Author Topic: Need advice about a neighbour's cat  (Read 1185 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Need advice about a neighbour's cat
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 21:53:45 PM »
Do you have a cat carrier that you can leave in a sheltered spot for him? Even if it's outside your home, maybe make a den with your bins or recycling boxes that will protect him?

Also, leave a note on their door for any cat sitter (who you may have missed) to contact you?

Do continue to feed him until you get an answer, a cat so small will suffer permanent damage if he doesn't eat and drink regularly.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 23:36:50 PM »
And maybe put some kind of blanket in the bottom to keep him warm.

How can people just shut out a cat that has always been inside and go away and leave him, poor little mite.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 21:12:08 PM »
Some people don't deserve animals  >:(  Could you cover a box in a bin bag or somthing so he can try and keep dry?

I guess it's worth ringing the USPCA (anonymously if you're worried about repercussions) to see what they say  :shy:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
Need advice about a neighbour's cat
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 18:06:48 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, it's not really urgent to go in the cats needing help section.

There is a family that live across the road from me, they got a ginger puss a few years ago and seemed to stop letting it in the house, an elderly neighbour took him in and still has him. But about 6 months ago they got a kitten, kittens always catch my eye and I would watch it sat at their window, this one was the opposite, they didn't seem to let him outside the house.

On Friday night I heard a cat howling so looked outside to see whose it was, this lil man was at his front door but there seemed to be no life about the house. Yesterday was the same, the poor boy was howling at the door all morning. In the afternoon I went over and fed him, poor wee thing was starving and full of headbutts. He ate the whole pouch, I petted and talked to him a while and went back over to my house. He followed me over and now it's my house he's howling outside! Cried at my door all night and my 4 inside joined in! I've fed him again today, there still seems to be no life about the house.

I feel soooo sorry for him. It's been pouring with rain outside and really windy. It's breaking my heart hearing him outside but I can't let him in with my 4. I can't even think of a shelter I could cobble together for him, a cardboard box would be soaked and blown away and I don't think I have anything else. I don't know these neighbours and as far as I know none of the other neighbours bother with them. I think they've gone on holiday and just closed him out. I'm crossing my fingers it's only for a weekend.

I thought about ringing the USPCA but I doubt they'd take any notice. Does anyone have any advice?

Link to CatChat