Author Topic: URGENT - FERAL CATS DUE TO BE SHOT BY FARMER (WEST YORKSHIRE) (Uknown Outcome)  (Read 10851 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
As there has been no update will move to sorted now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:05:24 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: URGENT - FERAL CATS DUE TO BE SHOT BY FARMER (WEST YORKSHIRE)
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 19:55:12 PM »
If you're sure  :hug:  I can leave here for you if you're still needing urgent help.  Have you managed to sort anything at all?

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 16:01:16 PM »
Hey!

We can probably put this on the sorted list as it's an ongoing situation we're handling!!!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 20:28:56 PM »
Any news please?

Offline Grimalkin

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Snowball, Jasmine and imminently Tara Geraldine.
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »
So sad to read all this.  I have a house near Ilkley, and would have offered to help, but at the moment I'm spending most of my time in Southport.  I think appalling that the law allows to shooting of cats as 'vermin'.  They have less legal protection than dogs, and this is not right.  In the case of  pets, the loss of a much-loved pet is traumatic, whatever the animal may be.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 18:47:51 PM »
Thanks, but i don't think we'll succeed. I leave notes asking people not to feed them and they ignore me!!!

My friend, Sue, the trapper, took a pregnant cat into a rescue recently-she had 4 kittens, all died one-by-one and, when she was taken in to be spayed, the vet found her womb was in pieces..... :(

She caught one with a large burn (vet thinks)from somewhere else-the feistiest feral she's ever seen! She's had to be kept in a hospital pen in her shed but hasn't been going mad, just not happy! This cat's been locked up for about 2 weeks now-i hate the thought of a feral being locked up-but there's no way it could be released until the wound's better. She's been to the vets a few times too!  These poor cats have a terrible life!

One of the regular feeders has just phoned me-she keeps saying these cats have been there for years and they look fine-aaaaarrgh!!!!  My mommy cat at work looked 'fine' but she had leukemia and a stomach tumour..........There's no hope with these people!  >:(

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 18:20:26 PM »
No Joy with relocation, but Sylvia is trying to concentrate on getting the last female who we think has kittens somewhere. We did ask for the farmer not to feed her whilst we're trapping but think he has been so makes it hard!

The spayed cats are doing well, but obviously not enjoying captivity and we'll have to return them this week once the vet gives the all clear.

Good luck with your trapping - just such an ongoing thing! Once this is done, our trapper is going to an adult female, 2 10 month old kittens and suspected new litter in Leeds - the joy!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 18:04:44 PM »
sensible decision, there are too many looking for homes as it is. i'm glad you are helping them x

I agree! I'm trying to catch a small colony of 4 females and one male that i know of. The male has been 'done' , one female had kittens about 6 weeks ago but we've never seen them, so assume they didn't survive, and it looks like one of the others has given birth last week. The other female looks pregnant......... :(   Every man and his dog are feeding them so it's easier if you've got control of the feeding isn't it? It's a never ending nightmare  :'(

Good luck with the rest of them-have you caught anymore? Any joy with relocation?

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 20:59:50 PM »
sensible decision, there are too many looking for homes as it is. i'm glad you are helping them x

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 19:18:06 PM »
I'm afraid that we made the decision to spay/abort most of the kittens as we weighed up the spay/abort in comparision to keeping the poor mums in pens for 10 weeks at least when they could be back to their farm in a week if we did this. 

Some of them we felt wouldn't cope with birthing again as the farmer had said that some of the litters had been born dead before and only a few months ago.

Any kittens that we find then we'll bring round and re-home as normal. We're turned kittens as old as 4 months or so before and so fingers crossed we can get to them soon!

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 14:26:15 PM »
are you able to find someone to help tame those feral babies down? they may find homes if they are more used to people?

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 14:22:37 PM »
OMG so many babies on the way  :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 13:24:37 PM »
The tally so far, one in season, one not pregnant. two near to term both with two kittens. One was four weeks pregnant with three kittens. one early pregnant with two kittens. Two kittens I know are hidden somewhere with mum and I think another cat has gone off to give birth.

This is most unusual to have so many females as 8 in total. The site is very close to the Harrogate Skipton road so the wandering toms could easily get killed. Someone made it though.

We'll just have to keep trying for the last ones!

Still really trying to find a new farm for them though as the gentleman may be hospitalised quite soon, but there would have been an explosion if we hadn't have gotten in there!

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 11:39:30 AM »
I think that they were crush cages, but i'm not too sure (sorry the messages come through from our volunteers and I report them lol!)

Offline Rafflesmoore

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Elsie,Baby Blue,Dolly,Lilo,Marmalade, Oscar aka Ginger Ninja, Sweetheart (Raffles, Chappie, Chu Chi & Bonnie at Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »
How many did you manage to catch?

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
FERAL CATS RELOCATION REQUEST (WEST YORKSHIRE)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »
So far so good and the 87 year old farmer will continue to feed until we can find somewhere to relocate them.  It is a good job we did go as so many of the cats look pregnant so it could have ended up as a total nightmare.

There is a new mum and kittens under a shed which may be a total nightmare to catch but fingers crossed.

Once the gentleman saw how the cats reacted when they were in the traps (loopy!) he saw how cruel it would be to take them away and put them in a pen for months on end.

Of course, any offers of relocation sites are still welcome!!!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 21:47:13 PM »
Good luck .... posted on my facebook account in case anyone can help.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 21:19:03 PM »
good luck!
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 20:53:22 PM »
good luck x

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 17:58:20 PM »
Best of luck with the trapping.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 17:18:15 PM »
Right, off to set traps for these cats tonight so fingers crossed. I'm not sure that we have anywhere for them, but we're at least going to try to TNR.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 19:29:41 PM »
Just had clarification on the legality of shooting cats on private land...

Shooting a cat sadly isn't illegal as long as it is killed outright. If you miss and injure and have to shoot again then it is illegal.

Madness isn't it?!

Sure is!  Makes a mockery of the law that says cats have the freedom to roam.   :Crazy:

I agree and dont think this is right info cos otherwise any nasty neighbour could shoot neighbours cats

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 22:41:27 PM »
 :( Best of luck for them

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 16:02:22 PM »

Shooting a cat sadly isn't illegal as long as it is killed outright. If you miss and injure and have to shoot again then it is illegal.

Madness isn't it?!

Sure is!  Makes a mockery of the law that says cats have the freedom to roam.   :Crazy:

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 12:20:06 PM »

Madness isn't it?!

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 16:59:01 PM »
Why is he going to shoot them..................too mean to feed them ?

Surely shooting them is illegal and RSPCA should be brought in?

Would have thought so wouldn't you? 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 15:45:22 PM »
Thanks for the info.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 15:43:07 PM »
Hi Gill,

This is all the info I have from my co-ordinator. The branch works in a partly rural area and it really is just a case that some farmers just ignore the cats until it gets too late and they literally just 'want rid' in any way. We have tried to liase with the RSPCA before to no avail and it usually has come to our co-ordinator's skills of persuasion to persuade them to not do this, but she must deem this threat real to get us to post it externally.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 15:33:37 PM »
Why is he going to shoot them..................too mean to feed them ?

Surely shooting them is illegal and RSPCA should be brought in?

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Hello All

Can you put the following in as many places as you can think

OUTDOOR CATS URGENTLY NEED NEW HOMES IN STABLES, LARGE RURAL GARDENS OR FARMS- BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

We often hear from farmers who wants 'rid of ' cats. All we can offer is to trap,neuter and return them as we rarely have space to keep them nor places to relocate them  At least this stops them multiplying. In a currently urgent situation we fear there are also hidden kittens. One local farmer is reluctantly considering the shooting of about eight cats - so they are all in need of urgent help. We will consider anywhere in West Yorkshire but they need to be away from busy roads. The cats will be health checked, neutered, wormed and de-flead.  We can provide holding pens but you will need to feed them at least once a day before, and after, they are released and provide shelter such as a barn or shed. They will repay you by keeping rodents away.
 Hello All

Can you put the following in as many places as you can think

OUTDOOR CATS URGENTLY NEED NEW HOMES IN STABLES, LARGE RURAL GARDENS OR FARMS- BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

We often hear from farmers who wants 'rid of ' cats. All we can offer is to trap,neuter and return them as we rarely have space to keep them nor places to relocate them  At least this stops them multiplying. In a currently urgent situation we fear there are also hidden kittens. One local farmer is reluctantly considering the shooting of about eight cats - so they are all in need of urgent help. We will consider anywhere in West Yorkshire but they need to be away from busy roads. The cats will be health checked, neutered, wormed and de-flead.  We can provide holding pens but you will need to feed them at least once a day before, and after, they are released and provide shelter such as a barn or shed. They will repay you by keeping rodents away.

0845 194 7292

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:04:52 AM by Janeyk »

Link to CatChat