Author Topic: My head is bursting :(  (Read 2306 times)

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Annastasia 1994-2009
  • Slave to: Elvis & Miki-MooMoo
Re: My head is bursting :(
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 09:14:48 AM »
Thanks guys :)  :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 07:07:58 AM »
A cat enclosure or catproofing your garden would be an ideal compromise.

I understand why people say that some cats need to be outside, but that is only one way of tackling a "problem".  Mosi is a similar cat in that he's always running around with loads of energy and he would love to go outside.  I know I would have a calmer life in some ways if he did as being outside provides an outlet for all that energy and more stimulus than can be provided indoors.  But he's not because I live near a main road and near a bend in the road.  So I go for the alternative - constant games and exercise every evening!  Hard work coming up with new games but does help to keep him stimulated.

Offline cj

• Adult Cat
  • My babys Joey, Charlie and baby Katie xxx
  • Slave to: Joey and Charlie and baby Katie x
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 01:48:58 AM »
I was going to suggest a harness aswell.  Better than nothing, but if you can cat proof your garden even better, no harm in asking!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 22:40:15 PM »
 :wow: Love that website Angie. Amazing what can be done.

Hope you can sort something out soon for Miki and Elvis and also before you rip your hair out (or your hubby's)  ;)

I can't see the Housing Association turning you down if you can assure them it will not be unsightly.

Good luck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 18:53:45 PM »
http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm

you should get loads of ideas off the internet....

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 18:48:24 PM »
could you not take them out on a harness? that way you know they are getting fresh air and not going to be in danger- I know its not the same as being free and able to climb trees etc but its something at least. alternatively maybe an outside pen and run could be a good idea if you had the space and money so they can go out in summer etc to play in the pen xx

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 17:37:20 PM »
ooooh now that is an idea! if only there would be someway to build it from our bedroom window! That way they could come and go as they please during the day when we are in! (which is just about every day  :evillaugh:)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 13:30:46 PM »
How about an outside run off one of your windows gives them the best of both worlds and gives Mummy peace of mind and Daddy trips to Toys R Us for adults a.k.a. B & Q :rofl:

We have plans for next year to build an outside run for our inside only mob as Daddy will be home hopefully on a more regular basis to build it!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »
They have a huge cat gymnasium thing that my husband built them. Its full of scratchy posts, hidey holes, rattley balls on string etc. They have lots and lots of cat toys too :) Miki plays with the kids all the time (Elinor runs about the house with the feathery thing on a string as Miki frantically chases her  :rofl:)

cat proofing might not be an option... our house is through a housing association, we dont own it. Any kind of changes made to the property in anyway (eveb fences etc) we have to apply in writing for and then they come out and assess what is needing done and why before they give permission. :(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 11:15:15 AM »
Is there any way you could cat proof your garden? It'a compromise of sorts.

I have indoor outdoor cats too, 24/7 same as Rosella. We actively encourage our cats not to go out the front door and stick to the gardens on our street. (We're in a terrace and our row of gardens literally backs onto another row of gardens, which I know ours frequent too.)

It's a tough one, but you need to decide one way or the other. Letting Miki and Elvis out briefly shows  them what they're missing; even if they didn't seem that interested they'll have been lots of new smells.  ;) I do agree with Rosella, though. If  the road's as busy as you say it is maybe looking into the cat proofing is the best option?

One thing's for sure, as long as your cats are being given extra mental stimulation because  they're not allowed out they're not being treated cruelly. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »
yeah I do :( I just feel a shame for them as I keep getting told its cruel to keep them in etc. Our last rescue cat Anna, she was an indoor cat all of her life. I just wanna make sure I am doing the best for them and giving them a fantastic life, and if he keeps going on about it being cruel to keep them in it makes me feel bad :(

xxxxxxx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:44:14 AM »
worried about the road we live on (its usually very busy and there are alot of young boy racers) and also the neighbourhood dogs. (Most people in this street have the typical "status dogs" to make them look hard, Rottweilers and so on.)

All our cats are allowed outdoor access 24/7 (except baby Groucho atm but he will be too).  I say this so you understand I have every sympathy with allowing cats outdoor access however, given the situation you describe above, I would have very serious reservations about allowing outdoor access I'm afraid  :(

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
My head is bursting :(
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »
Ok... so bit of a dilemma...

Miki-Moo was neutered. All healed now and just had her stitches out. Both her and Elvis are chipped. The urination problem with Miki has stopped completely. She no longer urinates at the front door.

Now... the PDSA vet had suggested (back when the urination problems were occuring) that Miki needed to be an inside/outside cat, (all this was explained in my other thread a few weeks ago about the problem etc).

Miki is one of these cats that Matrix-style run around the house (ie jumping off of the walls, climbing up the door frames etc etc). Elvis prefers to laze around all day looking for any attention he can possibly get.

Origionally Elvis and Miki were going to be indoor cats.. but recently I had thought about the fact that maybe Miki did need to get out and about... only problem is my husband wants them to be house cats. He is worried about the road we live on (its usually very busy and there are alot of young boy racers) and also the neighbourhood dogs. (Most people in this street have the typical "status dogs" to make them look hard, Rottweilers and so on.) He is also apprehensive about them not coming back etc.

My close friend and her partner have just gone through the same situation. They have 2 bengals and her partner wanted them to be outside/inside cats but she was not happy with this. Eventually he talked her into it and she now admits her cats are happier. Her partner always went on about how cats should get to go outside and its cruel to keep them in etc.

Im tired of arguing with my husband about trying them outside. I did let them out the other day for 10 mins or so (with me sitting with them in the garden)....Miki wasnt overly impressed about the whole experience and sat inside the doorway most of the time. Elvis wouldnt venture from the doorstep where I was sitting. Of course hubby is NOT impressed that I did that. *sigh*

:(

Link to CatChat