Author Topic: Renalzin and Ipakitine  (Read 3539 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Renalzin and Ipakitine
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 22:33:28 PM »
Very sensible to ask vet to recap on all the medication and esp why he/she has given that advice about which food with which binders.  I also assume the binders are to help with kidney probs not diabetes. 

A friend of mine swears by Renalzin for one of her elderly Persians but I understand it is like a paste and difficult to mix into a lot of foods.  She mixes it with a salmon mousse non renal cat food due to the constituency. 

Sorry meant to say  :welcome: to Purrs and every good wish for George's healths problems.  Hope he's coping OK and you too  :hug:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 22:34:39 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 21:25:43 PM »
Hi and welcome to Purrs.

I'm assuming the binders are to help with George's kidney problems and not his diabetes?  Both are phosphate binders and as far as I am aware either can be used with any cat food, be it specially formulated for cats with renal problems or 'normal' food.  I have only ever heard of cats being prescribed either  one or the other and while some vets will prefer Ipakitine, others will advise Renalzin.  Often its down to which the cat finds most palatable.
Was it your vet who said to Renalzin with RC renal wet and Ipakitine with other food?  If so, maybe you should ask him/her to explain why.

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
  • In loving memory of my beloved Butch 1998-2010
  • Slave to: Fudge & Ariel
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 20:10:49 PM »
and  :welcome: to Purrs.
 Lots of friendly peeps and plenty of chat and most importantly lots of furry pics of all the furbabies here which we luv to see
Sorry can't help with question.

Denise
The Purrs 2013 Christmas Auction is now on!
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 
Will you be a bidder, or donate something to auction - or both?!

Den22

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 19:45:54 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

Not sure either, someone may know but may be best to just give your vet a ring about these things as it may differ for each cat.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 19:41:58 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Sorry cant answer your question but hope someone can help you

Offline dgummed10

• Kitten
  • Slave to: George
Renalzin and Ipakitine
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 19:32:48 PM »
:innocent:
My 15 year old cat George has been living with Diabetes for two years and recently my vet has said I should start George on Binders.  My question is which binder goes with what foods and should they be used at the same time or separately?
I've been told to use Renalzin when he has the Royal Canin wet renal pouches and use the Ipakitine powder on all other foods.  Should they always be used independently of one another?
I'd appreciate any members input.  George also has insulin twice daily and Fortekor (one tablet per meal)
Any advice is appreciated.

Link to CatChat