Author Topic: Frontline - how often?  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Frontline - how often?
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 12:01:29 PM »
On a similar subject... Has anyone tried Effipro? It's apparently got the same active ingredient as Frontline and is a bit cheaper.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 15:21:20 PM »
That's terrible. So sorry to hear that. I can understand why you won't use Frontline.

I suppose it's always a risk, like vaccinating, and there isn't ever going to be a right or wrong answer- just what works for your cats.

The Munchkin is frontlined once per month between March-September because he goes out regularly (indeed, spends most of his time in the garden in the summer). I don't bother from October onwards.

Offline KumfyKatz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: SweetiePie, WackyMac, and many others LOL
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 00:57:17 AM »
Yes, I have read it Yvonne.
And many other similar threads on other forums.

However, I too have lost a dear sweet baby girl, my first Turkish Van baby, to Frontline. (and it wasn't even the "spot on" version, but the spray, which I was given to understand was a weaken solution of the spot on version.
It wasn't a comfortable feeling watching as she had spasm after spasm, then died in my arms, her eyes rolling back into her head, and her paws clutching at my face in agony. It was so so quick, that I didn't even have time to get her to the vets, not that I believe now they could have done anything. I never want any cat to go through that expereince ever ever again, which is why I won't allow frontline anywhere near any of my own cats, or the Rescue's cats.
It was proved that the spray I used (and have used many times before), was a "bad Batch", and the rest of that batch was recalled for destruction. I got some monetary compensation, but it will NEVER compensate me for the death of my ItzyBitzyMitzi.
I pray that she, and Spike, and all those others lost to these horrendous chemicals, all are running free now, happy and flea-free. xxx

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 21:58:22 PM »
Ours is on the first day of every month.

Really because it's easier for us, to remember to do.

Actually we don't use frontline now, we use Advocate, which we think is just nicer, and works better, and doesn't have that offputting stink, and doesn't "stain" the white fur on the cat.

I will not use Advocate - it is too strong

Have you seen Spike's thread?

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,27127.0.html
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline KumfyKatz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: SweetiePie, WackyMac, and many others LOL
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 10:10:43 AM »
Ours is on the first day of every month.

Really because it's easier for us, to remember to do.

Actually we don't use frontline now, we use Advocate, which we think is just nicer, and works better, and doesn't have that offputting stink, and doesn't "stain" the white fur on the cat.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 09:59:38 AM »
Every 4 weeks here too although I have let that lapse lately (they are indoor cats) and don't always keep that up through winter.  I prefer to get in there before they get fleas as once they get them you have to do the whole house etc. which is a right faff and not easy to do when you have indoor cats and live in a one bed flat as you (and they) have to be out of the room when you spray it.  So prevention rather than cure for me.

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 23:37:50 PM »
I do all my animals every 4 weeks due to the fact that I have a couple of cats that are allergic to flea saliva, also if one is due to go into the vets for a days stay for any reason will delay the treatment until about 4 days before the cat is due in the vets.  Reason the latter is done is that one cat went to the vets to be neutered and came out riddled with dog fleas and was a few days under the 4 weeks, luckily that was not a cat that was allergic to the flea saliva and I had thoroughly combed it before going to the vets and knew it was totally free from any fleas.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 00:38:19 AM »
I thought Frontline was 5 weeks for fleas?  My box says: "Kills 98-100% of adult fleas within 24 hours for up to 5 weeks..."

That said I do the boys every 4 weeks religiously, even in winter, as it's easy to remember to do them on the 1st of each month. Having had fleas (not me but the cat!) before I never want to experience that again so frontline every 4 weeks and spray Indorex every 12 months.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 23:36:55 PM »
Bonnie's indoor and when I first got her I did her every month as she had a skin problem but as that got better I cut down to once every 3 months and now every 6 months.  If she hadn't had the skin problem I would just do her if I see any.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 22:24:12 PM »
I check Ella, which was easier than Effie, and if i was concerned then I would treat her but every 10-12 weeks I might top them up, I agree with FC

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 19:59:57 PM »
I tend to do mine every 6 weeks.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 19:02:13 PM »
I am the same as FC, only do them when they needed.

Yep, me too  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 18:52:53 PM »
Its once a month if you want to go down that route but like the others only stronghold in my case when they have any.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 18:19:35 PM »
I am the same as FC, only do them when they needed.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 16:41:13 PM »
No, that's fine FC, thanks - it's always good to find out what others do. Since my girls are mainly indoor cats, I'm not sure they need treating that often anyway.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 16:29:59 PM »
I only do mine when they actually have fleas, which in their lifetimes has been 3 times. I reckon the fleas can become resistant and am not one to chemically treat them any more than I have to.

Just my opinion though and I know there are others who do theirs regularly. Sorry, not really answered your question there :-[

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Frontline - how often?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 16:16:03 PM »
I'm a bit confused about how often to use Frontline. The label says every four weeks but the info leaflet says it kills fleas for 15 weeks. Which is it?
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Link to CatChat