Author Topic: Tough Decision . . .  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
Re: Tough Decision . . .
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 22:45:37 PM »
That link is brill, reckon the OH is going to have fun sorting it once iv got some equipment lol, think ile keep him in garden would only end up following him about going to order lots more toys too as it seems he has got too much energy all of a sudden also had to rethink the house plan after a few incidents, how he gets it in his head to go some places (such as in the bin)!!   :-:
Aww bless him Gill bet you cant wait to let him around the house. i cant stand the noise twix makes when he gets locked out in the kitchen makes me feel like im being the meanest person ever!! 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 22:32:58 PM »
My cats go outside but they are scared of people and traffic noise and also nasty neighbour.

However my new boy Lupin has never been out and that was good but he has only been here under a day and is really hating being shut in one room as he is used to raoming the house and I suspect once he is roaming the house he will want to go out.

Its not safe for him out there but suspect that I may have to build him am enclosure in the end.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 17:04:48 PM »
There's some info on catproofing here: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4802.0.html

I have Secur-a-cat (angled netting) in my garden as I am one garden and a small wooded area away from a 60mph road. My boys were indoor only for the first year or so of their lives before I moved here and put the catproofing up so they have never free roamed. I can honestly say they are no happier since they have had outdoor access as I always made sure they had plenty of stimulation  indoors but that said they do thoroughly enjoy going out.

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 15:48:37 PM »
Yeah i agree i just feel bit out my depth when it comes to this lol. Next question i suppose is how to cat proof my garden? Its a basic wood fence about waist height at the moment. . . .

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 15:07:13 PM »
Can you catproof you garden?

If you live close to a busy road I would be hesitant to let him out but I undertand it must be hard to see him enjoying the garden and wanting to explore further.  It was an easy decision for me as I live in a flat and also near a main road so no way were my boys going outside but they've never had a taste of the outdoor life so dont' hanker after something they've never known.  I suppose you can only weigh up the risks of the road (and any other risks) and balance those against the benefits of him being able to enjoy the outdoors.   Total safety v total freedom!  Or try to compromise on a catproof garden or enclosure.

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
Tough Decision . . .
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 14:18:54 PM »
Hi Guys, hope ur all ok havent been on for a while. All is going really well twix is growing at an alarming rate but im not going to complain.  :Luv:
Ok choice of making him an indoor or outdoor? Iv read a few articles about this (please remember i have never had a cat) and still cant make up my mind. I was originally sticking to indoor only, but ater having his jabs and having a play in the garden he is not happy in the house and is getting tired of garden quickly spending a hour last night at the garden gate wanting out.
I live really close to a farm and a woodland and a nature reserve, but i also live close to a busy road, depending on if you turn left or right.
And how could i be sure that he wouldn't turn toward the road? What helped all of u make the choice? And is there anythiong i can do to keep him better amused in garden or lessen my worry if i do let him go on his own eek!! And how do they no how to get back home?
Baring in mind he will definily not be allowed ouit on his own for a good few months yet until he is bigger.
Thanks

Link to CatChat