Author Topic: Hello from sunny Wiltshire  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
Re: Hello from sunny Wiltshire
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 18:11:01 PM »
Hello Yvonne and thanks for the welcome. The vet in question has now left the practice, thank goodness. Lily's op wasn't his only bungle. The awful thing about it was he knew what he had done and didn't tell anyone. He just sent her home. When it all eventually came out one of the partners rang me to apologise. I think they were sweating that I would take legal action. I did discuss this with my brother's girlfriend who is a legal secretary and had decided that if Lily had died then I would have taken action. The vet who did the op cost the practice a lot of money as they had to foot the bill for all of Lily's treatment in the following 6 months. Goodness knows how much it cost them as they had to send her to a place in Bristol for the op to have her kidney removed. Some lovely proffessor did it and called me after the op to assure me that Lily would be perfectly healthy with only one kidney.

Hi lau200 and thanks for the welcome.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 22:59:44 PM »
welcome to the forum :)

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 22:01:08 PM »
Hello Allison and   :welcome:  to Purrs

Love your story,  Cannot believe your Vet was so in competent when spaying Lily.

Look forward to seeing you posting    :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 16:12:40 PM »
Hi Liz. As you might have read in my first post my Tiger was semi-feral. His mum was a feral so my friend who I got him from decided to let me have him at 7 weeks in the hope that her fear wouldn't imprint on him. When he came home he spent most of his time in a little box I'd made up for him in the corner and only came out when my other cat, Simba came into the room. As the years went by he got slightly better in that he trusted me and my son but if I had visitors he stayed out of the house or in my bedroom until they had gone.

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 16:04:17 PM »
Welcome to Purrs it is a great place to be and as others have said it is highly addictive :welcome:

I am the Clan cats Mother - we share our home with an awful lot of cats mainly ferals and the ones nobody wants - they have their own oets our 2 Border collies Sky who is black and white and Sunny who is a red tricolour.

Our ferals adore the dogs but some don't do humans but love the heat,food and big house that Daddy provides and Mummy panders to their every need :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 15:57:11 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Gillian. Are you in Wiltshire?

Thanks for the welcome maryas. I'm sure I will be posting more pics in the future. I'm still trying to read all the stuff on the boards.

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 10:00:38 AM »
 :welcome: to the nut house Allison  :rofl: :hug:

Gorgeous cats and hope to see many more pics - we just love pics on here  :Luv2:

Short or long posts, we don't mind - see you around.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 23:21:10 PM »
Welcome neighbour!  ;)  :welcome:

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 10:47:07 AM »
 :thanks: for the welcome Allshookup.

Hello neighbour  ;) and thanks for the welcome Kirst

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 09:59:52 AM »
Hello and welcome Alison - what a wonderful first post and gorgeous gorgeous furbabes!!!! :Luv2: :Luv2:

I am in Oxfordshire so we are practuically neighbours ;) :evillaugh:

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Annastasia 1994-2009
  • Slave to: Elvis & Miki-MooMoo
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 09:19:57 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :welcome:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 09:10:46 AM »

I know.   :hug:  There's a lot of heartache, but tons of support, as I think most of us know first hand how awful it feels to lose a cat friend (or any other animal friend come to that).

Very eassy to get sidetracked bythe different boards and threads.  :)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 08:27:37 AM »
Sue, thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to find my way round the forum but there's so much interesting stuff to read, I find myself being sucked into reading other peoples heart warming and sometimes sad stories about their kitties. Yesterday I started reading a post by a lady who lost her kitty in much the same way as I lost Lily. Her thoughts and emotions very much mirrored my own and I found myself in tears  :'( The only problem being I was in the office at the time. I had to make a very hasty retreat to the ladies  :-[

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 08:00:02 AM »

A spotty tummy!  Yum!!  :wow: :wow:  :Luv:

There is indeed Allison.  Check out the rescue section.  It's a place on the Board where rescues can post about their work, and where homes can be sought and rescue work organised and co-ordinated.  The main aim of Purrs is to help with rescue work (as well as being a great place to chill out and talk about being mad cat ladies and mad cat men) and Purrs runs a charity Auction annually, and a Purrs Prize Draw each month with the profits raised going to nominated rescues.

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 07:53:30 AM »
Morning all.

Thank you for the welcome Gill, Helen and Sue.

Helen, it's sunny in Wiltshire this morning....but I don't think it's going to last  ;D

Sue, Lily did have beautiful markings. What you can't see in that pic was she had spotted markings on her gorgeous soft tummy.
With having a friend who runs a cat rescue centre it's all too tempting to adopt other kitties but common sense eventually prevails due to me  not being able to afford another kitty right now.

BTW, I wasn't sure where to ask this question but I do as much as I can to help out my friend who runs the rescue centre. Each month I producea list of cats she has ready for adoption and print off 60 copies for her to distribute around the area. She has a website and I was wondering if there is somewhere on this site where I can put the link to her website. 

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 07:14:57 AM »

Hello Allison.  Welcome to Purrs to you, Molly, and Toby.  Thank you so much for sharing the story of your beautiful babies with us.  It's always devastating when we lose one of our beloved companions, but well done on being able to open your heart and your home to other puds in need of your care.  Molly and Toby are gorgeous.  Lily has such striking markings too, bless her paws.  :hug: :hug:

We hope you'll enjoy being a member of Purrs.  Make friends, have fun and explore!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 01:01:08 AM »

:welcome: to Purrs  Alison ;D

Glad you've found us, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.  It really is a very friendly forum with lots of friendly helpful advice, if ever needed, and of course lots of fun.

I do feel it my public duty to warn you though that it can be a teensy bit addictive  :Crazy: You have been warned  :evillaugh:

What a moving introduction  :hug: As you say, you are already amongst friends who share the same crazy cat lady gene! One thing though, not sure I believe that it's suny in Wiltshire  :shify: - if it is I'm jealous  :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 22:55:51 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

I think you will find we all are cat crazy here  ;D

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 20:46:04 PM »
Thank you Jiji, Sam and Teresa for the welcome. I'm sure I will love it here at Purrs. I know from reading the posts that I have that I'm among friends  :hug:

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 20:41:21 PM »
Hello Alison what a wonderful opening post it moved me to tears. Welcome to Purrs will look forward to hearing more.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 20:38:14 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 20:29:45 PM »
Hi and  :welcome:  to Purrs.

A lovely and moving first post, the sadness of their loss is the price we pay for the joy they brought us :hug:

Lily was beautiful and Toby and Molly are  :Luv2:

I am sure you will love it on the forum.  :)

• Honorary Cat
Hello from sunny Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 20:03:11 PM »
Hello everyone.

I found this forum quite by accident but I have been reading as much of the board as I can before I registered and I realised that there are lots of people here as crazy about cats as I am  ;D

My name is Allison and I'm 49. I got my first cat when I was 14 and have been hooked ever since.

When my son was 7 we got Simba from Claverton down rescue centre when he was 12 weeks old. He was a very handsome tabby and white who was my baby and a playmate to my son. Many a night I would go in his room and find Simba asleep on his chest. When Simba was 3 I got friendly with a lady who runs a cat rescue centre near where I live. I ended up adopting a semi feral silver tabby from her and called him Tiger. Simba's nose was a bit put out of joint when this ball of fluff arrived on the scene but after a couple of months they became firm friends.

Unfortunately in April 2002 Simba was run over and killed. My heart was broken  :( and Tiger missed his big brother terribly so in June when my friend at the centre said she had some kittens I thought I would take a look. My son was drawn to a black kitten but a little tabby girl had already set her sights on me and so we ended up taking home a very dinky little girl who I decided to call Lily ( which will explain my forum name for you). Tiger seemed quite pleased with our choice of playmate for him.

In July Tiger started to get ill and after many visits to the vets we discovered he had FIP and was PTS on 25th August 2002. I held him in my arms as he slipped away. He was only just over a year old.  :'(

In October it was time to get Lily spayed so off we went to the vets. When I collected her she was still very groggy but it was as I expected so I wasn't too concerned. By the next day she hadn't picked up and had started vomiting. I took her back to the vets. To cut a long story short it turned out that the vet that had done her op and accidently cut the tube from her bladder to her kidney. My little girl was very sick and I couldn't believe there was a possibility I was going to lose a 3rd cat in just a few months. Lily was sent to Bristol where they removed her kidney, then began the long process of getting her well. I went back and forth with her to the vets for 6 months before she was finally well again.

We had always been very close with her sleeping round my head right from the day I got her but after what she had been through our bond was even stronger and despite everything she had gone through she always trusted me completely.

In November 2002 my friend from the rescue centre said she had a kitty I might be interested in so off I went to have a look. Hiding under her dining room table was a fluffy black and white cat. He was very nervous and despite much coaxing he wouldn't be persuaded to come out from under the table. Neverthless I decided he was the cat for us and home he came. My son thought it was about time he chose a name so our new arrival was christened Toby. Lily was over the moon about her new playmate but Toby was just so nervous. He spent nearly 6 months hiding behind my sofa, only coming out when no one was around. However the bond between him and Lily grew from strength to strength and they became best buddies.

I thought our little family was complete but in August 2003 when I was visiting my friend at the centre I noticed a very cute tabby and white who was there with her three kittens. I swear that cat literally threw herself at me  ;D And yes, you guessed it she ended up coming to live with us. I named her Molly.

A few years very happy years went by until last April I lost my darling Lily in a road accident  :'( :'( It totally devastated me. I always worried about her because of her having only one kidney, I never thought I would lose her the way I did. Even though it's nearly a year since I lost her, the pain is still very raw and I miss her every single day.... and night when  she's not there sleeping round my head and digging her claws into my scalp. I know that the pain will get better but as the anniversary of her death approaches I'm finding it very hard again.

Toby and Molly are of course a great comfort. In fact since Lily has been gone Toby has turned all his attention to me. He already treated me like his girlfriend, now I am definitely his property  :rofl:

Oh dear, this is a bit of an epic for an opening post so I've probably bored you all half to death by now. I promise I don't usually write such long posts but I got a bit carried away once I started.  ;D

Here are my fur babies:
Lily ~ RIP

Toby

Madame Molly

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Link to CatChat