Author Topic: Sad Mitzy at 10months old... :(  (Read 4936 times)

Offline LiziL

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Milly and Mitzy
Re: Sad Mitzy at 10months old... :(
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 11:37:36 AM »
Thanks Sheila  :thanks:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 09:47:57 AM »
Keep the faith. Once the vetstink has worn off go back to as normal a routine as possible. No extra treats, cuddles, attention etc. just boring old humdrum normal. Hopefully they'll both feel the stress reduce and calm down. 

:relax:

Offline LiziL

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 09:32:43 AM »
 :thanks:
She is still hissing at her! Poor mitzy! Will keep you updated thanks to all your replies! X

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 21:18:24 PM »
Yep, the vet smell thing is perfectly normal. My gentle, meek and mild cat was really mean to his brother who'd spent the day at the vets  :( His brother is like a rhino and completely ignored the hissing and insisted on snuggling up against against him despite being hissed at!  :naughty:

It took a couple of days for things to get back to normal. :crossed: for the results  :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 21:11:14 PM »
Oh, it absolutely is the vetstink she's growlin at. Give her loads of cuddles and smother her with your scent, her sister's scent, anything homebased and the growling should stop pretty quick.

Fingers crossed for the biopsy  :crossed:

Offline LiziL

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 20:03:04 PM »
So she's had the biopsy, abit drowsy still and her sister is hissing at her and growling?? Worried about leaving them together! Wondering if she may smell different from being at the vets... If its not one problem it's another!  :tired:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 19:24:49 PM »
Poor Mitzy.  :(

Thank goodness you're on the ball, Lizi. Good luck and do keep us updated please?  :hug:

Offline LiziL

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 18:49:50 PM »
Thank you so much for your help and advice, since the last post I looked again at her armpit which was wet, I rang the vet straight away worried it could be infected and he told me it was, :-(
He has given me antibiotics and suggests a biopsy Wednesday to take tests (as he thinks these are linked,) he has also given me Hills prescription diet food z/d
If the test results come back negative I will 100% be trying your methods, thank you so much again will keep you posted x :thanks:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 18:30:49 PM »
Aha! I can see what you mean. My girl Pursley has bald spots on both back legs in exactly this position - I call them her sitting spots - but she hasn't found them tasty like your cat seems to have done.   :(

I zoomed in on your picture, and can see that she's licked this spot from one side and is presumably constantly re-opening the wound. I think the bitter apple applied liberally to the remaining fur in this area will do the trick and stop her re-opening it, allowing it to heal.

The steroid tablets she was on previously (I understand her dose was too high?) may have helped to break an "itch/lick/itch some more" cycle ONLY if she had itchy skin. This particular part doesn't seem to have much response to tickle stimulation (I just tried it on Pursley - she blanked me) so those anti-itching drugs wouldn't necessarily work on this spot.
This is what I think she has - like biting your nails or twirling your hair - a habit that she can't break without help.

The Bitter Apple tastes exactly like the stuff they paint on kids nails to remind them they are doing it and stop it (in fact wasn't is called "Stop It"?).
I'd get some of this and give it a try for a few days, see how she gets on.

Her armpit may be her next "target" so be sure to rub some in there as well. Her tummy is likely to be the next bit. This is why I was asking about fleas, as they tend to settle in the warmest nooks and crannies like armpits and groin, which explains why cats with flea bites will routinely lick those areas bald.

I have a cat who habitually grooms one part of his flank, and nothing I do has ever resolved it. He doesn't habit-groom anywhere else - this is his nail-biting equivalent. However, he does have FAD (Flea Affected Dermititis) and even one flea bite will have him grooming all the fur off his tummy until he's red and sore. I may never see the flea but I know it's there when he begins this behaviour and the only way to treat him is with topical flea treatment (I've switched from Frontline to Effipro as Frontline stopped working) and start the Bitter Apple.

My other over-groomer has a grain intolerance - he seriously overgrooms if he gets fed regular cat food containing cereals (such as Go-Cat). These foods negatively affect his calm which causes him to become nervous and defensive/aggresive. After switching him first to Applaws (which he quite liked) then James Wellbeloved dry food (which he loves) he is back to being my big softee and has all his fur intact once again.

As you're already on JW food (which may take a few days to show results) try the Bitter Apple.

Gill makes a good point too, any small change in her lifestyle might be causing her to stress out. It may also be something you're doing that is upsetting her (she may, for example, be stressing over her vet visits and associates any attention from you with that distress).
This is an extreme example, but once again I have an ex-feral who takes a good month to forgive me whenever I have to trap him for a vet visit. I just have to rebuild gradually and resist picking him up and fussing him as he just hates it.

You may also find that as the girls mature, there's an Alpha Female argument bubbling underneath which may be creating stress you can't see.

Zylkene is a milk derived anti-stress treatment which you sprinkle over food or in cat milk. I've had really good results with de-stressing (we have eight cats, three are ex-strays, so it gets a bit tense at times) better than Feliway. If the diet and bitter apple don't work after a couple of weeks try a few days Zylkene treatment - it may make enough of a difference to help her.

I get all my meds on-line from Animed Direct or VetUk. 

Offline LiziL

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 17:16:28 PM »
Under arm (pic not that clear couldn't keep her still! Lol)

Offline LiziL

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 17:13:14 PM »
Thanks for reading and your replies, she has James beloved sensitive skin food and frontline, she dosnt go outside!?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 12:26:04 PM »
I am so sorry that she has gone backwards and like Sheila said we need as much info as possible to let us think of ideas.

My first is another question, has anything happened or been changed in the house since she was last better....it can be a change of perfume or washing up stuff, something really small that has just happened and not something you would even think about normally.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »
If she won't wear an e-collar you could try rubbing a little bitterant on her fur. This one was designed to stop puppies biting their stitches after surgery so is completely safe but tastes disgusting, so stops the licking.

You have to re-apply quite frequently, but worth a try for a few quid.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-supplies-wound-care-products-c-141_169/bitter-apple-spray-p-1131

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »
my friend had good results on her cats food allergies with this

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=784&pf_id=50502

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 21:56:12 PM »
Lizi, I feel there's likely to be an allergy here, either flea affected dermititis or maybe a food intolerance. The other possibility is self-harming due to stress.

Can you photograph the hock patches too? A view of what you're seeing might spark some ideas.

Which food are you feeding her presently? Has she been treated for fleas and what with? Tell us a bit more we'll see if we can get you some solutions.

Offline LiziL

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 19:05:30 PM »
Help!! :-(
I just don't no what to do anymore!! The vets are useless!! They have no idea what's wrong with her legs, they healed when we decided to change her food to sensitive skin vet food but in the last month her hocks have got sore and started to bleed again!!! She won't wear a cone and now we have noticed her armpit is hairless and worried this could bleed also!! Anyone have any similar problems?? Just don't no which way to turn!?
Thanks for reading xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 14:32:40 PM »
So pleased you got a second opinion  ;D ;D

Offline LiziL

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 11:05:57 AM »
No its not, so glad i got a second opinion! :)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 10:51:36 AM »
Oh dear - good that you got a second opinion then! :/

Glad shes getting better though :) its not nice when they arent acting themselves is it.

Offline LiziL

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 10:37:33 AM »
i thought id let you all no the reason my Mitzy was poorly was because the vet had given her too high doseage of tablets!!!! 
I took her to another vets for a second opinion and he was very shocked they had given her such a high doseage at such a young age (8months) and that it could have stunted her growth or even worse she could have died!!!
 :'(
Now she is back to her old self and very happy!! Thank Goodness!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 02:26:42 AM »
So pleased  ;D ;D

Offline LiziL

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 22:10:56 PM »
Thanks for your replies!!  :thanks:
They have been neautered and she is now off her tablets and am pleased to say she seems so much happier since i posted this!!  ;D But cant work out if it was the tablets or the Feliway!? Am so pleased shes getting back to her normal self!

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »
Have they been neutered if no could be a dominance issue
Poor babies
Hope she gets better soon

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 23:23:54 PM »
Think the feliway takes lomger to work, about 2 weeks.

Have the meds stopped now or is she still on them? They may make her smell different.

If you are still worried about her , then maybe you need to speak to the vet.

Offline LiziL

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 22:37:35 PM »
Yes she saw the vet about 10days ago and yes i think the bloating was just a day thing i was maybe abit paranoid as she was already unwell..

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 22:31:57 PM »
As suggested on your other thread Mitzy really doesnt sound very well so I would get her checked out again -has her bloating gone down yet?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 22:30:46 PM »
I assume she has been seen by a vet?

Offline LiziL

• Adult Cat
Sad Mitzy at 10months old... :(
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 22:06:56 PM »
In the last 3 weeks my kitten Mitzy has been on some tablets for sore patchs on her legs.. as far as i can remember she has not been herself (miserable, sad, un-affectionate) since she got these patches on her legs and started medication..

She has a twin Milly and they seem to get on ok but now and again they will have a fight and poor Mitzy ends up with the scabs.. :'( They used to cuddle each other and clean each other but not anymore...

She used to sit with me and cuddle and talk (meow) at me! Now she is a totally different cat, she wont come near us, she runs into the other rooms, she always looks angry and i just dont no what to do..
I bought Feliway which has been plugged in for 3 days and hasnt changed her but i may need to give it more time..
Has anyone any ideas of what i can do would be a great help...  :thanks:

Link to CatChat