Author Topic: EU-wide battery cage ban is due to come into force- please help to reject the attempts to delay  (Read 3954 times)

Offline Grimalkin

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Snowball, Jasmine and imminently Tara Geraldine.
Signed.  My horror of factory farming began as a 10-year old when I saw inside my cousin-in-law's battery sheds.  The noise and smell were unbelievable.  The gangway was filled with dead/dying hens, kicked cruelly aside.  The living ones had hardly any feathers.  It was like a scene from Belsen.   It was this that turned me vegetarian.  I've seen many similar horrors since then.  I've also seen many rescued animals flourish when freed from this hideous cruelty done in the name of profit.  This new legislation would only be a very small step towards humanity, but it's better than nothing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:48:13 AM by Grimalkin »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Spain finally backs The Big Move – but Europe’s hens still need your help.......... Petition to sign

http://action.ciwf.org.uk/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?ea.client.id=119&ea.campaign.id=10336

This week, the Spanish Government told farmers currently housing hens in barren cages to submit action plans by July, showing how they will be ready for the ban when it comes into force in January 2012.
This is great news for the hens, and a major reason for this success is the public pressure exerted upon the Spanish authorities by supporters of The Big Move. Over 16,000 emails were sent earlier this year, and they played a huge role in bringing about this momentous change of heart in Spain. Well done!   

Additionally, the Polish Government, one of the main opponents of the ban, now looks increasingly likely to back down and accept it. This is another major step forward. But we must not be complacent at this crucial stage.
Take action to ensure all EU member states are ready by January 2012

Although the European Commission are supportive and positive change is afoot, there is still much to do to defend Europe’s hens. A number of member states still do not have plans in place for implementing the ban – now less than seven months away!
This is not acceptable. We need your help today to call on the Commission to ensure all member states produce an action plan for implementing the ban – in full and on time.

Remember, the EU-wide ban on barren battery cages will be one of the most significant steps forward ever taken for farm animal welfare, and your action here will make a big difference to millions of hens. A barren battery cage typically holds four or five hens, with a minimum legal floor space allowance per bird of less than an A4 sheet of paper.
So join with us now in defending the ban and help us ensure that all member states draw up their action plans to be ready for the changeover.
Thank you

http://action.ciwf.org.uk/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?ea.client.id=119&ea.campaign.id=10336

Link to CatChat