Author Topic: 6 cats and all have runny number 2s!!!  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: 6 cats and all have runny number 2s!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 19:27:53 PM »
A change in diet and provided ad lib at the same time is why they are runny, they also smell more because there is more undigested stuff in the poo.
Iams is a poorer quality food compared to RC or JWB, a lot more misc' grain.

I cant see that a sphynx fed 3 times a day will get cold and ill, he gets iams and the others back to their normal routine, it obviously worked for them. Having 5 cats healthy and just the 1 problem cat has to be better than making 5 ill, long term diarrhoea is not good.
Hels has a Sphynx called Bonnie, maybe she will see this and offer her expertise.

I also agree with Elas sentiments, the original cats should come first.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 17:14:04 PM »
Ela she didnt take on three cats . she had 5 cats and took on one 3 year old sphynx perhaps i wrote it wrong - sorry

No it was not you it was me reading incorrectly. It is me who is sorry, however, my sentiments still stands that before we adopt any more cats we need to know it/they will fit in with the resident cats lifestyle. Hopefully your friend will be able to work this one out.

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 16:52:47 PM »
Just have to say I love your signature pic - those fingers (well front toes)  :Luv: :Luv:

When Zebedee my Bengal had a runny bum he was put onto Royal Canin Sensitivity control. you can buy them from the vet but are a tad expenseive, but they worked. She needs to keep an eye on then as they could de-hydrate.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 13:35:30 PM »
Hi
I will tell her about the food mark thanks

Ela she didnt take on three cats . she had 5 cats and took on one 3 year old sphynx perhaps i wrote it wrong - sorry

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 12:14:25 PM »
Hi Mark
He has to eat iams as all other food he is allergic to and comes out in weeping boils on his skin

Maybe thats why my friends cats have runny poo, she used to feed them royal canine,james well beloved but now only feeds them all iams as it would be a disater if teh sphynx got hold of the wrong food

There is a food called Forza10  for cats with allergies. Might be worth a try

http://petfoodwarehouse.co.uk/browse_493
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 12:14:46 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 11:56:04 AM »
I don't wish to sound a cow but surely your friend went into all the implications of homing 3 more cats and their needs, especially knowing it would be impossible to separate them.  This is one reason why we always do a home visit so we can explain the needs of the cats, inquire about any resident cats needs and look at the practicality of it all.

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 11:38:27 AM »
Hi Mark
He has to eat iams as all other food he is allergic to and comes out in weeping boils on his skin

Maybe thats why my friends cats have runny poo, she used to feed them royal canine,james well beloved but now only feeds them all iams as it would be a disater if teh sphynx got hold of the wrong food

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 11:34:15 AM »
Not that I know much about these things but willow used to have runny poo and throw up when she was on Iams -

I noticed in PAH that they had some Royal Canin breed-specific dry foods. I don't know if there is a real differnce of if its a good excuse to charge more for them.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 11:30:44 AM »
my friend would appreciate that thanks

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »
aw shes is an absolute little babe  :Luv:  with the most gorgeous eyes,

do you know much about sphynx's in general ?

I know a leperm (rex breed also) lady who has sphynx, if you wanted i could see if she could help with any info etc if you feel you need more knowlege about them..from what i can gather there are fairly specific routine maintanence tasks you need to carry out which isnt normally needed on normal cats.

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 10:36:06 AM »
Health wise its all okay as she went to the vets

but its the smell it smells really bad worse then usual

we think its because they have the constant supply of biscuits throughout the day and night but the BREEDER stressed that sphynxs have to have a huge great dane sized dish of iams down on the floor all day as sphynxs eat little and often as they have a high metabolism and if they dont dont eat often they get ill

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
Sounds like the pigging out has gone straight through them, it does mine so i cant free feed either, i would suggest going back to how they were fed before, is she at home to give the sphynx some meals in the day?

Im not sure about the getting cold thing if hes living indoors! Maybe a jumper would help  :evillaugh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 09:29:09 AM »
yes she really needs to take some if not all to a vet, perhaps even just take the 2 worst affected ones along and your friend should also take a couple of fresh faeces samples along with her incase the vet would like to have it tested.  (she can store in fridge if they do the deed and the vets app isnt for a few hours)

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 09:00:40 AM »
oh no not 6 lots of runny poohs
i feel sorry for ur friend
i think she better seek advice form the vet
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 08:55:13 AM »
I really think your friend needs to consult a vet to ensure there are no underlying problems. It could be  that the 2 newbies had a problem and have passed it on.

As she has has no internal doors I would think it would be extremely difficult to keep 2 lots of cats with totally different eating needs. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 08:59:01 AM by Ela »

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
6 cats and all have runny number 2s!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 08:42:09 AM »
Hi

My friend 3 weeks ago aquired a 3 yr old sphynx her other cats are normal moggys.
anyway my friend was told by the breeder to feed half a pouche of whiskas in the morning and dry biscuits left down for him throughout the day as they get cold and need to eat regulary
her moggys always had half a pouche of whiskas in the morning each and biscuits controlled by her
she is my opposite neighbour and our houses are exactly the same NO DOORS  so she cant confirm the food in one room
so her moggys have been eating greedily,while the sphynx will eat little and often

her 2 problems are: all of her cats have soft runny poo - it used to be solid

The poo smells more strongly then before

wereas before they did there number 2 maybe once or twice a day she finds each cat goes about 4 x a day
i suggested she tried chick crumb for cat litter and she has been through teh bag in just over a week,
is that how long a big bag of chick crumb would last someone with 6 cats

any advice would be greatly appricated, and then i can pass the info on to my friend as she doesnt have internet connection

Link to CatChat