Author Topic: FOUND 2.5 years later! black/white cat in Redhill, Nottingham  (Read 75624 times)

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
  • Slave to: Phoebe, Boomer, Dillon, Aiden & Billy!
Re: Lost black/white cat in Redhill, Nottingham
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 09:21:21 AM »
Still no more news. Been round several times to area with mackeral in tom sauce warmed up etc. My Mum really annoyed me last night as she told my partner that she didn't think we'd get him back... great coming from the woman that let him out in the first place you'd think she'd be more positive for me. I know I shouldn't blame her but she's been really hard work since all this happened. Crying all the time and making it much harder for me to cope, then blaming my Dad and slagging him off for the cat escaping. I just need people around me to be positive and say I'll get Billy back but instead I have her dragging me down.  >:(
www.catrescue.uk
Rescue & Rehoming Stray and Unwanted Cats in Nottinghamshire. I am an independant rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 00:08:44 AM »
I agree with all that Sheila says and he will not be scared of you but just everything.

Take food that smells with you cos unless he is scavenging he will be hungry.

The fact there are sightings is great news and dont give up hope  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 21:13:55 PM »
OK, another thought.

I don't think it's you he's avoiding. He's frightened and is in strange territory, I think he's lying very low and you will need to be almost on top of him before he'll break cover.

Try going back now it's dark and quieter, shake the biscuit box, squeak his favourite toy and wear your smelliest t-shirt (really) and walk 10 paces between calls. Then pause, listen, call again and pause again before moving on the next ten paces.

I found Theo this way when I lost him, he didn't announce himself until I was within 5 yards, and then I needed a torch to actually see where he'd dug in, and a blanket to restrain his struggles once I'd got a hold of him!

Oh, and take a friend to work (listen) on both sides of the street - you'll need the moral support too as well as safety in numbers.

I've got a real soft spot for B&Ws and can't bear the thought of him out there when he's so close to being rescued.  :scared:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 19:54:09 PM »
Another map im afraid  :innocent:

yellow star is parents house last seen fri 16th, green is first sighting on sat 17th and sun 18th, third sighting red star friday 23rd sept.
www.catrescue.uk
Rescue & Rehoming Stray and Unwanted Cats in Nottinghamshire. I am an independant rescue.

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 19:45:40 PM »
Hi Sheila!

I've discounted the route home now as i've had another sighting at 3pm today. A couple living on salcombe drive (so where the last sighting in the area was just further along to the right) rang and said he'd been scrapping with the neighbours cat in their garden. He bolted out of their garden when she went out to find out what cats were fighting (as she has a cat too) and saw him and he legged it over the back shrubs into the field behind. She rang me as I'd put a flyer through her door last night and when I got round there 20 mins later, he was no where to be seen :( I showed her more pics of him and she said, definitely same cat. So he's worked him way around the road towards the farmland. I went back to the fields afterwards with mackeral in a dish, but it didn't tempt him out, but I knew he must have been very nearby as he couldn't have gone far in that time so he would have heard me calling I am sure. He just doesn't want to come to me anymore  :(

But your suggestion about kids is good  :thanks:
www.catrescue.uk

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 19:24:13 PM »
Hi - this might be of some help

Kids are brilliant extra eyes - I notice there's a school close to where he's been spotted. I wonder if you're able to post a couple of flyers on the school's notice board, and get the kids to report back to the school if they see him (I would stay shy of putting your phone number on there, kids can be cruel as well as helpful, just leave your contact details with the office).

Also, there's a council office on the map - stick a couple of flyers on their staff notice board and also at the closest supermarket - get more eyes looking that way.

Good luck- me and the Tufty club are rooting for you.  :crossed:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 20:31:00 PM »
Point A on the map is where my parents live, and where he spent a week whilst I was on holiday. Point B is my house. The pin in the middle of the two straight lines is where someone rang last night and said she lived and a cat fitting his description was hanging about her house for 2 nights. She said he hadn't been around yesterday or evening though, but if she did see him she'd try and keep him around until I got there to have a look. But no word since. I am inclined to think he isn't in my parents area at all now. Out of leaflet dropping several streets and posters on lampposts, in an area of cat lovers (Redhill is full of cat owners) I think I'd have heard more sightings.

However, I stopped by at my old house this evening to talk to the neighbours (my old house is only 10 minute walk at most away from home) and I told them about Billy missing. They hadn't seen Billy for over a year so can't remember him but they said a little black and white cat had been hanging about their house this morning and yesterday. They#d never seen it before and thought it was strange as he was playing with the ginger cat that lives a few doors away (old ginger always used to come by my house when I lived there). I showed them a few pics of Billy and they said it could be him, but will call me when they see him again and understand that I will come round even at 10pm if they see him tonight as it'll take me a few minutes to drive there if necessary. I am hopeful.
www.catrescue.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 20:20:52 PM »
It looks like he is on the move,,,,,is heading back to his old home? Away from his home? Or what.

You really do need to trap him I think.

Offline freddie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 17:05:26 PM »
You could record Bloomer calling, even though they are not that close Billy will come to a known voice also record yourself whistling, give the tape recording to your parents , then maybe when it's nice and quiet in the evenings your mum and dad could stand in their garden with it for a little while each night for a week or so, also if it's dry out pop out some of your used clothes on your mums washing line...maybe a dressing gown. 

Best forget that, hope you find him soonx
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 21:45:35 PM by freddie »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 16:28:29 PM »
Yes he was wearing a red collar with a metal engraved disc and bell. Couple on first sighting said he still had it on when they saw him. This collar in pic but a newer version as I think he lost that one.

Edit: My Dad suggested the trap but there are loads of cats all around those streets that I'd imagine I'd be constantly getting other people's cats   :sneaky: 2 people have now said to me I should walk Billy#s brother around the area to see if it draws Billy out. Boomer would be quite upset by this, he hates the carry basket and I'd look like a loon, and I'm also not sure it would work... what does everyone think? Billy & Boomer do get along - but they're not like really close, they mostly just play fight.

well that's good then.  It depends if he visits regularly at certain times and finding out where he goes most etc. 

You could try leaving something of Boomer's nearby if you know where he's going that may attract him more.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 16:13:25 PM »
Yes he was wearing a red collar with a metal engraved disc and bell. Couple on first sighting said he still had it on when they saw him. This collar in pic but a newer version as I think he lost that one.

Edit: My Dad suggested the trap but there are loads of cats all around those streets that I'd imagine I'd be constantly getting other people's cats   :sneaky: 2 people have now said to me I should walk Billy#s brother around the area to see if it draws Billy out. Boomer would be quite upset by this, he hates the carry basket and I'd look like a loon, and I'm also not sure it would work... what does everyone think? Billy & Boomer do get along - but they're not like really close, they mostly just play fight.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 16:23:39 PM by ♥ Elle ♥ »
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 16:02:28 PM »
...and was your cat wearing a red collar?

It might be worth setting a trap where he's mostly seen?

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 15:30:57 PM »
new sighting on map

www.catrescue.uk

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 15:21:59 PM »
thank you, I will do. I just have a feeling I'm searching in the wrong area now. Basically, the couple who said they saw him Sat/Sunday I trust that they did from their no hesitation when they saw other pics of Billy, they said "we wouldn't have rung if we'd not been 100%" and it makes sense that he went backwards towards a cemetery from my mums house. BUT then I got a call last night from a woman who lived halfway between my parents and my house. She had got my leaflet from my parents area as her daughter lives there, but she said this cat that fits the descrpition was sat on her wall Sun/Mon night. He had a red collar and I went into further detail about Billy she said it does sound like the cat they saw, but he hadn't been back yesterday. So I don't know what to believe, it's almost exactly in a straight line between houses on the map, and I go down that road at least twice a week too on the way to the kids nursery. But she said she'd ring me if she saw him again.

No more sightings from parents area so now wondering... but I'm just so anxious and want to hear something.. I was again out at lunchtime dropping more leaflets around the houses in mums area and talking to people.
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 15:15:31 PM »
its still early days, keep up with the leaflets I know in the past people have had to put leaflets out in the same place more than once but got calls in the end

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 15:12:41 PM »
still nothing  :'(
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 06:59:31 AM »
 :crossed:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »
Excellent sounds likes he is staying in the area an is obviously managing to to catch his dinner.  Hopefully now you have this couple on the look out as well you will get him back home very soon.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 07:38:28 AM »
Sounds very promising  ;D

:crossed: that you are reunited very soon  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 00:46:29 AM »
Sounds good news and hope you get him very soon  :hug: :hug:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 22:53:39 PM »
Well I was out this morning posting flyers through doors nearby. Back again this evening doing more and putting up more posters on lampposts.

Got a phonecall from my partner - he'd just had a call at 7.15pm from a couple that live round the corner from my parents house. They had a flyer through their door and they rang to tell us that they'd seen him last night and for past couple of days on their road but they assumed he was a new cat to the area from someone that had moved in as he had the red collar on and looked healthy.

They saw him with a bird or mouse in his mouth running from the back of their garden to the house opposite, as they have a male cat who chased him. I wasn't far by the time I got the phonecall so I went straight around and spoke to the couple and they saw another pic of Billy and said 100% certain that was the cat they saw. They allowed me to go to their back garden and call him but nothing came of it, but they said if they see him again they will lure him in and catch him for me to collect.

I am now going to make more of an effort to concentrate on that area which is behind my parents house. See attachment, it shows the area, where point A is last seen by my parents and salcombe circus is last seen by the couple last night.

www.catrescue.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 18:08:35 PM »
I reckon he is trying to get home as its so close and know my cats map their journey to the vets in the car and as long as we come straight back they know as soon as we turn the corner into my road............thats a 25 mile round trip!

I hope he is found very quickly  :hug: :hug:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 17:45:53 PM »
Posters up around the area, doing more when we laminate more tomorrow. Thanks for your kind words about Billy. He's such a perfect cat, fantastic with my 2.5 year old twins, even though they chase him and try and hit him sometimes, he doesn't mind and is so friendly. i really miss him  :'(
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 22:37:04 PM »
Oh he's gorgeous ...... I would recommend getting as many posters and flyers out immediately.  The quicker you get the posters out the quicker you are likely to get him home. 

Good luck ... I hope you find him soon  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 21:25:45 PM »
What a nightmare  :hug: The fact that he stayed in the garden for that first hour makes me think he might stick around that area. Best time to call for him is late at night/early morning when there's no other noises going on so your whistles will travel but call/whistle to him walking towards your Mum's house, you don't want to lead him away from the 'base' if he's nearby and trying to follow your calls.  I'd also start a poster campaign in as many surrounding streets as you can.

If he hasn't stuck around then 1.8 miles is close enough for him to attempt to make his way home, even if he doesn't 'know' the way as cats are amazing creatures.  Looking forward to a positive update soon  :hug:

Edit: just seen his pics, his face is quite distinctive so hopefully any future sightings will be definite ones  :hug:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 21:20:30 PM »
Sorry I didn't make much sense on the previous post as I'm struggling to think straight, just so upset.

This is Billy

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150129873663885&l=b9752ba9ba

and again

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150129874388885&l=7d9db92898

I know it's a long shot but worth sharing his pic. I am putting up posters tomorrow round my mums area.
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 21:16:54 PM »
Thank you, my cats were being looked after by my Mum and Dad all this past week whilst we were in Cornwall. Billy escaped from their house at 2,30pm yesterday, she said he was in her garden for up to an hour going back and forth from one edge of the garden to the other not knowing wheere to go. In that time she called him, shaked cat biscuits and tried to coax him back inside but without success.

She's been round all the neighbours, as did I today when we got back and she phoned and I went straight around to her house. I called him round the nearby streets and whistled as he responds to whistling.

Her house is 1,8 miles from mine . When we first got him we lived 2 streets away but we moved when he was under 6 months old and hadn't been outside much apart from supervised smelling round the back garden so I doubt he'd know that old house. Does anyone think cats have a natural homing instinct? I've now got his brother with me at home and I just keep wanting Billy to turn up at the door, I am so sad. He is microchipped and had a collar on with a circular disc with the address - house number, street and postcode one side and home telephone number on the other.

Is he likely to stay around my mums area do you think?
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 20:38:24 PM »
Sorry to hear this, I'll move this to lost and found for you as it was in the 'sorted' bit.

Does your cat usually live with your Mum or was she looking after him at her house while you were away? If he doesn't normally live there roughly how far is it to your home from hers?

Really hope he is found soon - there's lots of hints and tips here that may help  :hug:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,305.0.html

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
FOUND 2.5 years later! black/white cat in Redhill, Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 18:04:51 PM »
Please move this to right place if it's wrong, I have just returned from holiday to discover my mum is distraught after my cat escaped from her house yesterday in Redhill, Arnold Nottingham. He is black with white markings, bib, paws nose etc, red collar, microchipped and is slim build male.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:27:35 AM by Elle Catsnottinghamrescue »
www.catrescue.uk

Link to CatChat