Author Topic: Preloved site  (Read 10339 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Preloved site
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 18:38:33 PM »
Yes you should stay away from that site  :hug: :hug:

I just hate all the posts on FB from the States of animals on death row. mostly dogs but not all and wish I could stop them appearing.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 15:23:21 PM »
All i can hope is that someone with a good heart buys him (sadly funding idiot woman though :censored:) and gives him a good life, I dont think the woman is on the same planet, I told her about getting him to a good persian rescue but she has no interest.
it makes your blood boil, look at Rushden persians for example, they put life and limb on stake to get their cats back into shape and its certainly not a profitable job doing it, its to save cats in need and get them the treatment and new home that they deserve!
I really have to stop looking at that site, I dont think i do myself any favours as each time i go on i think oh let me just have a look at the cats and kittens while i am here then without a doubt you see something that really makes you give up on people >:(

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 14:40:15 PM »
The preloved website is bad, or rather has its bad parts but what is really worrying me atm is the number of animal selling pages that are on fb, saw a post on one of them today from a girl asking how she would know if her cat was in heat, the state some of the animals look in is horrid as well.

I agree with you ShielaRose breeding animals any animal should lisences and regulated by a govening body. I see a petition coming . . . . . .

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 14:30:28 PM »
Exactly!

She rescues to sell, its a money making thing and you are right, why would she put a terrible picture up.

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 11:07:30 AM »
got a reply from woman
apparently she rescues cats and is outraged i suggest that she may not have got vet treatment or looked after them properly, the cat has an eye condition which is fair enough if true and he doesnt like being groomed.
why not put that in the descripion of him then instead of persian cat for sale £220 AND a god awfull pic of the poor lad.
she then sent me of another pretty cat that she said is hers and was dematted etc to get back into good health.
If what she says is true then for the cat for sales case her help hasn done much good so he does need someone who can give him one on one attention maybe- she has declined my offer anyway :shy:
and if she takes them in to help them why is she selling him :(

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 23:08:03 PM »
Id rather they stopped the pets section as sometimes it makes me cry :'( its a good way to get help for some kittys though etc but would prefer if they really cracked down on pet ownership, mind you theres no law on who can have kids either :Crazy:

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 16:43:15 PM »
I'm addicted to the site too i now have 8 furbabies 5 of them i rescued from the site its so upsetting to see their little faces in pictures i just crumble my latest 2 i recsued were full of fleas and cat flu both are doing great now and i actually found them homes although i was soooo upset to see them go one to my sister the other to my brother-in-law  :Luv2:

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 14:03:10 PM »
well her profile pic is of a dog in some kinda dress and hairbow :Crazy: so i figure the owner of poor cat isnt in the right mind :innocent:
If i saw him wandering in that state i would pick him up i think and claim i thought he was a a stray, I know persians etc get that weepy eye stuff, i had a shih tzu so used to have to do her eyes in morning and night and make sure hair wasnt growing upwards etc but this poor cats eyes are bright red on pic so he must be suffering. >:(
I agree that circumstances can change with folk, who knows whats around the corner- but if you love your pet you have to do whats right for the pet, In this case someone who can give him time (like ive offered) or an appropriate rescue for persians and we have one in midlands so no excuse!
 :innocent:

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 13:15:05 PM »
I think in cases like this,we should just cat nap them.Why can't she see the poor cats condition,what are the other cats in her house like? >:(

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 11:19:58 AM »
Oh what a dilemma. You know the poor cat is suffering but to pay money for him just encourages these awful people to do it even more.

This is why I dislike sites like these, not because of the "free to good home " ads, no there needs to be a place for these as folk are at times desperate, rescues are full and accidents do happen...but the Profit Mongers trading in animal suffering need to be weeded out and stopped.

If there was a site purely for animal breeders to advertise their business, then fine, but let it be for licenced animal traders only who have the appropriate skills and levels of care to deserve this form of income.

Catterys and kennels need to be licensed and inspected, why not breeders?

Grrr.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 22:15:22 PM »
ive sent a message to someone near me selling a pedigree cat, they had him for sale when i got my kitten  in feb and they were asking 85 for the poor cat, now they have readvertised him for 300 approx last week and 220 this week.
I feel so sorry for him as he doesnt look well looked after, drippy red eyes etc, furr not groomed :(
Ive told them they would be better off offering him to the appropiate rescue or i would offer him a home and get him the medical attention he needs and his fur back into shape etc but tbh couldnt justify paying the money for him when i will have to spend so much on treatments etc.
Id love to take him in as feel so sorry for him, such a sad face -- it makes me angry though, selling him on like hes nothing for no particular reason stated, just neglected and unwanted. :censored:
Ironically they are right next to a rescue :-[

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 18:58:45 PM »
I'm afraid i'm addicted to sites like this,i just like to see what's going on,then sometimes get quite cross! I must be mad. :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 00:03:46 AM »
I got Lupin through this site but all the time I spent looking it was just breaking my heart.

I did warn one birman owner that the cat needed to be spayed and why and had a good response.

Lupin of course was coming up to a year and not neutered and I felt he needed rescuing or he would have ended going to a bsb and he was a pet standard birman and not for breeding.

I only looked at birmans cos it was the only place I could find any and breeders good and bad used the site.

On the whole nobody will care I think and you can see  that some are selling for good reasons but its only by talking to people that you can try and make a judgement and even then one isnt always sure.

I just hope I will never need to use the site again.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Preloved site
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 21:50:39 PM »
I joined the Preloved site today in response to a message posted on Purrs about a cat being sold on there, to find out what it's all about.

I found loads of disturbing "free" cat (and other animals) ads from folk who have a variety of spurious reasons for getting shut of their pets.

I also spotted a number of rescues (in the tortoise bit, actually) advertising space for unwanted reptiles. Presumably to counter the number of irresponsible owners selling/giving them away to untrustworthy strangers.

I found myself feeling lost and powerless. Is there a way of warning these fair-weather owners of the dangers (to the cat - I couldn't care less about the owners) associated with "free cat" ads?  :(

Did I mention the kitten/puppy farms?  >:(

Link to CatChat