Author Topic: claws clipped  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: claws clipped
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 08:40:31 AM »
lol, same here Desley.  Jaffa's a big cat though so I couldn't hold him and clip claws at the same time as I've only the one pair of hands!  :rofl:  I'm pretty determined when it comes to clipping his front ones though or getting pills down him.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 08:18:47 AM »
I dont have anyone to help sadly, so have had to learn ways of doing things like that myself.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 18:56:57 PM »
I find for back claws its easier with an assistant, i cant turn any of mine on their backs except Taz, hes so stupid tho, he will just lay there while il do the deed.  ;D
My mum has the official title of cat restrainer

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 08:17:46 AM »
I have had a few bad scratches from doing their back claws, I have to admit - last ones have just about healed!! I am just rather determined when it comes to things like claws and carriers!!
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 12:53:42 PM »
Susanne - I manage to do the cats back claws, I just hold them like a baby,

That would get me lacerated from head to foot if I attempted it with Jaffa!  :rofl:   He hates being picked up or restrained.  I can manage his front ones because I can wedge him between my knees but if I tried to pick him up like a baby I'd definitely need both hands to hold him and he'd lash out big time.  When I next take him to the vets for a check up I'll ask them to do his back ones as they don't charge if you're there for something else.  Mosi's back ones I can manage as I do them when he's on my lap (and he loves being held like a baby)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 03:25:57 AM »
Take a look at the pinned video.
It's best to get your cat used to having it's paws played with by gently stroking the pads and between the toes when she's sitting on your lap and relaxed.

Mine are used to having me trim their claws. Sam's fine about it, but Polly makes a fuss; but I'm confident about doing them so just restrain her in my arms and ignore her howls. It's very embarrassing though, I'm sure the neighbours think I'm killing her!!

As for the trimmers, I prefer the all-round type rather than the scissor type, though they're harder to use. I like them because they don't split the claw.

It really is wise to get you cat used to this as early as possible. My oldies have theirs done about once a month. I know it's time when claws dig into my lap! Also, overlong claws catch on the carpet when puss is playing.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 10:07:47 AM »
I have only managed to cut one claw too short, and that was cos the cat moved at the wrong time, it only bled for a couple of minutes though, so I suspect I didn't cut that far down!! Susanne - I manage to do the cats back claws, I just hold them like a baby, you do get the occasional one that is a nightmare though, but I resent paying £8.50 at the vets for it to be done.
Lisa, it really is easy, and best if you get them used to being looked at from a young age, better than suddenly starting when they become seniors and their claws are more prone to growing long and thick. And, for the cats that hate the vets, a better option than going there on a regular basis.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 11:51:29 AM »
oh i should add i noticed one of logans dewclaws was really long, i must have missed it last time so clipped it back and made it bleed (accidentally)  :-[  Not sure why the quick in that one has grown so long as the nail is still longer than his other dew claw and he normally has short quicks ?

ps logan is a dog not a cat.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 11:52:02 AM by lynn »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »
just apply pressure to it (vet advice)

:rofl:  Yeah you've just pee'd them off but they'll sit nicely to let you apply pressure  :rofl:

Actually i think it is very very hard to cut a cats nail to the quick (very easy in a dog)  we use silver nitrate pencils (also called styptic pencils) in vets to stop the bleeding but i was once given the tip that rubbing a bar of soap also works.

Forever due to shape of cats claw it is very easy just to take the tips off, you can safely cut 2 or 3 mm from the front ones and usually abit less from the back, often the hind claws dont need doing so often anyway.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 11:44:14 AM »
I prefer small clippers like these: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/birds/other_bird_supplies/care/claws/13361

Lisa if you try,just take the tips off, no worry about hurting her then.
Those wilko clippers are s :censored:t! I found mine yesterday and tried them out and they clip really bluntly, were only used once before i bought new ones!

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 11:27:27 AM »
everyone has told me its quite easy and it proberly is
its just im so scared of getting something wrong and end up hurting them  :( :( :(

I don't think you can hurt them really, as long as you're holding them steady (or get someone else to)

If you cut into the quick, it's supposedly easy enough to stop the bleeding, just apply pressure to it (vet advice)

Are you going to give it a try?

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 11:21:35 AM »
I do Ambers every couple of weeks or whenever the pain of her pummelling me gets too bad. Mogs rarely gets hers done even though shes older and doesnt go out they just dont seem to grow much. I check them and do them if shes sticking to the carpet or the furniture but its rare.
Forever I started by getting a friend to hold the cat whilst I clipped or the other way round. After a while I could hold Amber and fiddle with her claws which she didnt like but would tolerate then I moved up to clipping. She still doesnt like it much but she doesnt run away or struggle too much just yells as though Im chopping her toes off before Ive even got the clippers but if I let go of her she comes straight back  :rofl:
love
Tab

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 11:05:29 AM »
everyone has told me its quite easy and it proberly is
its just im so scared of getting something wrong and end up hurting them  :( :( :(
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 10:12:33 AM »
Both Jaffa and Mosi had theirs done last night.  I got all of Mosi's done while he was lying on my lap but Jaffa needed a firm hand!  Got all front claws doing but I can't do the back ones myself as I've only the 2 hands.  I've never worried about the back ones too much but Jaffa's are very long so I might have to take him to the vet to get them done.

forever - it's really not hard to clip their claws once you work out the easiest way to do it with your cats.  Mosi is happy for me to clip them when he's on my lap but I need to wait til he's sleepy.  I keep the nail clippers by my computer desk as he often jumps onto my lap for a cuddle when I'm on the computer.  With Jaffa I do them on the floor sitting on my heels with him wedged between my knees facing outwards.  He complains a bit but I just hold him firm and we get them done pretty quickly.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 09:17:43 AM »
since i have a finger minus a serious bit of flesh after a late night play session with cody i have realised he is indeed over due for nail clipping  :rofl:

Forever theres nothing to be brave or not brave about and maybe best you get them accustomed to it while they are young as it is something we need to make sure we can do when they are abit older and perhaps more inclined to get ingrown nails.

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 09:17:12 AM »
i wouldnt b brave enough to clip my cats claws myself  :scared:

It's really easy when you get the hang of it, also saves money from the vet  ;D

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 09:02:34 AM »
i wouldnt b brave enough to clip my cats claws myself  :scared:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 08:46:34 AM »
Tend to clip them whenever my husband complains that our Burmese's claws are sticking in his clothes :)

So that's about every other week. Though I check them a lot just in case one has grown the rest.

Both of ours are indoors and there is a sequence to nail clipping, Lirael first then Smoke - otherwise they both growl and hiss.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 07:43:27 AM »
At the moment, I have human cuticle clippers (closest I could get to the ones in the vets without spending £10 on a pair of clippers, but now I can get to different places, I shall start looking out), or human nail clippers (not as good, and need to angle them slightly). I bought a guillotine one from Wilkinsons, and wouldnt' recommend it, you have to try and get the tip in a hole - I bought one after using the neighbours vetlike ones, so knew I could do it and had docileish cats, yet struggled.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 07:39:37 AM »
My one is like this http://www.petguys.com/-045663004630.html

I really need to get another though as mine is getting abit blunt but not bad considering its 8 or 9 years old  ;D  I HATE using different types of clippers, guess its just what you are accustomed to.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 21:44:01 PM »
Can you recommend a brand? as I am going to start doing it. Where clapton is tootless, he can't get the husks off. Willow is scratching everything and kylie thinks my leg is scratching post  :scared:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 21:42:21 PM »
when i first got bailey n bridie i wanted there claws clipped once a month but my vet said it wasnt necessary and it would just stress the cats out more
and i should just let them sort there claws there selfs by scratching the scratching post,sofa etc

bridie needs hers done quite often though or there so sharp u feel like screaming when she sits on ya lap

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 21:02:40 PM »
My 3 are all indoor cats so I check them once weekly as Desley said and clip every 1/2 weeks.

Clip there back ones less frequently though.

Sarah

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 20:58:07 PM »
i check mine weekly, and generally clip fortnightly, although some are done weekly, it just depends what they look like. It is more important with oldies though, esp Molly who doesn't go out much, and doesn't use a scratch post.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
claws clipped
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 20:49:52 PM »
how often do ur cats need there claws clipped if at all ???

bridie had hers done while she was at the vets today
and now she can walk all over my legs and sit on my lap without it feeling like knives being stuck in me  :rofl:

my other cats all seem to be fine without haivng them clipped
baley had his done a few times as a kitten

rest of mine have never had there claws clipped

Link to CatChat