Author Topic: Cat food?  (Read 1527 times)

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Cat food?
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 01:26:24 AM »
Ours have a huge walk in cupboard all shelved and generously give the dogs a half shelf in the utility room and they share one of our kitchen cupboards with the dogs just for treats :shocked: :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline mumtomaz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mazzy
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 21:41:57 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I'll ease her in to the wet stuff, I'm sure she will let me know what she doesn't like :)

:wow: Rosella - I actually gasped when I read that list!  I don't think I'd even be able to fit that lot in my cupboards!!   :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 15:30:31 PM »
Good link Rosella LOL

The main thing is what ever you try, do it very slowly in small bits, she will tell you what she doesnt like but you dont want to upset her tummy.

I think trying to get some wet food into her diet is sensibles as she is starting to get older and will get mor liquid into her.

Soon you will end up with a home supermarket like us  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:44:57 AM »
This thread might give you some ideas.  You'll see we try all sorts but have 7 cats. 

Aiming for higher meat content is best.  For instance Felix and Whiskas are 4% meat I think compared to 60% with Hi Life pouches.  The odd RAW chicken wing would be good for her teeth too.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38664.msg681461.html#msg681461

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Buddy & Daisy
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:17:40 AM »
Morning

I used to feed my two a pouch each at breakfast and then they'd have dry food for the day and evening time.

Re the difference between pouches and trays, etc, they are usually the same i think just a different format.  I'm not sure of the nutritional value between the named brands and supermarkets but my two personally were quite fussy and didnt like trays or tins, they preferred the pouches of any brand i gave them.  They also had expensive tastes lol and wouldnt eat shops own brands, only ate the expensive foods!!  :naughty:
Always in my heart RIP Jet, Cleo, Poppy, Oscar & Sydney x

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 05:59:07 AM »
Hiya MumToMaz and welcome to Purrs  :)

Can't really offer any advice, but all your questions will be answered very soon
as it is a really busy forum with Loads of Helpful People  ;)

You'll like it here  :evillaugh:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline mumtomaz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mazzy
Cat food?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 01:08:38 AM »
My 12 yo has been on Royal Canin Indoor 27, then Indoor Mature 27 for the 10 years she's been with me.  I have tried her on other brands but she knows what she likes!  RC have just changed from Indoor Mature to Indoor +7, which she's fine with, and I've also tried her on the new Ageing +12 (not so keen).  She's on the Indoor +7 right now.

I've been reading that it would be good for her to have some wet food in her diet but I really don't know where to start.  I was thinking of giving her wet food in the evening and sticking with RC in the morning - I know she def likes that.  I'd love to know how everyone else feeds, what and when. 

Looking at the shelves of wet food, the choice is completely overwhelming!  Is there any nutritional diffference between supermarket own brand pouches and things like Whiskas or Hi Life?  What's the difference between pouches and trays?  Should I go for senior versions in wet food?  Sorry, questions, questions...  :scared:

Thanks in advance :)

Link to CatChat