Author Topic: Advice needed - wandering cat, no flap  (Read 1848 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Advice needed - wandering cat, no flap
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:49:07 AM »
Definitely a good plan to look into cat flaps being fitted in a surface other than doors. You'd be surprised how much difference it can make to a cat to have the independence to choose when it comes and goes. :) Welcome to Purrs. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 09:12:11 AM »
Hi and welcome, the window catflaps shouldn't be any more expensive then the door ones - hope you manage to find a solution so you can get some sleep!

aaceuk

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 00:59:33 AM »
Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm often not around during the day but I was thinking of encouraging her to go out earlier in the evening.

Also with the warmer nights I was considering leaving one of the ground floor windows open as she can reach it easily & then she can come & go as she pleases, although I'd still really need to close it when I leave the house to avoid the obvious security concerns!!

I wasn't aware catflaps could be fitted through windows/walls, that may well be a possibility assuming its not prohibitively expensive, I'll look into it, thanks

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 00:49:35 AM »
Also its getting warmer so she will find sunny spots to sleep.

I would make every effort to find some way of fitting a flap as its not good for her not being able to get back when she needs, this in turn could cause her to look for another home

:welcome: to Purrs to  ;D

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 00:42:22 AM »
I and a few others keep them in overnight and let them out during the day. Far safer to be out during the day and they hunt at dusk and dawn so if you're concerned about local wildlife you're minimising the death rate potential :sneaky:

Cat flaps can be fitted in windows and even through walls, could either of these be an option for you?

It sounds like she's just gradually become confident with her area but I admit I start panicking if I haven't seen them for an hour. I have a cat flap and they're in more than they're out.

aaceuk

Advice needed - wandering cat, no flap
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 23:49:24 PM »
Hi there, I'm new to this site and have just come on to ask a question of you knowledgeable & experienced cat owners, hope you can give me some advice...

I've had my cat Lizzy since August last year, she's a 2-year old female tabby which I got from a rescue centre, she's been neutered etc.

I don't have a cat flap as I was advised it would be difficult to fit due to the type & position of my back door. Lizzy has been going outside though since about December, but only for short periods of time, she was never interested in staying out for longer than about 15 mins & would always scratch to come back in.

However over the last few days she has been staying out later and later. First it was midnight, then 3am, then this morning she didn't scratch to come back in until after 7am. I've no idea what time she will return tonight. She doesn't respond to calling & I can't see or hear her outside.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned, or be doing something differently? I generally let her out about 8-9pm. Not usually during the day (sometimes she'll come out into the garden but won't go far). She is a happy & affectionate cat and I live in a nice area with plenty of garden space to roam etc. My main concern is that she won't return before I go to work in the morning, and then she'll be locked out without food until I get back late afternoon.

If anyone has any or suggestions about what, if anything, I should be doing to make sure I'm acting in Lizzy's best interests then I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Andy

Link to CatChat