Author Topic: Worried for the welfare a cat :o( Northumberland  (Read 7469 times)

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
Re: Worried for the welfare a cat :o( Northumberland
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2011, 12:46:38 PM »
I was in the same situation as your niece but with 2 females who disappeared  :shify: I wish i was living close i would come and pick the poor mite up, could you pop her in a carrier until the woman goes out then sneak her in your car as soon as you  have found some one to take her in ???
I think if your niece took her in it would cause a lot of arguments with this woman and would she want to claim the kittens when born  :(

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2011, 19:16:35 PM »
I would contact the Newcastle Cat and Dog Shelter as they often keep pens open for emergencies and i've found them very useful in the past.

http://www.dogandcatshelter.com/

Good luck with it!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2011, 22:10:40 PM »
The house is rented, she has a collie aswell, but she does often take the dog when she is out all day.
There was no signs up advertisin an estate agent so its possibly a private landlord, where as long as he is gettin rent paid then prob not bothered as the house was empty for a good few months x
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2011, 21:52:10 PM »
 :hug: 'Interfering' is when you give your opinion unnecessarily, not when you have real concerns for the welfare of a cat or child or other vulnerable creature. It's not so long ago that it was commonplace for people to help their neighbours, to get together and take action - IMO that was a caring society NOT interfering.  :hug: AFAIK no reputable rescue would PTS a pregnant female unless at death's door or in a lot of pain, but I am no expert so perhaps others will confirm.

I had another thought as I am guessing this person is renting, does their landlord know about the cat? ;)
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2011, 20:42:49 PM »
Poor girl - she really needs to get out of that situation.

I personally think that if she cared for the poor girl she would take more care of her. Its different putting your cat out to play (i let 3 of mine play out, but are only out when i am in, & never out at night or bad weather) this poor girl jumps at the door handle, but there is nobody there all dau to let her in  :(

Am i just being an interfeering mare  :-:
and

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2011, 13:49:52 PM »
Poor girl - she really needs to get out of that situation.

Offline Rafflesmoore

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Elsie,Baby Blue,Dolly,Lilo,Marmalade, Oscar aka Ginger Ninja, Sweetheart (Raffles, Chappie, Chu Chi & Bonnie at Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2011, 13:27:02 PM »
Hello Tina

Could you go to the lady and ask her directly if she wants the cat. Maybe pretend you know someone who is looking for a tortie girl.

Prior to this, ask the PDSA if they are wiling to pay for this girl to be spayed, explaining the desperate situation she is currently in. I know some vets will spay cats even when pregnant, (I know this is an awful thing but when there are so many unwanted cats/kittens, maybe the kindest).

I am not sure if my suggestion is of any help.

Julie

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 11:09:07 AM »
tbh i dont think rspca will do anything either  >:(

so if anyone can offer this girl help please message me before its to late x x
I am willing to do my share  :shify:  ;)
and

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 09:28:30 AM »
I don't think the rspca will do anything, there was a cat near my mum in the same situation which had three litters in one year and they basically accused me of being a nosey curtain twitcher - apparently endless litters doesn't equate to poor treatment

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Worried for the welfare a cat :o(
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 09:16:30 AM »
There is a PDSA not local but i could drive there . She kept the cat in for a few days, but its back out again.
And my niece has been feeding & fussing her, she said that she is definatly pregnant. Bless her she is so thin to start with  :(
I would like to know it will definatly get a home and not the dreadful P thing  :'(
and

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2011, 23:04:27 PM »
 :hug: Did you find any rescues through Cat Chat? Could you ring the RSPCA (maybe more than once)? Is there a PDSA you can turn up to and hand her over as a stray? Or maybe change the title of this thread to include the area?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 19:09:54 PM »
She took the cat in when she got back so i missed her. But later on she was back out  >:( and couldnt get over.
(she is still letting it in her house for a warm, fuss & food)
My niece dont want any one pulling up at the door as it will come back on her because of the amount of times
she has knocked with the cat in her arms. I have learned off cheryl that she freaks and runs of the sight of a dog (but she lives with one) This baby definatly needs a caring place to go  :shify:
and

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
I think you need to ring round all rescues to see if you can disapeer it.

Cats that are shut out a lot do have a habit of wandering off a lot, don't they?  Esp when they're not neutered  ;)

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 21:30:05 PM »
Have you seen the cat, yet? How is she?
Is it as bad as it sounds??

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2011, 18:06:49 PM »
Thank you, any info is much appreciated  :hug:
and

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2011, 18:04:20 PM »
Go to Cat Chat thro our links and click on the right county on their map and will bring up the rescues there.

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 17:55:00 PM »
Have spoke to my niece. The woman has been out since taing kids to school & not returned yet.
Kitty has been out all day  :( I can not keep her here because i have 3 bugguns & a kitten & Lola (bully)
Anybody know of any rescues in northumberland. All i am gettin is reccue/rehome. Have rang a local CPL & there is a voicemail sayin that they are unable to take any cats in. I am gonna ring our local cat & dog shelter aswell x
and

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Apparently it feels like a tooth is loose as she has felt something sharp at her mouth & her little bum looks
red & sore. She is thin, but the back of her belly feels lumpy & heavier (thats how cheryl has described it)

Now I AM worried, a sore bum, loose tooth and possibly pregnant, or else maybe a tumour or colic.....
If it is indeed that bad, don't even bother seeing the neighbours, but take her to your vet straight away.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:31:36 PM by Jiskefet »

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 12:19:05 PM »
I think that Gill is right, when people approach me about Cassie I am only to happy to tell them what is happening to set their minds at rest about her.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 12:05:06 PM »
I just hope that this kitten is not pregnant.

I think you need to ring round all rescues to see if you can disapeer it.

It also sounds like it needs checking out at the vets and your neice would be best to get this cat into one room and let her kitten roam as normal except for this room...............this is to do with possible health reasons.

Her neighbour sounds like a nightmare

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 10:00:10 AM »
Have spoke to my niece this morning. She has tried to speak to her when she opens the door she shuts it just as fast. Kitty has been out all nite & out now but cheryl has fed her. She takes her kids to school & is out all day & returns after T-Time.
 On weekends someone goes & take her kids !!
I am going over tonight to see kitty as cheryl lets it in her house, but has to lock her kitten away as cheryl is scared they fight as there is growl's goes on.
Apparently it feels like a tooth is loose as she has felt something sharp at her mouth & her little bum looks
red & sore. She is thin, but the back of her belly feels lumpy & heavier (thats how cheryl has described it)
If i get no joy at the door..... what next ?
and

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 08:15:29 AM »
Fingers crossed your niece can have a word and make them see sense.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 06:27:59 AM »
Please ask your Niece to speak to the lady nicely. I have had many concerned people speak to me about Cassie, she is very thin, does runny poos, and since I had to clip out all the mats from the bits she doesn't let me groom, she looks like a walking skeleton. She eats 4-5 pouches a day, is wormed, has had steroid injections from the vet, special diet ect. to no avail. The vet can find nothing wrong with her. I am just praying that her fur grows back quickly and hides the ribs!

(She also does a very good Help me, I am starving act to next door who give her chicken breast ect, even though they know that she is fed...He gives me lifts to the vet with her!

I agree, you need to ask politely and kindly and then take action if need be or still unsure.  Some cats (like people) can look thin or dishevelled and they are fine it's just how they are, however from the photo I dont' think puss looks that thin.  Although crossing the road would worry me  :scared:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:33:02 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 00:59:08 AM »
Please ask your Niece to speak to the lady nicely. I have had many concerned people speak to me about Cassie, she is very thin, does runny poos, and since I had to clip out all the mats from the bits she doesn't let me groom, she looks like a walking skeleton. She eats 4-5 pouches a day, is wormed, has had steroid injections from the vet, special diet ect. to no avail. The vet can find nothing wrong with her. I am just praying that her fur grows back quickly and hides the ribs!

(She also does a very good Help me, I am starving act to next door who give her chicken breast ect, even though they know that she is fed...He gives me lifts to the vet with her!
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 19:58:54 PM »
This poor cat needs someone to rescue it  :(

hear hear - poor little love  :(

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 18:13:15 PM »
I will speak to my niece to see if she has managed a conversation with her about this baby.
I see my niece quite iften so she will know i am family as she will see my car, but i dont care where an animal is involved.

Had a situation brought to my attention the otherday where a 9mth staffy pup was being beaten by its owner, RSPCA were called but they didnt do anything.
Someone went & took the dog, it is a nervous state & could tell it had been badly abused (its safe now) as i offered to take it in as a
till a rescue/foster apace was found.

So i will see how things progress, but i wont stand down if i think something is up  >:(

and

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Belle, Malcolm & Hal
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 17:13:56 PM »
Of course that's always a worry, but needs must when there aren't enough people to go around. I suppose it depends how often you might see said neighbour. I wouldn't know most of my neighbours if I passed them in the street.  :-:

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 17:06:45 PM »
The trouble with confronting a neighbour is that you will still be living next to them, and they might bear a grudge. And a stranger who specially comes to their neighbourhood, or even their town, apparently on official business, to address their cat's plight, will probably make quite an impression, whereas a complaining neighbour may merely be viewed as a nuisance.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 15:38:32 PM »
I should think that since I managed to confront my neighbour, most people will manage. I was feeling like a right wuss.  ;D

But I guess I was lucky...

Knowing legal rights and having a back up plan should the neighbour give up possession of the kitty will probably be enough.

I'm betting she's an idiot, anyway.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 15:26:15 PM »
unfortunately we have less and less active rescue members, they are all folding under the huge pressures of rescue  :(

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 15:16:36 PM »
I was thinking of a purrs member active in a rescue centre and living in the area. Just so the person addressing the issue with the owner is someone with authority on the subject of neglected cats, and not the niece, herself.
If we know someone who'd take the cat, that is, otherwise purrs has a cat without a home.....

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 14:55:25 PM »
What you say makes sense Jiskefet but over here most rescues are too stretched on the ground to be doing that. RSPCA and CP to name two!

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 13:24:19 PM »
You are not having a rant, you are making perfect sense.
I think someone should go to the family. Not the niece who is feeding the little mite, but someone from a rescue centre.
They can ooze confident authority about being tipped off about a rabbit in a cat basket and a starving cat having to steal or beg for food. Most people will either give the true story, or else simply disown the cat.
In the first case they know they will be in trouble id the cat is not taken better care of, or if it vanishes, and if they disown it, it can simply be taken away to a better home with proper slaves.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 11:16:14 AM »
Hi Tina,

I just joined the forum as I took on two cats under a year old in similar conditions. Never in the house, underfed, pretty much all the things you describe in the thread.

I also went through all the same thought processes. Should they just disappear? Are there reasons I don't understand?

At first, there was just one little female about begging for food. She was driving everyone nuts, but I loved her from the moment I saw her. Then a very intact male became more noticeable and I knew we'd have problems.

In short - she turned noticeably pregnant and it forced my hand. I really hope this doesn't happen to this little girl if she hasn't been spayed.

I was incredibly nervous about speaking to who I'd assumed the owner was for various reasons but mostly for fear of the little one's health. The story wasn't at all what I expected and it turned out they had been effectively abandoned by a previous tenant. I would have a full and frank conversation with the woman if you can. There may be the reasons suggested, or a completely unexpected story.

The reason I didn't just disappear with them from my parents' home where they live to my own home several miles away was because I felt that if I did without knowing the full story, I'd not forgive myself. When I was about 8 years old, a neighbour took my cat, accusing us of abusing him. He was one of two cats, was well looked after and in good health. They were giving him salmon fillets and hiding him in their home. It broke my heart. So if there are kids in this situation (no matter how the mother cares for them, etc.) I'd think about them.

If she plays hard ball,  :censored: her, basically.  :) Do whatever necessary.

I've just written an essay here. Where did that come from? You don't need newbies coming in having a rant!  :shy:

I hope all works out for the little one. She's a pretty little thing. 

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 23:09:04 PM »
Basically if she cared for the cat she would not let it jump at the handle all day when they are out, which is why cheryl has been feeding her & fussing her. She just sits on the drive or at the door.
Its blowing of gale & rainin here, which is why cheryl went & knocked & said that she was jumoin at her door.  I have just been told she had a rabbit in a cat basket outside the back door for a few days    :censored:  >:(
and

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 23:00:01 PM »
Has anyone asked the owner, if she has a catflap/is getting one installed,  how old the cat is and whether she is suffering from any ill health (am thinking about huge appetite).  It wouldn't be the 1st time a hyperT elderly cat was mistaken for a young thin cat.

I hardly dare think what the neighbours would think about the way we treat Fred if they saw us open the front door for him in all weathers in the hope he will chose to have a quick pee outside instead of on the carpet  :innocent:  Needless to say our house is well back from a quiet road and we either keep an ear cocked for his plaintive squeaks to come in or he meanders around the house and lets himself in through cat flap.  All the same I can see how it might appear if people didn't know us.

if you seen the owner & her kids you would maybe know what i mean)

Suspect this might mean it's a wholly different story in this instance though  :(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 23:00:58 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 22:54:51 PM »
Im in northumberland. Cheryl is slowly going to try & introduce them. She is really thin, she has no tummy & her bones are up on her hind  :( Cheryl has her kitten booked in  a few weeks time to be speyed. Her rescue kitten is her 1st ever, so she aint used to introductions or what to do etc, she always ask me x
and

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 22:45:41 PM »
She does look young but in that picture not really thin.

I would have thought that she would get on with your neices kitten if intros were done properly but of course she needs to aproach the owner cos she is so close.

I dont think a youing cat like that should be out on the streets and wonder if she is neutered.

<ore questions than answers I am afriad. What area is this cos may help if you put in title.

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 22:42:28 PM »
Bless the little poppet  :(

and

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 22:34:54 PM »
She does only look young. My niece has just been to her door again. She has took the cat in, but its so cold
& gale force winds here. I cant take her in, if she id havin kitten i would have a nitemare with my lot & a bully.
I'd help out with transport  :sneaky:  Have just been sent a pic of her as cheryl (my niece has given her mre food
& a warm before taking her back x
and

Link to CatChat