Author Topic: Found Old mid-teen Boy - OWNER FOUND!!!!!!  (Read 14225 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Old mid-teen Boy - Appears to be blind/partially sighted
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 14:28:51 PM »
He seems to be settling himself in OK  :Luv2: It seems strange that he is apparently well cared for but nobody is looking for him  :( Hopefully someone will come forwards after the article.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 14:29:42 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 14:21:29 PM »
Well, he's finally settled down, bless him. He's gone into the cat room, and it lying on the big sleeping bag bed, next to the ferret cage! He maybe likes ferrets!
I'm currently trying to see if the vet had a good look at his eyes when he was taken in, if not, I'll get them checked as poss high BP worries me a bit. My last oldie with high BP used to have what I called a 'juddering' or a slight 'twitch', and she was high BP, so I'm trying to see if any of that's going on too.
Have attached a pic of him finally having a lie down...
He's actually got amber-coloured eyes, not remotely yellow/green, which are very 'old cat' specky.

Just seen your next post... no, I never found him. He was taken into the vets in Grantham (where I used to nurse) and they have had him 8 days. I've arranged for something to be put in the Grantham Journal, but, yes, please feel free to move him to the 'found' section, just in case. I really hope his owner comes forward... he may be missing vital meds already.

Liz

Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 14:10:50 PM »
Just thinking - did you find this puss MarleyMoo?

If so, it really ought to be in 'found' section until we know for def that he needs a new home? if you let me know and I'll move for you  :hug: 
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 13:50:31 PM »
looking at pics looks like retina degredation  (the pupils look cloudy ) if it is then it's not treatable and an old age thing -or he may have high blood pressure which can cause blindness
maybe he was 'rescued ' by some one who clipped claws and put on collar but due to his vision has got lost ?
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 13:47:53 PM »
My old boy is totally blind, pretty much deaf and hyperthyroid - and he sometimes paces, if it's thyroid it's usually random/restless pacing if he's finding his way around due to his lack of sight it's more going over old ground pacing and edges of the rooms - he did that constantly when we first adopted him and will do now if he  loses his tracks a bit.

I wondered about Hyperthyroid, but he does not seem to be 'acting' Hyper T4... and his body condition/eating habits don't seem to match it... he eats well, but he's got a very decent weight to him... but you never know with the older ones. I think it'll be worth doing T4/BP check as soon as poss, but again, it's knowing what will happen with an owner etc... poor, poor boy.

Yep, on the photos (although they keep disappearing for me  :() his coat looks pretty shiny but his eyes do look a bit odd, or maybe that's the camera.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 13:51:21 PM by Janeyk »

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 13:41:42 PM »
I wondered about Hyperthyroid, but he does not seem to be 'acting' Hyper T4... and his body condition/eating habits don't seem to match it... he eats well, but he's got a very decent weight to him... but you never know with the older ones. I think it'll be worth doing T4/BP check as soon as poss, but again, it's knowing what will happen with an owner etc... poor, poor boy.
Looking at him, you'd imagine he'd be the sort of cat who was loved and look after... just a chilled older boy. But, with no microchip, there's no way to know if he's come from further afield. There is definitely a sight issue, for sure. You can see just looking at him and the way he's acting when other cats approach. I'm going to show him to a nice, comfy bed, and shut him in the office with me in the hope he starts to relax and may lie down.  :'(

Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 13:29:13 PM »
The pacing up and down could be that he's unsettled and worried poor boy.   If he's poorly sighted he could also be disoriented.  It's odd if his nails have been recently clipped etc, wonder if he's got on transport and travelled away from home?

The pacing could also be hyprerthyroidism, which would need vet check it's a very common symptom.

Hope you trace the owners, he's gorgeous bless him  :Luv2:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 13:30:30 PM by Janeyk »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 13:28:49 PM »
well a sensible person would but I suppose you never know who is supposed to be looking after it, could just be a neighbour putting down a bowl of food everyday

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 13:27:06 PM »
That's what I thought - but if someone was looking after him when the owner went away and he escaped/got lost, wouldn't they have called vets etc? I guess I'm thinking on what I'd do, and not everyone is like that. Fingers crossed there is an owner, and they see the newspaper article/come forward.
Hate seeing him pace so much... so sad.
Liz
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 13:14:16 PM »
maybe the owner is away on holiday or in hospital or something, does seem strange

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
Found Old mid-teen Boy - OWNER FOUND!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 13:12:18 PM »
I have now got this old boy back at home with me, but I am sure he is either blind or partially sighted. He's walking up to the other cats, pausing like he knows they're there, but does not appear to see them.
And he is pacing constantly... he has not stood still yet. Poor boy.
I have just rung the Grantham Journal to see if they'll run a piece about him, as I am sure he must be owned. He probably mid-teens, his coat is in very good condition, his nails have been clipped and he's wearing a new-looking gold collar. I have not given all info out, as if anyone comes forward as the owner, I will ask questions about him to confirm he's theirs.
I wish I could help his and stop his pacing - any ideas?
He's not had blood pressure checked, due to no funds offered from RSPCA, and only enough to run FeLV/FIV (which was negative) from another local cat charity, so I have paid for his pre-anaesthetics, which were, amazingly, all absolutely normal.
I said I would keep him, but knowing he is blind/partially sighted, I am not sure it would be fair him being here, as I can't offer him all that he would need in terms of time/reassurance for his disability.
So, I'll keep him until the paper runs a piece and see what happens. Then it looks like I'll be looking for a home for this guy, too.
It just baffles me that if he is owned (especially being in such cared-for condition), why nobody has come forward or even called round the local vets...
Any ideas on the pacing front/helping him settle, much appreciated.
Pics attached...
Liz

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:09:27 PM by MarleyMoo »
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Link to CatChat