.
He will eat it and it dosnt give him the runs.
He seems to grow rapidly bored with all brands of wet food- think because he hasn't had it before.
We have wet food and biscuits (Go Cat- again- only one he likes and that dosn't give him the runs, tried the higher quality ones- either won't touch them or it gives him terrible diarrohea) during the day, and I do him a bit of chicken or fish in the evening.
For the first time in the 10 weeks Ive had him he seems to be eating better- 
so - fingers crossed- we may have a solution.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 15:18:21 PM »
Just found out boxes no good for Lupin cos half are fish and he had one of those last night and his tummy turning again.......sigh

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »
I guess there are 2 ways to go with this - try to get him onto wet food or accept that he will only eat dry food but go for a good quality, preferably grain free, dry.  Grain free dry foods include Applaws, Encore and Orijen.

This article might be of some help

http://www.catinfo.org/docs/Tips%20for%20Transitioning%20PDF%201-14-11.pdf

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 17:43:45 PM »
Have you tried Tescoes pouches?

I know it sounds daft but Lupin not only has a dodgy tummy but also wont touch many foods but he loves these and they dont seem to upset him, he has only had the chicken ones but noticed they are now doing boxes.

Whiskas and felix just upset him badly.

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 13:06:06 PM »
Tried those Gourmet Gold small tins and had some success with these- he really enjoyed them. They are quite expensive as he is a large cat and can easily munch through 4 of these a day (alongside biscuits/bit of chicken or fish).

The other problem is they gave him the runs- big time- for days on end. So decided these are for a treat only.

I think he has been fed on biscuits all his life- so we are going with dry food. Bought a better quality- but he's quite fussy with this too. Likes Go Cat and Nature's Best (think theyre called that- from Pets at Home), won't touch any supermarket brand or the James Wellbeloved ones we tried.
I have never met a more fussy cat in my life, he is really hard to feed.

Still trying wet cat food. Worked our way through every brand on the market, now trying supermarket brands-he will nibble on Coop's own brand, so will persevere with that.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 13:08:08 PM by beeley »

Offline Furry Friend

• Adult Cat
  • I have 2 cats toffee and ziggy. Love them to bits!
  • Slave to: Toffee and Ziggy and Bloo
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 16:17:08 PM »
Oh i know how you feel, hehe... toffee and ziggy eat both qwet and dry. Have you tried all the brands of wet food. whiskas, felix, gourmet pearl, sheba. Maybe he might like some pate?? Its good to feed cats fresh meats and fish but they still need cat vvitamins.

Having saying this toffee will eat ziggys maine coon biscuits and will eat the dog food. Dog food is good to build them up, i know toffee loves ceasars haha.. i put it down for the dog, toffee comes pushes him out the way, and eats half of it, so the dog eats the cats food :P We have a strange house.
Pity they dont sell meaty mixers for cats isnt it :/ Try some bone appeite. You spray it on food makes it taste nice. (Doesnt work with our two anyways hehe) Keep searching till you find something hell eat :P GOOD LUCK :hug:
You cant have just 1 cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 19:11:43 PM »
Maybe he'd eat raw? could try him with a ready prepared raw such as Natural Instinct or Darlings. If he's a dry food 'junkie'  ;) it can be difficult to get them to change, but it can be done, all mine were eating dry 6 yrs or so ago, and I slowly changed them over to wet, then a combo of wet/raw. All I did was start to add a teeny bit of wet to the dry initially, then over a period of weeks, gradually increased the amount of wet and decreased the amount of dry, until they were eating all wet.

http://www.naturalinstinct.com/categories/Cat-Food (only do one variety at the moment, but I believe new varieties are going to be introduced.

http://www.darlingsrealcatfood.com/

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 13:51:50 PM »
Thanks, Dawn
I will have a search for the feeding threads, am giving him Iams as well as thought bit better than Go Cat, but will have a look in Pets At Home.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 13:40:02 PM »
just meat and fish isn't going to be enough as they need certain vitamins and things that they won't get - it is a bit of a mine field!  Gillian Ambercat is an expert of raw feeding, there are a few threads on that for sure.

personally I think if they will eat it let them, one of mine only had dry for three years after coming to me, she decided later that she like wet as well - if you are going to give dry might be worth finding something other than go cat which isn't particularly good, pets at home own brand is pretty good and quite reasonable

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
Fussy eater
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 13:29:02 PM »
Hello
Am back again with another question about my troublesome tom cat- (he's called Bertie by the way).

I have had him for 6 weeks today.
He's finally settling in, seems quite happy and getting into a routine.
However, I have tried him on every single wet cat food on the market, from the cheap stuff to the very expensive and he won't eat them. He eats a little bit and then refuses point blank to touch anymore.

The rescue centre said he would eat Butchers or Felix- but Im finding he won't, he nibbles it and then refuses point blank to eat it. I get the feeling at his previous home he was fed nothing but biscuits, and wet food is a bit of a new thing for him.
He likes biscuits, so I put down Go Cat for him.
I don't really want him to have a dry diet as I am not convinced it's very healthy, so I have been feeding him chicken and cooked haddock/pollock- which he absolutely loves.
I am considering ditching the wet food altogether and giving him fresh meat- cooked chicken and fish, along with biscuits as a top up.

Im a bit worried he won't get all he needs nutritionally. Has anyone any suggestions?

Link to CatChat