Author Topic: Closed Thread  (Read 22114 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Updated: Have applied to adopt Princess, the cat I saw a few weeks ago
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 21:57:55 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh a headlock, thats what Loopy does to poor Ducha and then by the look of Duchas whiskers, they are being chomped at.......sigh

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Updated: Have applied to adopt Princess, the cat I saw a few weeks ago
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 21:23:59 PM »
I have 2 girls and 2 boys and they all tolerate each other.  My Mum and Dad and three girls and 1 boys and they all sleep together, groom each other and love each other. 

I hope Princess fits into your little family ... she is lovely.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Re: Female cat relationships
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 19:40:41 PM »
 :rofl:

Joking aside, if you adopt Princess you WILL have to change your forum name - Ella & Archie & Princess is way too long!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 19:41:47 PM by jezebel »
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 19:36:24 PM »
Sorry to be a grammar nazi (actually, I'm not but never mind)... that should be Simon's Cats (no apostrophe!).
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 19:32:38 PM »
I'm really looking forward to the next instalment of "Simon's Cat"! (Or should that be "Simon's Next Cat"?) ;D

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 15:45:30 PM »
Well, I really believe the cat chooses its slave!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 15:49:33 PM by jezebel »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 15:05:14 PM »
She is lovely and Angie is a commonsense person and I am sure she would rather have a cat rehomed in a good home than sitting in a cage  ;D

Best of luck  :hug: :hug:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 14:48:21 PM »
 :crossed:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 13:56:24 PM »
I have my fingers crossed for you, its like my Benji, he was returned to the rescue as he had a runny bum and vet cleared 20 minutes before we went in to chose a cat. Heres hoping that fate plays a hand for you too!
she looks lovely! and like she could handle your young ruffian!
 :)
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 13:37:31 PM »
Aw, she's gorgeous -  looks a bit like Drum!

When are you going to see her again?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 13:38:39 PM by jezebel »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
Noni and, esp Dinah, are wot I would describe as archetypical dominant female cats (sorry JS but Noni is no pushover...)

And good for her. ;)

Simon, I personally don't believe colouration or gender is a massive deciding factor in a multicat household. I firmly believe it's all down to personality. When I had a group of five cats, there were three girls (Carrie, Parsley and Sage) as well as two boys. (Jack and Toby.) There were very rarely disruptions and if they were it was minor and in the form of Jack "asserting himself" by bopping Toby on the head. This happened so rarely it didn't actually seem to bother Toby. There was never any disharmony between the girls.

The group we have now is two girls (Sage and Astryd) and a boy (Darwin.) and the group dynamic isn't slightly off kilter because of the girls.... ;) I love him dearly, but will readily admit Darwin is the disruptor due to being so hyper and full on around other cats.

The thing to remember is there's NEVER a guarantee a cat will fit into the group dynamic. All you can do is take your cats personalities into account and try and find a personality you think will cause minimum disruption to them.  :hug: :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 08:25:23 AM »
I've got three females and a male - I do think its personality that counts to be honest, Amber and Tilly love everyone, Star would much rather be an only cat but will mix with the others

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 07:35:11 AM »
I've only had boys so can't really advise!  I do think it's more down to individual personality rather than male/female though.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 07:31:39 AM »
I've never had 2 girls together only 2 boys in fact only had 2 cats at any one time.  However personality wise I would say that both the girls we have had, Penny and Byron (we very sadly didn't have Bonnie long enough to say) were both independent and madamish but you could definitely tell they were female, both very sensitive to how I felt.   The lads I've found have accepted other cats better and been less stroppy but as I say I've never introduced a female to a female only male to female and they both give em what for at first  :evillaugh:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 23:59:25 PM »
I think it really does depend on personalities rather than gender. There was an immediate clash with the one male I introduced (Jasper) to my (then) group of about 10, between him and long time resident Harry, but.....Harry also had an immediate dislike of Lacie who came 3 yrs ago - and the feeling was (and is  ;) ) mutual. Apart from Gwynnie who came as a kitten, all the cats who've joined the group have been adults, and mostly much older adults (Jasper was 13 when he came). The girls of the group have generally accepted both male and female newbies, but, again, there was a clash between BB (f)and Lacie when Lacie first arrived. Kittens are defintely easier to integrate whatever the gender.

So....I don't think that really helps much either lol!  :innocent:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 22:50:49 PM »
Having a good mix of boys and girls here at the Clan can I add my two penneth worth

Our boys are sociable, and affectionate and all have me very well trained they tend to be the instigators when there are things they think need sorted ie establishing the pecking order and Bailey bad Boy Wilson is now Alpha male beacuse he put a couple of the others back in the pack meanwhile my wonderful girls now all mainly ferals are led by Clio who assumed the role as she had lived with us the longest after Sweetie died and nobody gives her any aggro one look like Sweetie is enough even my Big dogs lie down when she walks in a room :shocked:

If introductions are done well and the natural pecking order is followed them either will fit in my 2 youngest Kali and Sherbert former feral hooligans know that a look from Bailey and Clio means back off we need out beauty sleep

They do establish their order and I alsways fed HRH Sweetie first and Bailey and Clio get treats first followed by the masses but they know to wait till the elders of the Clan have had first go

Whatever baby comes to your home will be very lucky to have wonderful parents and siblings it may not be what you expect though so I would keep an open mind and see who captures your heart  ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 21:16:44 PM »
As you know, I have two girls. We were told they're sisters but you'd never think to look at them and their personalities are chalk and cheese. They don't behave like littermates either - no mutual grooming or anything.

They get on, as in they tolerate each other - will sleep on the bed with us but never sleep together. They'll eat together and be in the same room, most of the time without incident. Occasionally they'll have a spat but it's nothiing more than a raised paw, they don't spit. They'll chase each other sometimes, when they're having a bit of a "mad hour".

(Although one day I came home to find spots of blood on the duvet from Bass' ear which had been torn! However, I really don't think it was a proper fight, probably just a misplaced claw!)

Not sure if any of that helps!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 20:55:03 PM »
Oh Blimey.  I've been mentioned twice  :allears:

We have 4 gals and 3 boys.  Adore em all  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:  Wippa snapper boy just "replacing" the main dominant angel boy  :'(.   I think Fred's dominance BTW was very much down to the fact that he was neutered VERY late on....

The early neutered boys are soft as anything but so are the early neutered gals that haven't had little uns (Millie and Ruby).  Noni and, esp Dinah, are wot I would describe as archetypical dominant female cats (sorry JS but Noni is no pushover...)

I had two girls many years ago .... my darling angels Baron and Dingle........ I had them both together from young kittens and they got on fine.

I have to say that boys that have been neutered on time are easier than gals but I do love the gals' more independent spirit.  Are you looking for a pal for Archie to play with?  If so I would go for a young lad...... but as Angie says.......... who knows...............
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 21:13:28 PM by Rosella moggy »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 20:41:49 PM »
I think females are more difficult than boys and I only have one LOL but someone like Rosella has first hand knowledge and also Gillian but I suspect its down to the individual cats .

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 20:41:13 PM »
Rosella has a female tribe.

I have always found that boys get on together better but then girl cats do as well - it as much an individuality thing as anything else.

You cannot predict how the introduction of any cat will change the dynamics therefore I think you should go for the one that steals your heart (as long as its not the manic cat hater from hell) and be prepared to be patient when it comes to letting them sort out their own hierarchy.

If you have a cat that then refuses to come in, force the issue as they will never gel - perhaps putting one is a pen and swapping. Expect spats and sulks and you may be pleasantly suprised by everything going fantastic.

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
Closed Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 20:32:49 PM »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 21:22:27 PM by Ella & Archie »

Link to CatChat