Author Topic: FIV+ cat RSPCA PTS date 8 June - SORTED  (Read 10133 times)

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
Re: FIV+ cat RSPCA PTS date 8 June in Devon
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 16:58:15 PM »
Hope you get him home soon.  He sounds lovely!

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 16:00:45 PM »
Glad you were able to speak with the manager at the shelter and you were able to make it clear to them that you are looking out for this little guy.

Do let us know how you get on and hope he can be released back to you. :hug:

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 14:51:45 PM »
We had 37 normals cats and 2 FIV+ ferals who all lived topgether with no transference, sadly FIV did take hissy Holly and Sailor but they had long lives and were happy

We now have 52 cats and 2 dogs and a puppy living happily together - we have no tailed, 3 legged, heart murmers ferals who can give Bengal tigers a run for their money and the ones who couldn't cope in a normal family home all live here happily and are allowed to be all they can be ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 14:05:18 PM »
Thank you for caring for this little lad and fingers crossed he will be realsed back into your care soon  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline solar

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Jet & Millie
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 13:45:52 PM »
Thanks for all the information you have given me and for the messages of support  :thanks: . We didn't manage to bring him home today  :'( though we did give him a lot of fuss. The manager does seem to want to do the best for him even though we have differing views on FIV and he wants to get a full report from the vet on Wednesday to make sure we are both fully informed about his health and to find out if there are any underlying illnesses. We are hoping for a positive outcome after the vet's assessment as if there is no claim of ownership we consider ourselves his owners.

He has promised that the cat will be safe and not PTS before we discuss his future again on Wednesday, I hope we have convinced him that FIV is not a good enough reason in itself to end any cat's life and that if he is otherwise healthy he may have many more years of happiness ahead. He doesn't appear to be in any pain or distress so I don't think PTS should be an option at all. I'm shocked that anyone thinks it is the right thing to do. It seems there was a misunderstanding at the vets and he shouldn't have ended up at the shelter, the vet must have assumed we didn't want to care for him. Now he is at the shelter, the manager feels he has a duty of care to the cat and won't release him until he is in full possession of the facts.

As for our little friend, he was his usual friendly self, pleased to see us despite what we've put him through. They believe he is around 8 years old and is entire and so our first step would be to neuter and make sure he is warm, safe and well fed in his own room at home which we have prepared for him.

We will keep you updated, thanks again everyone  :hug:

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Thomas, Suki, Sweep, Tatty & Tabs
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 00:47:50 AM »
Good luck for tomorrow.

I have 2 FIV+ and 4 FIV- cats who live together quite happily, so as Michelle says, it is possible, although I have no idea how easy it would be to persuade the RSPCA about this.

Obviously it is very important that this kitty is neutered.

I noticed that you said that he is a "sweet and friendly cat", so it is possible that he gets on with your cat?

I don't know if you have read the Cat Chat FIV Information page yet (http://www.catchat.org/fiv.html), but together with a lot of other useful information it states:

Can FIV-positives and FIV-negatives live together?
The most recent research carried out at Glasgow University's Companion Animal Diagnostics indicates that the chances of FIV being passed from one cat to another in the same household is approx 1-2%. This means that if you have 100 cats (!) in a house with 1 FIV positive cat, only 1 or 2 could be expected to become infected. Even when FIV was passed on, as in the Glasgow survey, none of the cats actually died of it. In another survey a few years ago FIV was not passed from cat to cat in the same household at all.

The Celia Hammond Animal Trust have been conducting a long-term study at their sanctuary since the late 1990's, where FIV-positive and FIV-negative cats live happily together, grooming each other and sharing food bowls and litter trays. Regular blood tests for the virus are carried out, and to date no cases of transmission have yet been found.

There seems no reason, therefore, not to have FIV positive and negative cats in the same household, provided they are not fighters. If two cats in one household fight, they should be kept apart, given behavioural therapy or one re-homed, regardless of their FIV status. So, this is obviously a decision to be taken on a case by case basis, depending on the natures of the cats involved.

I'm not sure if this is of any help at all, but if you can get this kitty away from the RSPCA, even if only temporarily until a safer place can be found for him, then please please do.

Again, best of luck  :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 23:44:52 PM »
Firstly let Me just say .....I HATE RSPCA

I don;t understand why the vet got them involved, it wasn't their right to do that as YOU took the cat in to have his ears looked at !
Did you at anytime say you didn't want him ?

Is he neutered by the way ?

I can't tell you to lie and tell them you haven't got another cat *ahem*

How does your cat react to this one ?

I had one FIV positive cat living with 10 cat NON fiv cats so it so possible

Good luck xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 23:23:49 PM »
I don't have any practiocal advice, just wanted to say good on you for trying to help this boy and good luck for tomorrow. Please let us know how you get on  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 23:02:08 PM »
Wishing you lots of luck tomorrow  :hug: :hug:

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 22:54:11 PM »
I am very sorry and shocked to read this - good luck tomorrow
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 22:36:24 PM »
Just wanted to wish you luck and echo the excellent advice given by peeps here. It just makes me so angry, their attitude sucks. We have rehomed quite a few FIV+ cats and indeed have 3 in at the moment, all gorgeous healthy cats. They take a bit longer to rehome but we always manage in the end.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 22:17:23 PM »
Please also check out the info on the Catworks site - they are very experienced with FIV+ cats and there are many stories on there of FIV+ and FIV- cats living together without the virus being passed on. So you can arm yourself with the facts and assure RSPCA you know what your are taking on (if you decide to have him back with you)  :hug: http://www.v63.net/catsanctuary/fiv.html

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 19:26:50 PM »
Best case scenario is to explain the situation to a friend and get them to go along to the RSPCA looking for a single indoor cat. it may be the only way to get the cat out again.....

once he's safe then you can decide what best to do with him.

or you can threaten bad publicity with the rspca and they may back down and let you have him back.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 19:24:15 PM »
Hi Edd,
I don't want to name and shame the particular branch until I'm sure we have all the facts right tomorrow, then I'll update the thread. Thanks for the support  :thanks:

Totally understand  :hug: Good luck tomorrow  :hug:

You might want to check with them what FIV/Felv test was undertaken when speaking with them - ie snap inhouse test or sent away to a lab.

This website has some useful info:
http://www.gla.ac.uk/faculties/vet/cad/informationforowners/felineimmunodeficiencyvirusfiv/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 19:27:40 PM by Edd »

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 19:19:06 PM »
Good luck tomorrow.

Nicky 

Offline solar

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 19:09:56 PM »
Hi Edd,
I don't want to name and shame the particular branch until I'm sure we have all the facts right tomorrow, then I'll update the thread. Thanks for the support  :thanks:

Offline solar

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 19:06:09 PM »
Hi Gill,
The vet said they would keep him in overnight after treating him and transfer him to a rescue centre (either CPL or RSPCA)  the following day as he had no chip.  I didn't realise any decisions would be taken out of our hands like this, at the time I was just thankful he was being treated and cared for.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 19:04:00 PM »
Thanks

The cases I have been involved with are cats handed into the hospitals although am aware that branches also have this unnecessary approach to pts FIV+ cats >:( but some don't  and try to find suitable homes for them.

Please let us know how you get on tomorrow and thank you for caring for this little one  :hug:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 19:23:20 PM by Edd »

Offline solar

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 18:55:58 PM »
Hi Edd,
Thanks for your quick reply. The date for PTS isn't certain - I'll change this in the subject title when I know, their exact words were “The cat is fine within himself, but he has tested positive for FIV so he will need to be put to sleep unfortunately if we cannot find him a home”. It was very difficult to hold a conversation with them due a noisy phone line and they were just closing so we plan to go and talk to them in person as soon as they open tomorrow to get more details (including the reference number). I'm thinking Wednesday is the worst case scenario based on other branches policy I've read about -  the 7 days, which is why I'd like to get him out before then. I'm in Devon, I'll update more info and post the reference number tomorrow.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Rescuing a cat from the RSPCA
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 18:34:18 PM »
Definately an urgent case and will move.

I just hate them with a passion.

I just dont understand why the vet moved the cat to RSPCA, did you ask him to do this?

The last one we heard of only a couple of weeks ago was a dog, well a puppy and he was pts by them.

Please can you amend the title.......first and your last post,,,,,,,,to add on necessary info

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
Re: Rescuing a cat from the RSPCA
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 18:27:01 PM »
Hi

Sorry that you have had to find out about this organisation's policy to pts after 7 days and also their automatic pts of FIV+ cats.

I ( like many others) have been involved before in trying to stop them pts cats after 7 days and with the help of rescues and people on forums like this we have managed at the 11th hour to get the cat released to the original finder.

When they are saying the cat has tested FIV+ positive, this may be based on an in- house snap test which are not considered the most reliable. Bloods should be sent away for lab testing. I am not sure whether they would release an potential FIV+ positive cat to you but perhaps all avenues have to be explored - FIV+ friendly rescues, peeps that already have FIV+ cats etc.

I personally would class this as an urgent case (don't know if mods would consider moving to urgent section and perhaps renaming the Subject FIV+ cat RSPCA PTS date 8 June ).

So the cat has until next wednesday. What is the location of the cat and have you the reference no. so peeps can see if they can help?

Would also consider posting this on Cat Chat if you have not already.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 18:34:48 PM by Edd »

Offline solar

• Kitten
FIV+ cat RSPCA PTS date 8 June - SORTED
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 17:35:37 PM »
Hi,

I'm in a bit of a state at the moment as we took a stray cat into the vet on Wednesday as his ears were looking sore. We have been feeding him whenever we've seen him for 2 years and checking he is well. The vet treated him, kept him in overnight and transferred him to the RSPCA yesterday. We just rang up to check he is settling in and they've told us he has tested FIV+ and they have threatened to PTS! I now feel I've done the wrong thing for such a sweet and friendly cat. I'll do anything to save this lovely cat but I don't know how to save him or how long he has. We plan to go in when they open tomorrow and ask if we can give him a temporary home until we find something permanent but we have our own cat to consider and we're not sure of the chances of them releasing him to us when we have a FIV- cat. I am assuming we have until Wednesday when the 7 days are up to rescue him before PTS but I don't know for sure, I just want to get him out to safety.

What is the best way to help him?

Thanks

Solar
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 21:34:04 PM by solar »

Link to CatChat