Author Topic: Choosing a vet  (Read 1556 times)

Offline mumtomaz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mazzy
Re: Choosing a vet
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 17:10:46 PM »
Thanks, this is really great advice.  :thanks:  I love this forum!!

I wasn't sure if it would be considered weird to visit before registering, but like you say, more thought goes into picking a vet than a dentist, so...!  Silly me, I hadn't even considered out of hours care.  Will also call the local CP and get their advice :)  I'm off work next week, so this is perfect timing.  Phase 2 of the vet search begins!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 14:30:02 PM »
You could try asking Bournemouth CP (or any other 'good' local cat rescue) who they use as hopefully they will be good with dealing with cats!

Pricewise, I'm South-East and my vets charge £29.50 for the initial consulation, follow up consultations (for the same condition) are £21.50. Initial vaccs over two appointments are £45 (flu & enteritis) or £80 (flu, enteritis & FeLV). Annual boosters are £30 (flu & enteritis) or £50 (flu, enteritis & FeLV). I think that's the top end of prices from reading others posts on here.

One big thing to ask is how they run their out of hours emergency care. Lots of vets use a company called 'Vets Now' to cover their out of hours work which means you might have to take her miles away to the Vets Now surgery and then they transport her back to the normal vets in the morning - not ideal so if the vets have their own out of hours that a big bonus. My vets used to do their own out of hours but is now the host surgery/building for vets now so they wouldn't get moved anywhere thankfully.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 14:50:56 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 14:23:41 PM »
I would visit some of the vets on your area and ask to speak to a Partner and explain your concerns for the wee one and see what responses you get

I spent more time looking for a vet when when we moved than looking for a dentist and doctors for us

I found a vet who listens to us about our ferals, and one who understands that we do know our cats very well especially the ferals who share our world

Also find out about out of hours care, we have a vet on call who will meet us at the surgery, who has full access to our cats medical history and have a nurse who lives in over night so the animals are never left on their own

Costs for treatment seem to vary pretty much all over the country but the cheapest like the most most expensive isn't necessarily the best, find out by visiting you can tell a lot from a waiting room and vets you talk to
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline mumtomaz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mazzy
Choosing a vet
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 14:09:25 PM »
I'm trying to choose a good vet for Mazzy.  She's still timid around strangers and I'm terrified of taking her somewhere she feels scared and threatened.  Having visions of her scratching everyone's eyes out, causing chaos and retreating to the highest spot she can access!   To be fair she's not done anything like that for years so I'm probably being over-cautious.  I've asked friends, family and colleagues for recommendations but it's not really getting anywhere, most people who regularly visit vets have dogs it seems, and I've told some real horror stories involving cats.  :(

I read the guide on here, and also saw that some vets have RCVS accreditation, is this something I should look for?  Also, prices seem to vary hugely, in your experience is this a good indicator?  What's a reasonable price for an initial consultation or a course of vacs?  I'm in Bournemouth and if anyone has any recommendations in this area I'd be hugely grateful.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 14:09:57 PM by mumtomaz »

Link to CatChat