Author Topic: Renting with cats  (Read 17334 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Renting with cats
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 18:51:25 PM »
Ah good, we are completely in agreement  :sneaky:

All that legalese has left me quite weak, luckily my first aid cupboard is stocked with New Zealand Sauv Blanc (Asda roll back).  :shy:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 18:31:48 PM »
Ah good, we are completely in agreement  :sneaky:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 18:29:40 PM »
With you now! You were referring to the leasehold on say, a block, where no-one is allowed pets? Being that AST are the standard for most tenants? Not being difficult, makiing sure I have the right end of the stick :shy:

:hug: I have never found you difficult, if I ever did it would be a pot-kettle-black scenario.  :-[ Yes, you have it spot on. It is often forgotten that, although leaseholders think of and refer to themselves as home-owners, in fact we are renting the space our flats occupy - simply on a long lease not a short lease. The leaseholder only has the right to sub-let the flat with regard to the covenants within, and that may well include a 'no pets' clause. All you need is one resident to be allergic/ phobic/ bloody minded and the potential is there for freeholder to tell leaseholder to remove the offending animal ... yet the tenant will still be bound by the AST to pay rent!  :doh: As you will know, one clause in an AST being illegal/ unenforceable/ unfair does not make the entire contract invalid.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 18:02:24 PM »
With you now! You were referring to the leasehold on say, a block, where no-one is allowed pets? Being that AST are the standard for most tenants? Not being difficult, makiing sure I have the right end of the stick :shy:

I have to say, I agree with FF about a lot of agents being lazy. The one I worked in wasn't and we did as much go-betweening as was needed, even on the most difficult of deals to tie up and I was the one that amended the contracts, which in all honesty is extremely simple and there weren't many I didn't make some sort of change to but again, agents can be notoriously lazy about these things.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 17:46:42 PM »
There is a standard "no pets" clause but if pets are agreed you just ensure they take this out and replace it with the pets allowed clause which details exactly what and how many of them is allowed.

It's very easy to say bypass the agent but unless it's the landlord showing the property (very rare) then the agent will not pass on landlords details or forward on emails sent via them. The landlord is after all paying them a fee for letting their property and the agent isn't about to take themselves out of that fee earning loop!

I referred to the LONG LEASE not the assured shorthold tenancy agreement (AST). Getting a 'no pets' clause/ covenant removed means varying the long lease - you need the agreement of the leaseholder, freeholder, the mortgage company and to pay a solicitor. Alternatively a leaseholder can apply to a Leasehold Valuation Tribunal. Note that I have not mentioned tenants once, they have few rights as far as the covenants in the long lease are concerned. Sorry but I am 100% confident on this issue and it's a pitfall many landlords/ tenants/ letting agents are completely unaware of: they should be because a long lease will always trump an AST.

The landlord and a prospective tenant cannot legally cut out the middle man - the landlord would still be subject to the terms and conditions in any contract between himself and the letting agents. Once the property is let the letting agent has a legal obligation to supply the contact details of the landlord providing the tenant asks in writing (Landlord-Tenant Act 1985 section 11). As you rightly say many agents are only being paid for finding the tenant not managing the property afterwards; if they know they can easily let a property they often do as little work as possible - charging a small fortune for printing off their standard AST. Go-betweening and amending clauses mean extra work for no extra pay so it's necessary to make it difficult for them to claim the landlord simply said no.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 17:50:48 PM by Fire Fox »
Lulu's Catbook

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 17:27:16 PM »
Forgot to say rent is £750 a month, may get it lower if asking about it, We have a garage and no probs parking. Owners have retired to spain, and have no intention of selling up, just keeping it as a retirement fund.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 17:20:34 PM »
The 'no pets' clause is the default setting in most rental contracts so unless the landlord has actually specified s/he won't allow pets, there's always hope. Bribery (in the form of a larger deposit and/or agreeing to pay for the carpets to be professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy) is always worth trying.

Some landlords are willing to accept cats but not dogs, so it's worth asking them to be specifiic about the sort of pets they won't allow.

If you're going through a letting agent, it's worth mentioning to them that you have pets as they will try and find a suitable property for you. Letting agents are generally far better than estate agents, because they usually manage the property for the landlord and will be your contact with him/her, so it's in their interest to get the right tenants. (Our agent was great, and I even got them to change our contract to specify two cats instead of one!)

Sorry to pick but this isn't strictly true, statistically in this country, very few landlords choose to have their property managed, regardless of it being an estate or letting agent, estate agents do also offer a management service, it's just British landlords use agents in general for a tenant find service only and prefer to manage themselves.

I always keep the cats issue to myself when I've rented through an agency. I get the agent to like me, then they are a lot more likely to work on the landlord when they realise they have a good tenant.

Offering a larger deposit is usually the way round it. offering professional carpet cleaning is good too lathough the standard "pets allowed" clause generally states something to that effect anyway.

It can be really difficult, I remember our negotiators working very hard for pets to be allowed, trying every trick in the book and the landlord just would not give way at all. In fact, I've been through it myself when I was a property manager!

I'm not going to lie, it can be very very difficult, I've just got really lucky I think with rentals as I've never had a problem. Keep trying the free ads too, you just have to explore every avenue available to you. Oh and make sure to be completely happy to have them contact your previous landlord you had pets with and mention it on viewings.
This issue crops up on MSE (MoneySavingExpert) forums regularly; it seems quite a few pet owners have been able to come to an arrangement with a landlord by offering a larger deposit plus good references. Letting through the same agency or same landlord is also worth exploring, as they should know that you are reliable and respectful tenants.

Do bear in mind that many long leases (contract between owner of a flat and owner of the block) specify no pets OR no pets without written permission (usually £££). Some landlords are unaware or ignore such clauses but they CAN be enforced. Having said that, I have only ever heard of that happening with pet that are allowed into shared areas such as corridors or gardens or are 'noisy' (some older flats have very poor sound insulation).

As a general point I find it is most productive to bypass letting agents where they unhelpful - they won't always pass messages on when there is nothing in it or them bar extra work. IMO the best way of doing this is by e-mail - addressed to the landlord but sent to the agent. If you ask open question (not a yes or no answer) then you have the best chance of a genuine answer. Otherwise you could consider asking each agency which properties they have that are the size you require and allow cats, rather than asking to view one you like the look of.

There is a standard "no pets" clause but if pets are agreed you just ensure they take this out and replace it with the pets allowed clause which details exactly what and how many of them is allowed.

It's very easy to say bypass the agent but unless it's the landlord showing the property (very rare) then the agent will not pass on landlords details or forward on emails sent via them. The landlord is after all paying them a fee for letting their property and the agent isn't about to take themselves out of that fee earning loop!

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 17:20:20 PM »
Coincidence, we live in Waterlooville.
2 bed detached bungalow, its not great inside, but its done us for the last 9 months. Don't get me wrong its not squalid, cats love the garden, but its a bit much for us to do, we aren't gardeners.

Nicky

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 17:11:46 PM »
This issue crops up on MSE (MoneySavingExpert) forums regularly; it seems quite a few pet owners have been able to come to an arrangement with a landlord by offering a larger deposit plus good references. Letting through the same agency or same landlord is also worth exploring, as they should know that you are reliable and respectful tenants.

Do bear in mind that many long leases (contract between owner of a flat and owner of the block) specify no pets OR no pets without written permission (usually £££). Some landlords are unaware or ignore such clauses but they CAN be enforced. Having said that, I have only ever heard of that happening with pet that are allowed into shared areas such as corridors or gardens or are 'noisy' (some older flats have very poor sound insulation).

As a general point I find it is most productive to bypass letting agents where they unhelpful - they won't always pass messages on when there is nothing in it or them bar extra work. IMO the best way of doing this is by e-mail - addressed to the landlord but sent to the agent. If you ask open question (not a yes or no answer) then you have the best chance of a genuine answer. Otherwise you could consider asking each agency which properties they have that are the size you require and allow cats, rather than asking to view one you like the look of.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 17:09:22 PM »
Nicky - we live in Portsmouth (well Southsea) at the moment. Where do you live?

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 16:50:52 PM »
We were lucky to find somewhere quickly, and as the owners had a cat previously they didn't mind.

We had our visit from the agents today to check the house is ok, (we will be moving in next couple of months). He said we had to get the carpets proffessionally cleaned and de infested, not that they are!!

He said they will hold back £100 for 3 months to make sure no fleas appear.

Good luck, come and live in Portsmouth, we will be out by mid may at the latest.  :)

Nicky

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 16:04:03 PM »
Its mostly lettings agencies we are having trouble with at the moment. My guess is that unless a landlord specifically says 'I don't mind tenants with cats' initially, they just put them down as no pets, and this is the information they are passing to us, not necessarily the feelings of the landlord if they were to know that we are both fairly well paid working professionals with rental history as well as being cat owners. The part I'm not sure on is how to actually get the landlords opinion directly.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 14:52:04 PM »
The 'no pets' clause is the default setting in most rental contracts so unless the landlord has actually specified s/he won't allow pets, there's always hope. Bribery (in the form of a larger deposit and/or agreeing to pay for the carpets to be professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy) is always worth trying.

Some landlords are willing to accept cats but not dogs, so it's worth asking them to be specifiic about the sort of pets they won't allow.

If you're going through a letting agent, it's worth mentioning to them that you have pets as they will try and find a suitable property for you. Letting agents are generally far better than estate agents, because they usually manage the property for the landlord and will be your contact with him/her, so it's in their interest to get the right tenants. (Our agent was great, and I even got them to change our contract to specify two cats instead of one!)
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 14:05:54 PM »
Most landlord's if they are approached will normally ask for a higher deposit but you could always ask the estate agent if they could phone the landlord so you are able to speak to them to see if they are willing to wave the no pets rule.  My mum has just rented a place and was told by the estate agent strictly no pets but when they signed if they decided to get pets they would have to pay a £500 bond.  So what the estate agents say is not always technically correct.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
Renting with cats
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 13:41:28 PM »
So I'm back to the joy of trawling through rental listings, finding houses we like and estate agents turning round and saying 'strictly no pets' to me. They have all taken my details and said they will get back to me if anything comes up but then we hear nothing from them again. We started looking back in December, but now that all other options seem to have fallen through, we are relying on this now.

Does anyone have any tips as to how they got their rented property with their cats? Would we be better off going for viewings etc before we mention the cats? Would we be better not mentioning to estate agents and trying to discuss directly with the LL? I thought it would be better to be upfront but maybe that isn't the case. I've been keeping my eye on gumtree but there's hardly anything on there these days so I've all but given up finding somewhere privately rented!

This is the first time I have had to do this as I didn't have the cats when I moved into my last place, we just asked the landlord if we could get cats from the local rescue and he allowed it after some discussion.

Link to CatChat