Author Topic: Thinking about Boots (Sorted)  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Thinking about Boots (Sorted)
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 07:03:43 AM »
I'm presuming this is now sorted so moving.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Thinking about Boots
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 21:28:40 PM »
Thanks all, but as I posted in General Cat Chat, Anna has told me that Boots cannot come to a free-feeding home. I'm still learning so much about feline diabetes so all messages have been much appreciated.

Boots will find a suitable home, Anna would have loved to home him with me but she cares more about the welfare of her rescues than the sensitivities of her potential owners (exactly as it should be) and she's determined she will find the right home for Boots.

I have the utmost confidence that someone will take the lovely Boots, so as a last plea for him, here's his page for the last time...
http://www.catchat.org/londoncr/cgibin/prview.cgi?id=2011022002

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 18:14:22 PM »
http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-3449-hypurin-insulin-protaminezinc-10ml.aspx
Insuvet insulin has been discontinued as one other poster has stated, but this is exactly the same insulin packaged for humans. vets can prescribe this under the Cascade. It is far better suited for use with a cat than caninsulin.
www.diabeticcatcare.com

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 22:11:48 PM »
Great news - hope all goes well.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 21:47:36 PM »
this is great news, wishing you the very bestest of luck  :) :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 11:11:03 AM »
Great news ..... (I also hate to think what you've had to promise Hubby  :evillaugh:)

Keep us updated, So excited for you xx

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Thomas, Suki, Sweep, Tatty & Tabs
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 23:06:32 PM »
I just wanted to say that I hope all goes well for your visit with Boots, and I hope that he will join you soon  :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 23:00:30 PM »
I'm not going to ask what you had to promise to do to get your way  ;)  ... but well done and fingers crossed Boots will be with you soon xxxxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 22:21:08 PM »

I think we're on.  :wooooo:

OH is very unhappy about this but I've promised all sorts to get my way  :naughty:. Gulp. I've sent Anna a text and e-mail requesting a visit with Boots, with a view to taking him in for a trial.

Takes deep breath (and realises there's a smell of poo somewhere).

Heyho. I signed up for it, I get to clean it up!  :doh:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 12:57:50 PM »

I see no reason why Boots shouldn't join your family,

I agree !
Sure you will need to keep an eye on things and your life will change abit but we have clients with a multi-cat household.
As Sylvia says, the important thing is making sure Tommy eats before his injection (before/during).

ATM there are a few different insulin but sadly the one that you would use daily is being taken off the market :(

Right ....So nice meal for Hubby tonight (and anything else you have to do  ;) )

Good luck....fingers crossed xxxxx

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 09:27:49 AM »
I've not owned a cat who is diabetic but dealt with clients and their cats while working at my vets.
The needles are very fine and short and tbh even if you stick one in your finger (yep that happens  :-[while disposing of them -you have to cut the needle of the end of used ones ) it isn't like a large needle.
You do need to return the used syringes to your vet for disposal and usually the vets like to monitor them regularly to make sure dose is OK -we had a client whose cat actually lost the diabetes after 2 years of treatment .
The insulin has to be kept in a fridge and should not be shaken !
Probably as the others have said the most important part is getting into the routine needed and once that's established then it will be second nature
any idea of his age ? -he looks quite elderly so probably an age related diabetes as happens in us humans
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:30:11 AM by Tagalong »
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 08:29:30 AM »
that is a reassuring post Sylvia - good luck SheliaRose whatever you decide

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Thomas, Suki, Sweep, Tatty & Tabs
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 00:09:57 AM »
My Tommy has been diabetic in a free feeding house (with 5 other furry residents) on 2 injections per day since about 2004/5.

I have found that it helps to have meals and Tommy's injections at set times, as much as possible, every day.  In addition to this, because my partner and I work full time, I have to make absolutely sure Tommy has eaten enough before I give him his morning injection and leave for work.  On some occasions, this may mean that I have to offer him a second or third bowl for breakfast, if the first ones are not to his liking, and admittedly, this can take some time.  I also tend to run around putting everyone's food bowls in front of them, wherever they are, so that they don't try to steal any of Tommy's.

My vet supplies me with disposable syringes for Tommy's injections.  As I am an insulin dependant diabetic myself, I asked the vets about pens for cats only last year, but they said that these aren't available yet.

Tommy does like to try to sneak away before getting his injection, but he is a very good cat, and I can usually persuade him to sit or lie down after he has finished eating, and it is no problem to give his injection then.

When he was first diagnosed, Tommy initially took about 3-4 months to stabilise on the correct insulin dose for him, and my vet took the decision that Tommy would have to have the correct dose for his lifestyle, rather than imposing a diet on him which there was no way of ensuring he would adhere to.  We seem to have done OK on this so far.

I see no reason why Boots shouldn't join your family, it sounds very like mine, and I think he looks adorable  :Luv2: :Luv2:

If I have been too vague about anything, then please feel free to ask about anything.

Wishing you & Boots the very best of luck with your OH tonight.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 21:59:44 PM »
Thanks, Lindsey, this is very valuable. My 6 residents free feed on dry food: Applaws; Purina One and Go-cat that my Beau craves (but everyone else ignores GoCat so I indulge him, he's 13 and skinny) and have wet food for everyone's breakfast (whatever is on offer).

From what you're saying, Lindsey, I wouldn't be able to monitor his intake so wouldn't get his insulin dose correct. I know it's important for humans to monitor blood sugar so dosage is controlled, is this something you can do with animals too? Or is my free-feeding household likely to be detrimental to Boots's health?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has experience of needles, pen type or syringe, and how to administer single handed insulin doses and advice on free feeding alongside insulin dependent diabetic cats.

In essence I'm swaying towards taking Boots on a trial basis to see how he adapts as a foster. This would mean introducing him as a member of the household, albeit temporary, and seeing if he's healthy under our care. I believe he free feeds at the rescue (there's a house full of cats there who are impossible to feed individually) so maybe he's existing on his ability to self regulate his diet.

If our (partly) FIV, free feeding household is simply unacceptable, I'll step away.

OH is home from New York tonight and in an acquiescent mood. A few more glasses of wine and I might get a positive result here. Wish me luck...this is Boots moment. If OH says No, I'm going to sponsor his insulin anyway because those eyes give me no peace...sigh.

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »
Lacie is diabetic, her injections are done with a syringe that you draw up the insulin from a vial, i've never heard of pre-loaded pens for cats either.
Like Michelle says, don't be frightened by the diabetes but I would also point out that even when stablised its quite a delicate condition, at least thats what I have experienced. What I mean by this is that you need to get the cat to eat the same amount of food everyday so that it is balanced with the insulin, making the cats lifestyle very regimented, we have had to cut Lacie's food down because she is a little overweight but at first, we must have cut it down too much and 3 days into her 'diet' she had the beginnings of a hypo. It doesn't help that I suffer from OCD but I don't think I would trust anyone enough to look after her if I went away. You do have to remember that you or someone responsible will have to be there to inject your cat every 12 hours, which is ok for normal day to day life but makes day trips and going out at night a little awkward! I'm not trying to put you off but for me, my husband and Lacie, it has significantly affected our lifestyle. I would do anything for Lacie because she is like a child to me but I don't know if I could take on a diabetic cat as a new pet.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 18:47:25 PM »
Someone with a diabetic cat would need to confirm, but for humans injections are not all about scary needles: a few long-timers have old fashioned syringes but most have a pre-loaded 'pen' where you dial up the dose, jab and click. Part of the reason for developing this system was to make regular injections acceptable for children.  :)  The needles are teeny-tiny as you only need to get into the fatty tissue right under the skin, not muscles or veins as we are used to with taking blood samples or giving vaccinations.

I don't know any cats that use the pen, its always the needles.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 00:56:56 AM »
I'm listening, keep em coming... thank you!

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 00:23:18 AM »
Someone with a diabetic cat would need to confirm, but for humans injections are not all about scary needles: a few long-timers have old fashioned syringes but most have a pre-loaded 'pen' where you dial up the dose, jab and click. Part of the reason for developing this system was to make regular injections acceptable for children.  :)  The needles are teeny-tiny as you only need to get into the fatty tissue right under the skin, not muscles or veins as we are used to with taking blood samples or giving vaccinations.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 21:49:07 PM »
Agreed. For the most part, once they've decided the dosage that's the most difficult stage.

And if Boots is OK with his injections I don't see it being much of an issue really. He's adorable. :Luv:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 21:28:37 PM »
Updated to say -

Just looked at Boots, Awww he is  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
One more wouldn't make any difference  ;)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 21:27:04 PM »
Don't be frightened by the diabetes. If he is stabilized then its quite easy to keep things on an even keel.

RE: cattery -
Not all catteries take diabetic cats, do your research of local catteries to find which will and if you feel comfortable with them
You can bring him to Me if our cattery isn't too far from you - I have a purrs members cat in with Me at the moment, she made the journey as she didn't want to trust anyone else 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 20:37:46 PM »
Any reputable kennel can cope with a diabetic cat and as long as they have some of their own things like a bed and catnip then it should be no problem

Our diabetic cats one feral and one domestic were both on insulin shots twice a day and we had no issues with them during their time with us both have sadly passed from new illness's but were text book diabetics and were fed normal cat food as they didn't like the diabetic food although some of the other Clan members did!

If you feel he is right for you and you can do injections - vets usually give you guidance on this - we give antibiotic and painkillers to some of our ferals as its easier of both the cat and the vets!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 19:55:43 PM »
Have replied on other thread but could do with someone with a diabetic cat to reply please

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 18:19:05 PM »
I know nothing about diabetes hun, so can't really add any sensible advice.  Hopefully some peeps will be be shortly with experience they can pass on  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
Thinking about Boots (Sorted)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 18:08:06 PM »
http://www.catchat.org/londoncr/cgibin/prview.cgi?id=2011022002

This is the old boy I'm contemplating. Awwww, poor old Boots.

Now, I haven't contacted Anna yet as I'm really full (6 personality full residents inc. 1 FIV adopted stray), but Boots's soulful eyes have haunted me all week.

I've never had a diabetic cat, although I would be cool with this, my cat sitter would not want to administer injections when we're away  (she's an absolute star and very longsuffering with my cat habit, but this would be a step too far, I think).

Questions are:
1. How tricky is diabetes
2. Would I be able to kennel Boots for the 4 weeks each year we are out of the country with his needs?
3. If anyone reading this can take Boots, don't wait for me, he needs someone now.

Thank you for reading.

Sheila

Link to CatChat