Author Topic: Cat-proofing - again  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cat-proofing - again
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 02:00:36 AM »
Not at this end......sigh

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 20:59:54 PM »
Nothing to say about the cat proofing, just wanted to say I love the pics of the cats instead of the list of names at the Persian Palace and Moggy Madhouse BUT I think you should have names under them and also a pic of Chico cos you know he's staying  ;) :hug:

It took me long enough to get all the pics together like that, never mind putting names on 'em as well lol!  :innocent: I hadnt realised, but if you click on the pics, they get a bit bigger  :wow:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 00:05:59 AM »
Nothing to say about the cat proofing, just wanted to say I love the pics of the cats instead of the list of names at the Persian Palace and Moggy Madhouse BUT I think you should have names under them and also a pic of Chico cos you know he's staying  ;) :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 20:06:14 PM »
Yes, don't blame you about putting your own fence up - sorry about the redundancy  :hug:

When I had some weatherproof shutters made for the foster cattery pens, I used something called Corolux, its a flat, flexible clear plastic sheet, similar to perspex I suppose, but think it was cheaper, around £14 for a massive sheet (which I could roll up to put in the car) and I got it from Focus, wonder if that would do the job? http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/CoroluxPVC2000X10000.8mm110212?category=pvc_sheeting - oh I see it says £15.99, still not bad though.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 18:28:20 PM »
so when the cats jump for the top of the fence they cant grip and slide back down (comedy styley  :evillaugh:) or am i thinking different to you Gillian?

Nope, thats the image I have too lol!  :evillaugh:

Ah, yes, I'd thought I'd need to cover the WHOLE of the fence with the perspex, but of coure, thats not necessary is it - when are you gonna do yours Snarf?
Hours of amusment  :rofl:
hopefully this summer, just as soon as i have a confirmed job (redundant 1st april ) ill be putting it up. the perspex wont cost much but given idiot neighbours previous 'improvements' im going to put up my own fence that side so that no-touchy can be enforced  :sneaky: and new fence costs abit more  :doh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 18:11:42 PM »
so when the cats jump for the top of the fence they cant grip and slide back down (comedy styley  :evillaugh:) or am i thinking different to you Gillian?

Nope, thats the image I have too lol!  :evillaugh:

Ah, yes, I'd thought I'd need to cover the WHOLE of the fence with the perspex, but of coure, thats not necessary is it - when are you gonna do yours Snarf?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 17:59:35 PM »
started gathering it back and nailing it to the fence top  :Crazy:

oh dear lol!

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 17:56:19 PM »
ive been planing the perspex thing too  :sneaky: My DIY netting did work but my idiot neighbour couldnt get his head around why do started gathering it back and nailing it to the fence top  :Crazy:
there was a lady that did it by fixing corrugated iron sheets along her fence

Gill- it shouldnt change the temp as as i understand it it just goes along the top few feet of the fence (maybe protruding abit but not really substantially) so when the cats jump for the top of the fence they cant grip and slide back down (comedy styley  :evillaugh:) or am i thinking different to you Gillian?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 17:55:24 PM »
I'd love to know if it does work Gillian, I'm always looking for prettier alternative to my netting!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 17:54:31 PM »
I think the perspex would make it like a green house with an open top so very very hot

Thats ok - I can grow tropical plants up there too then lol!  ;)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 17:52:46 PM »
Yep I thought that too, suppose it depends on how far up that cross strut is? The way I'd use the pipe,  is clipped onto the top of the fence as my fence panels are flat side into my garden, and then also clipped onto the upright fence posts. Like in these piccies for wooden fences facing in http://www.kittyklips.com/details.htm

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 17:50:47 PM »
I think the perspex would make it like a green house with an open top so very very hot

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 17:28:35 PM »
I'm being dense I can't work out how that kittyklips thing works????  what is to stop it gripping above

I imagine the perspex would need clipped claws??  would like to know how you get on

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Cat-proofing - again
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 17:18:50 PM »
I've decided to cat proof an area of my garden where foster cat Chico has his pen, so that he can have loads more space, plus if I have any other long term foster cats, they will also be able to use the space.

I don't want to do the overhang bracket and mesh type which I've got in a different part of the garden and can't afford the katzecure system. I've got 6ft fence panels/trellis panels all the way round and an archway where a gate would go, so was wondering about a really simple approach of either - clear perspex sheet panels fixed to the fence/trellis panels themselves - which, in theory would mean cats couldnt get any grip at all on the fence to climb  ;) , or - was looking at the kitty clip idea where you put lengths of drain pipe on the top of the panels and on the posts - again, in theory, cat would climb but not be able to get a grip on the slippery pipe  ;) (found the link off the FAB website http://www.kittyklips.com/secret.htm )

OR.......possible a combination of both? what do you think? think they'll work? anyone tried these methods?

Link to CatChat