Author Topic: Looking to add another ... but have a very dominant cat  (Read 1947 times)

Offline lilylass

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Archie & Mia
Re: Looking to add another ... but have a very dominant cat
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 21:25:25 PM »
How big is your house? If you think you have enough space that they could all have their own space if they didn't become the best of friends then I think you should go for it  ;D

If you explain the personalities of your current two to the rescue I'm sure they could find a cat that would be likely to work well with them.

House is fairly big so they should be OK in that respect - when things were at their worst upstairs "belonged" to Archie and downstairs "belonged" to Mia, however, they're both able to go into any room now without problem (can both sleep in my bedroom which was a major "fight starter").  Mia's still a wee bit possessive of the lounge (if she's in there when Archie comes in from outside, she'll go for him, but if he wanders in from elsewhere in the house, she's fine).

He's really laid back and I'm sure he'd accept another cat fairly easily (but he obviously is dominant so it would have to be one that'd be happy not being "top cat") - it's her that I'm worried about.

I'm popping up to the local rescue at the weekend to drop some bits & pieces off so I'll have a chat then.

They've got a cat who's been there for months who needs to live outside and I'd love to take him.  I have a field next to me with a hole from my garden fence into it (mousing heaven for my boy) however, I'd be a bit worried about taking him as a) I like my cats to be inside at night so it would be hard to leave him out and b) I'd be worried what would happen if I moved.

Oh, it's so difficult to know what's best to do.
Thanks for your replies

Offline lilylass

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 21:15:27 PM »
Mia is a tortie so bound to be full of tortietude  ;D

Chuckling at this - my old boy was a real handful (adult rescue, had problems with crystals, stones & eventually CRF so he had a difficult - but happy - life). 

When I lost him and I eventually got Mia at our kitten check my vet just burst out laughing and said (along the lines of) "well, I didn't think you'd be able to match Smudge but thought you'd go for something quiet - :rofl: a tortie!  :rofl:"

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 19:43:45 PM »
Mia is a tortie so bound to be full of tortietude  ;D

I dont think I would go for it LOL but only you can decide

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 16:58:07 PM »
How big is your house? If you think you have enough space that they could all have their own space if they didn't become the best of friends then I think you should go for it  ;D

If you explain the personalities of your current two to the rescue I'm sure they could find a cat that would be likely to work well with them.

Offline lilylass

• Kitten
Looking to add another ... but have a very dominant cat
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 20:19:04 PM »

Here goes ..... I'd love another cat and would happily have an adult as there are so many looking for homes but, there's a "but".

I have 2 cats currently:

Archie - huge male (over 6kg & very skinny).  He'll be 6 in November, is very vocal and affectionate but is dominant. (We think there may be a bit of Bombay somewhere in there!)

Mia - average size (bit pudgy).  She was 3 in June, is very affectionate with me, however, she also wants to be dominant.

Both were hand reared - him from 4.5 weeks, her from 3.5 weeks (not intentionally, I will add).

They used to get on OK until Archie was hurt in a fight and while he was licking his wounds (which were mainly dented pride - although he did cut his paw pads which was really painful), she decided she was going to "take over".

He couldn't be bothered at the time but once he recovered, it was a nightmare - she literally went nuts every time she saw him and in the end I had to keep them in separate rooms / going in & out at different times and through different doors.  Very slow introductions eventually saw them get to a "tolerate" position, however, they're never going to be the best of friends.  (Very frustrating how sometimes they can both lie in the same room quite happily and an hour later, they're fighting again).  Touch wood, things are OK at the moment, they still have the odd "fisticuffs" but nothing serious.

(I also have an old dog, who they both get on with).

So, although I'd love another ....... I guess I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar situation and if you've gone ahead with another cat, how did it work out?

I know several people who have numerous cats (ranging from 4 to 9!) and they all seem to get on OK ..... so, does it just get easier once there's more than two!!!

Sorry for the long post!  :thanks:

Link to CatChat