Author Topic: FOUND 2.5 years later! black/white cat in Redhill, Nottingham  (Read 76178 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Lost black/white cat in Redhill, Nottingham
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2011, 20:55:45 PM »
No I wouldnt go for a reward purrrrrrsonally and think you need the cat trap cos I reckon he will be very hard to catch now cos he will be so scared.

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
  • Slave to: Phoebe, Boomer, Dillon, Aiden & Billy!
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2011, 20:41:46 PM »
 :thanks:

I'm completely on edge now though I keep hoping someone will ring me and say they've caught him!! I want to go back there but I haven't got anyone to come round with me tonight, my Dad can't and my other half has to stay with the kids, but I don't want to walk the streets calling Billy alone as it's a bit of a dodgy area... I probably need to offer a reward as an incentive to people to catch him don't I? I mean, I could pay 25 quid for a cat trap that may or may-not catch him, or offer a 50 quid reward to anyone that actively will help to get him in their house for me... what does everyone reckon?
www.catrescue.uk
Rescue & Rehoming Stray and Unwanted Cats in Nottinghamshire. I am an independant rescue.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2011, 20:14:07 PM »
 ;D That's brilliant, it does sound positive with so many people having seen him.  Great to hear that they're going to specially look out for him now, fingers crossed for you xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2011, 19:24:02 PM »
Brilliant news - just a bit more patience and I'm sure he'll soon be tucked up safe and sound where he belongs  :hug:

:crossed:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2011, 19:08:25 PM »
ooooh good luck

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2011, 19:06:45 PM »
It is him! He is definitely in that estate. Loads of ppl have confirmed sightings even one this morning. Lots have said they will try and catch him now they know he is a lost cat.
www.catrescue.uk
Rescue & Rehoming Stray and Unwanted Cats in Nottinghamshire. I am an independant rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2011, 16:37:52 PM »
:crossed:  :hug:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2011, 13:48:13 PM »
Well I've now put a poster up in a shop on that estate- it's opposite a post box so good placement too. Also dropping more leaflets tonight on the road which the elderly ladies garden backs onto.. photocopied about 100 leaflets so shouldn't run out if I decide I have time to do more roads nearby too.
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2011, 13:44:45 PM »
thank you, I hope so too. But I am worried that someone has tried to keep him and it was them that removed the posters (see, my mind is thinking all sorts of worse case scenarios!) and that they will just keep him in their house until they think things will go quiet. He is a lovely, friendly cat after all... then I'm thinking, if someone takes him to the vet because they have adopted him, will the vets atutomatically scan a cat just coming in for minor ailments and the supposed owner says he belongs to them?? I'm doing my head in thinking all these things  :(

tends to be just people who think the posters look messy or kids who think its funny - I think once I remember it was even the council who took them down

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2011, 13:42:50 PM »
She kept seeing him up until monday morning this week, then nothing since. She said all through the heatwave we got end sept/first few days oct he was hanging around a lot, but she didn't know anyone was looking for a cat until last night, so she only rang me today. She may have found out sooner if those blumming posters hadn't been taken down by some idiot on that estate of course...  >:(
www.catrescue.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2011, 13:40:40 PM »
But you said this lady keeps seeing him?

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2011, 13:38:16 PM »
That's the thing though, the people who see him, don't see him again after contacting me! It's so frustrating!! It's s shame vets don't scan all cats :(
www.catrescue.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2011, 13:32:31 PM »
No most vets do not scan automatically I am afraid.

If he is being seen in one garden then you need to get that trap set in that garden and if the cat is skinny its hungry, if its the wrong cat no problem cos can just be released.

You have to jump at every chance  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2011, 13:09:03 PM »
thank you, I hope so too. But I am worried that someone has tried to keep him and it was them that removed the posters (see, my mind is thinking all sorts of worse case scenarios!) and that they will just keep him in their house until they think things will go quiet. He is a lovely, friendly cat after all... then I'm thinking, if someone takes him to the vet because they have adopted him, will the vets atutomatically scan a cat just coming in for minor ailments and the supposed owner says he belongs to them?? I'm doing my head in thinking all these things  :(
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2011, 13:00:53 PM »
I do think leaflets are the most effective adverts, even if people have to pick it up to bin it they will see it - I really hope it is your billy  :hug:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2011, 12:11:40 PM »
Well I did the leaflet drop last night, unfortuately not all houses got done as we ran out, but got a call this morning from an elderly lady who said there had been a new cat appear recently (previous 2 weeks only) and that he was skinny and I popped around to her house and showed her more pics and she said he looks like the one. Apparently he'd been in her garden and hanging around for a week, she thought someone had moved in with a new cat nearby. Anyway, she has seen him as recently as Monday morning this week. I'm going to drop leaflets in the houses I missed last night and the road which her house backs onto as she said he came from a garden bordering onto her back garden a few times.

I just want it to be Billy and someone else to ring me and say they've seen him too.
www.catrescue.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 16:52:46 PM »
I put up posters on lamposts in the snow last Dec when I found Pussy but everyone was pulled down, rtook me ages to write them all and put them in plastic containers.

\\\\\\\\\\\\yes a post probably woukld be better, I wanted mine to be seen by cars going by.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2011, 12:24:22 PM »
There's some oddballs out there, I wouldn't read anything into it though  :hug: Good idea to do a leaflet drop, also if you laminated the posters you could attach them with a cable tie - they'd have a job removing them then!

Fingers crossed you get some more sightings after the flyer-drop  :hug:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »
Thanks  :hug:

I had a phonecall yesterday from a lady who lives in the cul de sac on the other side of the A60. She said she'd seen a small black and white cat with red collar in the estate behind her house. She's going to photogaph him and have a look at his collar to see if there's a tag if she sees him again.. anyway, the call made me have another look at this estate behind her and I mentioned to my Dad that I was there looking around but there were no sightings. He asked me if I saw any of our posters and I said no. He'd been round there and put several posters up on lamp posts which I wasn't aware of, but they'd all been removed it appears. Dad went round later and drove round there and they'd all been removed. He said when he was putting them up a child of about 9 came up to one of them and read it then ran inside his house. His mum then came out and had a bizarre conversation with my Dad, not concern about the cat or showing any signs of sympathy, she just said something like "oh you looking for a cat, a few have gone missing lately" or something similar. No mention of her looking out for him and calling us, she just returned inside.

Anyway, I have decided now to leaflet drop the houses there, as someone has removed the posters I'm wondering why, could it be someone who has got him?!
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 20:23:50 PM »
The others are right, so many cats are found weeks months even years after going missing, it must be draining and very hard for you but do keep on and keep that hope up  :hug:  :hug:

and make sure you always have someone with you when you go looking in lonely places too.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 20:24:32 PM by Janeyk »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 14:58:38 PM »
Please do not give up hope, its very early days yet and so many cats come back after a month or more  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 13:01:21 PM »
....this is so much worse than having a cat die, because at least you know and you can move on and grieve. I am tormented. 

My heart goes out to you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

The fact that he is microchipped is excellent.  Please don't give up hope.  Very much hope the useless and weirdo phone calls stop  :(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011, 11:24:55 AM »
I know it must seem like forever that he's been missing but it really is very early days yet so please don't lose hope. Keep doing what you're doing  :hug:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 09:07:29 AM »
Thanks for asking  :hug:

Dad set up cctv in the back garden to film a bowl of food and Billy's old bedding with his scent on... all it's caught so far is a tabby coming to eat the food. Cats protection wanted to charge 25 quid for the trap, i can buy one for that online, so Dad and I decided to order it if we caught Billy on film. But it's a neighbours cat that's been eating all the food we've been putting out. Very deflated, very depressed, not heard anything from anyone in the way of sightings for a week now and I'm losing hope. I've had a weirdo person texting me telling me to go down an alleyway to find him, loads of phonecalls from people saying they saw a black/white cat in their area and I should go an check it out despite them only seeing this cat once and 2 days before they ring me and not seen it since. My heart is broken and this is so much worse than having a cat die, because at least you know and you can move on and grieve. I am tormented.
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Lost black/white cat in Redhill, Nottingham
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2011, 09:24:16 AM »
Any news?:hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2011, 20:12:36 PM »
Agree with Gill - your Mum's garden in a quiet corner she can see from the house, with some Oh-so-smelly cat food inside.

Ask your Mum to keep a window partly open so she hears the clang! when it goes.

We'll be with you until he's back safe and sound, Elle.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2011, 00:54:07 AM »
If you can get it quickly then in your mums garden I think

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 23:02:24 PM »
I can and my Dad says there's a lady nearby who has one that will lend it out. Oly problem is where? Where on earth do I put it? He's been all over an area that is highly populated with cats, what if I trap someone elses cat? He may not even come back to my parents garden if he was scared off my the neighbours dog... just don't know  :(
www.catrescue.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 22:49:23 PM »
I hope it was him and if he is skinny then he may come to eat.

Sounds like that cat is terrified of everyone and everything so a trap would be best, can you borrow one from CP?

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 22:31:45 PM »
Keeping everything crossed for you here Elle xx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 21:59:31 PM »
C'mon Billy - get yourself home!  :hug:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 15:01:40 PM »
neighbour who is just behind my parents house called mum yesterday and said she'd just seen a black/white skinny cat in her garden, but her dog ran out and he bolted over my mums fence. Mum came out immediately and called but nothing. I got round there within 10 mins and no sign. I don't know what to believe - could be Billy or maybe some other neighbours cat... woman said that she'd never seen this cat before now but she didn't see if he had a collar on or any clear view of his face. I showed her my pics of Billy that hadn't been on leaflets and she said she thought same cat.

I spent ages there calling/shaking biscuits/mackeral heated up - got onto parents shed so I was higher up and could see over the other gardens, Dad went round to the other neighbours garden other side to see if anything but woman there was out sunbathing and she said def no cat had jumped into her garden... I was round there again last night in the dark to call him too and I left dried biscuits out (even his blankets are tied to things in the garden for smell) but nothing this morning- nothig eaten or sign of him.
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2011, 21:50:41 PM »
Keep positive hun .... I'm sure he is nearby and desparate for his mummy to find him.  Don't forget to hand out flyers to any dog walkers you see on your rounds as these are the folks that tend to be out at funny times of the days and also go "off road" with their pooches.  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 21:23:28 PM »
Thinking of you tonight. Still hopeful. x

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2011, 19:08:29 PM »
thanks  :hug: I'm off round there again later to call him. Was again round there today at 11-2pm doing the rounds, in the fields.
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 21:31:58 PM »
Night time is good to go calling when it's quiet, as Sheilarose says.  I've actually heard of a few people who've found their cats that way.

Keeping fingers crossed you're reunited soon.  It's only natural there will be tension at home and your mum probably worries about you keeping your hopes up but you've everything to be positive for, even if there were no sightings so many cats are found months later  :hug:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 19:32:52 PM »
Thank you  :hug:

Mum can't do much she's in pain with her knee and using a walking stick and feeling very sorry for herself. I'm just going to ignore her negativity and get on with it, you're all right, there's no reason why I shouldn't find him when he's sticking in the one area since going missing. I was back there again today with smelly sardines in tom sauce... walking the streets with my Dad who is being very helpful and coming with me round the fields and houses.

xxx
www.catrescue.uk

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
Definitely - listen to the voices on here who actually know more about it than you Mum does.  :slap:

Keep telling yourself that Billy is there and just waiting for the right moment to break cover and come running to you with his tail in the air.

It's just a matter of timing.   :hug:

Try giving your mum something positive to do to help out - can she deliver some more fliers for you, perhaps? Or go and see the school/council/local vets etc. while you carry on pounding the streets? Might make her appreciate the effort you're putting in to get him back and help her get over the guilt.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 11:20:20 AM »
I agree with Dawn.  You are putting in enough effort to make it far more likely than not that you will get him back.

Our Ruby went missing for 36 hours a couple of months ago and my OH was completely doom ridden saying there was no chance of her returning as it was so very unlike her.  People just get caught up in their own guilt/grief and sometimes just don't think of the effect that has on others. 

Stay strong and practice the "See, I told you he'd come back routine"  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 09:33:31 AM »
unfortunately not everyone feels that same about pets as we do, she probably doesn't realise how upsetting you would find this sort of talk

there is no reason you shouldn't get him back, people do all the time and under the strangest circumstances I can think of a few notable ones we've had other the years, one who was living a few feet from home in a hedge but just didn't realise, one who escaped at a motorway service station and was trapped a few months later.  keep your chin up, I'm sure you will find him you are determined enough

Link to CatChat