Author Topic: 24hrs a day chat!!!  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: 24hrs a day chat!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 21:06:32 PM »
It's like Gill says - your router is a little box of tricks that plugs into the phone socket and does all the "behind the scenes" stuff - bouncer on the door, signalling away at your 'puta.  Then you can be onlineanywhere in the house - more than one 'puta at a time.  S'great!

I'm really uselesss with technical thingies, but a good friend set it all up for us, and I love it.  Am still trying to get the hang of pictures though (said friend's on his hols at the moment....!)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 18:08:48 PM »
Like you have a modem now, you will need a wireless router thingy and once evrything is set rught then within a certain distance of that you will be able to use lap top without anything esle cos it will pick up signal.

I think thats about right but the wireless peeps will be able to tell you more :)

Offline Emma S

• Adult Cat
  • Meg and Darcey
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 15:46:30 PM »
I dont really get this wireless thing!! ???

You buy a router yeah, and then you can get internet anywhere in the house? Does the laptop have to have something special to do that?

I have got BT broadband but its through my phone line, I've got a thing tho so I can use the phone as well as the internet at the same time. Could I get wireless? I'm getting a laptop at christmas so would be handy to be able to surf the net through the house.
Love Emma & the girls - Meg and Darcey xxx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 13:58:49 PM »
yep also means you can get really  comfy on your fave chair/sofa LOL

mind you that means you spend more time with it on your knee hehe

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 12:19:31 PM »
Thanks all that's really helpful, think I might give wireless a go, it's very draughty sitting  at the table - old house, lots of draughts!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 10:11:56 AM »
hello

RE wireless, i'm with bt so i know i prob pay abit more than some other companys but i just find it easier to keep everything together

anyway its a bt wireless reuter we have and i am sure it only cost us ?25 for the reuter and its that bit that gets plugged into the phone socket.

I'd say it has most defiantely been worth it - god yes i would hate to be stuck at one point to use my lap top now and also if you have it my hubby can be on his computer and i can be on mine and both of us on the broadband signal..its fab fab fab..doesnt cost any extra once you have the reuter and i havent really had any problems..if i am using it in the kitchen which is the furthest room asway from the reuter (which is in my bedroom) then the signal strength is lower but it works just the same.  the closer you are to the reuter the higher signal strength is but i dont notice much difference in performance.

Offline x Beckie x (Buffy)

• Senior Cat
  • x Missy and Pickle x
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 10:05:28 AM »
My mum has wireless and its great - can sit on the sofa and surf or take it to bed etc.

Im not getting wireless. Its not worth it!

Just got to get a laptop now! I have got one that i will use temporarily but the screen is damaged so need to buy a new one. More saving here we come!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 07:49:57 AM »
Hi chaps.  I've just converted to broadband after years of being on a very dodgy dial up which hardly made it worth going on our home 'puta.  I love the wireless broadband.  It's great.  And the package we're on means we can surf and browse as much as we like without having to worry about exceeding usage levels or cost.  Definitely worth it, I think.  I used to have to do most of my 'putering at work, which was a worry when it was personal stuff.  Great to be able to do it at home instead!

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 22:08:05 PM »
Lynn how do you find the wireless broadband, does it work ok? I have normal but thinking about getting wireless so I can take laptop away from the dining table. Mind you if I can take it up to bed with me I'll prbably never get any sleep cos I'll be on here!

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 22:03:02 PM »
Love the broadband, soooo much better than dial up,
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 17:35:30 PM »
Me too, it's lots better I had to have it for my OU course this year but apart from a few teething probs it's great. :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 17:24:39 PM »
yeah ive got broad band too..thats why my comp can be left on all the time

ive also got the wireless reuter thingy so i can carry my laptop where ever i like !

Offline x Beckie x (Buffy)

• Senior Cat
  • x Missy and Pickle x
24hrs a day chat!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 14:49:31 PM »
Im so happy - i just ordered broadband for home!!! I so cant wait!!! I can chat all day, not just 9-5!!!

Im so happy - I dont need a phone line either as its NTL - WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link to CatChat