Author Topic: Two 4 year old female cats near Edinburgh needing rehomed seperately (Uknown Outcome)  (Read 6572 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
As there's been no update will move this now
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:04:49 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Two 4 year old female cats near Edinburgh needing rehomed seperately
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 07:10:30 AM »
Any news?

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
Do Lothian Cat Rescue not do direct homing?

I'm sure Sarah at Sunny Harbour (based in Fife) would put them on for direct rehoming, although she is very busy and is expecting a baby!

There's also Cat's Protection you could ask.

If you are going to do it yourself, please make sure to visit the prospective new owners at home before making a decision ;)

Offline mazlin

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Cleo and Hesse
A wee update folks. The friend had a change of mind and has decided against rehoming for whatever reason, don't know whether the peeing has put her off, even though I know this will discontinue when the baby stress is removed.
So at the moment we have an advert up in our vets. I don't want them to go via Lothian cat rescue as they will have to go into the shelter and we won't get to know where they go :-(
But each day they pee on her things I get further and further past the end of my tether so may have to bite the bullet and put them on the waiting list for the shelter :-(

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 07:59:58 AM »
Best of luck xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 16:23:44 PM »
Fingers crossed this works out, it sounds ideal for all involved  :hug:

Offline mazlin

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 11:08:24 AM »
I know, if they are regimes through Lothian cat rescue they have to go to the shelter and you don't get to know who is rehoming them, so really hope this works out x

Offline Rafflesmoore

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Elsie,Baby Blue,Dolly,Lilo,Marmalade, Oscar aka Ginger Ninja, Sweetheart (Raffles, Chappie, Chu Chi & Bonnie at Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 10:15:38 AM »
Fingers crossed that your friend will take Cleo then. At least you will still get updates on her if your friend gives her a home.

Julie

Offline mazlin

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 21:36:12 PM »
A wee update, a friend of a friend is looking for a rescue cat so may be able to rehome on of them, we'll get her down to see if she thinks they will be right for her. Posted on the vicky halls group, and the opinion was that Cleo should be rehomed :-(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 11:43:28 AM »
Two beautiful girls and anyone reading your posts can see how loved they are  :hug: It sounds like the best thing for them though, hope you can find fab homes for them both. Maybe pop a poster up in your local vets with their details?

Offline mazlin

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 00:04:48 AM »
Gorgeous cats!

I know!! I had a hard time picking out some photos as I've got so many!  :'(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 22:54:25 PM »
Gorgeous cats!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 22:22:30 PM »
If only I had a bigger place (and more money!) I would take one of them happily, even short term, to see if you could possibly keep one. (I'm in Edinburgh).

Hopefully direct homing will prove successful for you, we don;t have an awful lot of Scottish users here so I think you might have more chance by getting them on as many rescue sites as possible.

Offline mazlin

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 22:13:58 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics for me Janeyk!
As you can see, Hesse isn't too fussed at sitting next to the bambino, she's just v jealous that she doesn't get as much attention! So I reckon she would be fine with a house with children. Cleo I would be a bit more wary of going to a house with children, even though she does now come to Erin for cuddles!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 21:36:04 PM »
Two more....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:43:15 AM by Janeyk »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 21:32:03 PM »
Photos of Cleo and Hesse  :Luv: :Luv:

"Cleo is the one with more white than Hesse."

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 21:27:01 PM »
One thing perhaps to try is Zylkene can be bought on line or from the vet, it gets popped on to wet food and takes the edge off the cats - I use it on ferals and very nervous fosters when they first come in to the house and it does work for us may be worth a try - I use one capsule split on to the wet food twice a day for 3 weeks and combined with Rescue remedy in their water and Feliway and I have happy cats

I do have 54 cats so have used this on over half my mob who are mainly ferals - also used it on our late JRT Jazz on fireworks night
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Rafflesmoore

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Elsie,Baby Blue,Dolly,Lilo,Marmalade, Oscar aka Ginger Ninja, Sweetheart (Raffles, Chappie, Chu Chi & Bonnie at Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 20:36:05 PM »
There is a book Bach Flower Remedies for Cats from Amazon, that is what is mentioned on the thread.

The thread is on the cat rehoming section.

Offline mazlin

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 20:26:06 PM »
No I haven't. is that the natural flower thingies? I'm sure I've used them myself lol! I'll have a look at the thread thanks! I didn't want to go down the route of meds from the vet as I don't feel its fair to zonk them out when it's obvious that it's the living together that is a no go! Pm coming your way jack! x

Offline Rafflesmoore

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 20:06:26 PM »
Hello

Have you tried Bach Remedies? I don't know anything about it myself but on the Cat Chat forum on the 'Dillen' thread somebody mentioned them. You could have a read if you haven't already.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Hi there, I contacted cats protection for east lothian/berwickshire. They said they could put them on their website once the lady that does it is back from holiday, they don't have a shelter or anything, they are homed from home. I don't think Cleo would ever get rehomed if she went into a shelter though as shge would seem like a ferral cat! I hadn't looked in to other places other than cats protection thanks very much for the link. Do other places need the cats to go to the shelter? I don't really want more upheaval for them :-(
Also, any tips on resizing a photo? Mine are too big to post on here! Or is here really a last place to try if the shelters haven't been able to home?
thanks

maz x

Hi yes, if you ring round the other rescues and ask for a 'direct homing' which means the cat stays with you until a suitable home is found and tbh that can be a better option of the rescue is full and also sometimes for the cat too.   Best of luck  :hug:

Re photos you'll need to reduce them, not sure the exact size for here but you can email me them (if you pm me) and I'll do them for you if you like.

Offline mazlin

• Adult Cat
Thanks rafflesmoore, yes, we got a plugin before she arrived in the hope it would help, then recently sprayed ALL the baby stuff with it, got new covered baskets in various hideaways, put down extra covered litter trays in different areas of the house and outside, separate them at meal times, try to keep them in separate areas of the house, try to give each of them their own 'people' time (tricky with new baby demands!) tried rubbing a cloth on ones mouth and then on the other cat, tried a LOT of things. I really had hoped things would change but 6 months on, its actually worse instead of better :-( I'm of course more than happy to try anything else you think might not have been tried!
Kind regards,

maz x

Offline Rafflesmoore

• Adult Cat
That's a shame

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Fairly sure it's been tried, RM. Mazlin posted about these two in Health and Behaviour a while ago.  :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Rafflesmoore

• Adult Cat
Hello

Have you tried a Feliway diffuser.

I have just bought one because one of my cats has started weeing for no apparent reason. Can't say yet if it works because I only bought it today.

On the box it says it helps with challenging situations
Moving house
Building work redecorating
New arrival (baby, pet)
Parties

You never know, it just might work and you wouldn't have to re-home your cats.

Offline mazlin

• Adult Cat
Hi there, I contacted cats protection for east lothian/berwickshire. They said they could put them on their website once the lady that does it is back from holiday, they don't have a shelter or anything, they are homed from home. I don't think Cleo would ever get rehomed if she went into a shelter though as shge would seem like a ferral cat! I hadn't looked in to other places other than cats protection thanks very much for the link. Do other places need the cats to go to the shelter? I don't really want more upheaval for them :-(
Also, any tips on resizing a photo? Mine are too big to post on here! Or is here really a last place to try if the shelters haven't been able to home?
thanks

maz x

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Hi Mazlin, sorry you think you may have to rehome your cats.  Have you contacted rescues in your area?  as Liz says we have a few lady's from rescues that way out who may be able to help if need be.  Otherwise here's a link to rescues you could contact:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/lothian.html

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Try Sarah at Sunny Harbour she may be able to help - she is Madkitty Rescue on here they are based over if=n Fife I know she is technically closed but may be able to help - she is fabulous and always goes the extra mile - I have a harbour baby Miss Gigi Skye :Luv2:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline mazlin

• Adult Cat
Hello all,

I'm very sadly looking for a home for either or both of my cats, Cleo and Hesse. Unfortunately they have not settled in to the arrival of our baby who is now 6 months old, and Cleo has begun attacking Hesse and they just can't live together anymore :-(
I will post about them both and perhaps the person that may be able to offer a home for one of them, would be able to determine which cat might suit their home best, as it may be that just rehoming one will solve the problem.

I have posted on here looking for advice, on vicky halls forum as well, but it unfortunately looks like rehoming is now going to be the best option.

So who are they??

Cleo and Hesse are black and white shorthaired moggies who came to us seperately. Cleo came first- as a 9 week old kitten. A friend had 'bought' her from a gumtree ad at 6 weeks old (I know!) and didn't have a clue what having a kitten involved. So, as I fostered kittens, she made her way to me at 9 weeks old when my friend decided she'd had enough. So a bit of a rocky start but this didn't bother Cleo! Hesse was from one of my foster litters, I've never kept a foster kitten up until it was very evident that Hesse is very much a mummies cat and just wanted to be with me!
Both cats have really just tolerated each other, not really interested in each other, up until our new baby arrived, when unfortunately Cleo became very unsettled and started attacking Hesse, who then started stress peeing because of this. The attacking is constant now, and baby is 6months old, with no sign of this behaviour settling.

Cleo

Cleo is a very lively cat, super friendly with a group of adults, and always comes out to see visitors, UNLESS they happen to be children. She is a quiet cat who barely meows, but is very playful and loves games of fetch and catch! She loves to meet new visitors to the house and clamber over them for attention-she's not so much a lap cat as a 'roll all over you for attention and then run off' cat! She is a grazer who has no specific food preferences/dislikes etc. She is black with white socks, bib and face patches, sleek short hair.

She would not do well in a home with young children or other animals. That said, she has started to accept our wee girl, and comes up and headbutts her, rolling over, is VERY tolerant of the baby grabbing her however; she can be playful aggressive and I wouldn't trust that she wouldn't swipe out at a young child. She is easily spooked, ever since our house got burgled, and occasionaly will spend time hiding away from a noise that only she seems to hear.  She takes a good while to settle in to a new environment, so the person offering a home would need to understand that when under stress, she turns aggressive and wants to hide. This is NOT normal behaviour for her, she is NOT an aggressive cat but this is the beahviour we have been seeing towards our other cat. She has become aggressive when going to the vets, and when staying with relatives whilst we are on holiday-only when out of her comfort zone. Once given time to adjust to her new environment, she is back to her usual friendly self.
She is a lovely natured cat, it's just such a shame that the stress of the new baby has affected her so much.

Hesse (will answer to anything though!)

Hesse is the complete opposite of Cleo, a big fluffy shorthaired lazy lump (still not fat though!) of a lapcat! Hesse loves nothing more than snuggling in, especially lying on feet under the covers. She is a mummies cat and craves attention, she will follow me about the house and is VERY nosey! That said, unlike Cleo, when visitors come, she likes to keep herself to herself. Otherwise she does not like to be shut in a room away from the goings on, and will very loudly let you know if you've trapped her in somewhere by mistake! She LOVES food and will eat EVERYTHING going- so watch your plate! She is super affectionate in a gentle way and has never bitten/swiped at us (she's too lazy to attempt the effort involved!) She is quite particular about her litter tray and has had a couple of episodes of cyystitis with litter brand changes, and unfortunately, due to the stress of being attacked daily, she is stress peeing in any comfy corner. Again, this isn't normal, just her response to the stressful situation. She doesn't seem to bothered by the baby, she doesn't particularly like young children, but what animal does?! She isn't petrified of them like Cleo is. She isn't particulary bothered by other cats either, but she is petrified of dogs so couldn't be rehomed to a home with a dog.

Both cats are neutered, microchipped and need access to outdoors, although they are not yet used to free access.

I'm soo sad to be posting up for a new home for them, but I've come to the decision that it is for the best.
If you need any more info, please let me know.
I'll post some pics up shortly

m xx
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:05:13 AM by Janeyk »

Link to CatChat