Author Topic: Renting with cats  (Read 17335 times)

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
Re: Renting with cats
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2011, 12:37:19 PM »
I don't think she would let you view if she wasn't serious so it sounds very good  ;)
Good luck and I hope the house is lovely too. Just goes to show there are some fair people around and it does no harm to ask.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2011, 08:49:05 AM »
Thanks :) The house is a 2 bed in a nice quiet cul de sac, with a conservatory and a garden that from the pictures looks like it has been kept very well with nice flower beds. Will be lovely to have my own garden, the best I ever got at my old maisonette was a planter out the front.

The cats are very used to going out now that they have been living with me at my parents for 9 months, they fly through the catflap all through the day (though it is locked at night) so I'm hoping that I may be able to negotiate fitting one even if it means buying a new door or something. They were mostly indoor only at the maisonette as there was no back door to put a flap in so they only went out when I was home and it was light and not raining!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2011, 21:25:58 PM »
Loads of luck  :hug: :hug:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2011, 21:02:26 PM »
Good luck, on tuesday. I was very impatient before I got OH to view the house that I love. Clock watching a lot. Sure the cats will love a new home to explore. What's the garden like? Do they go out?

Have put an offer in for the house that I loved as we'd missed out on OH favourite. Waiting for response will find out tomorrow morning hopefully.

Nicky

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 20:56:38 PM »
Viewing booked for 7.30 next tuesday evening, good thing I have lots of plans for the rest of the week/weekend or I'd be so impatient!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2011, 08:12:14 AM »
Great news, hope you love it!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2011, 22:48:26 PM »
Sounds promising, hope you like the house and that it all goes to plan  ;D

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2011, 19:41:06 PM »
Jezebel - I was all jittery even without the furballs, but I think it went ok (although Dan says I talk too much when I'm nervous!).

The girls were the perfect example of cats, chilli sat on the back of the armchair and groomed herself and amber rubbed round the lady's legs and she even patted her. I don't think she'd ever been around cats before so she was asking if they scratch things and whether they are litter trained.

She's said we can go and view the house next week and that she'd give us a call so hopefully thats the hardest part over. We've driven round the cul de sac and its a really nice area and seen photos of the house itself, which looks pretty good.

Thanks for all your good luck vibes, I was really nervous all day!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2011, 18:00:48 PM »
good luck

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2011, 17:59:39 PM »
Good luck Bryony, let us know how it went.

Our letting agent comes round to inspect the property every three months or so, and they came round last week. I'd meticulously tidied and cleaned (as you do), but Drum had had a wander in the garden earlier and had eaten some grass. I swear, as soon as the doorbell rang I heard the sound of a cat coughing up a furball! I never found anything but I answered the door all jittery. Not good.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2011, 14:41:26 PM »
Good luck tonight. Hope the cats behave for you.

I've got yet another house viewing this afternoon, 2nd today. missed out on house we wanted. Back to square one.

Nicky

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »
 :wish: Best of luck  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »
Oooh, good luck and fingers crossed! :hug:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2011, 10:23:43 AM »
Very nervous about tonight! The lady is coming at 6.30pm. Work are letting me go home a bit early so when we get back, OH will be playing da mouse with the cats to tire them out and I will be running round the house with the sticky roller and the vacuum removing any obvious cat hair!!

Wish me luck :)

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 20:42:25 PM »
It was my suggestion to meet the cats, she did say that was the only thing she was a bit hesitant about and I figured that was the best way for her to see that they wouldn't damage the place. I guess if you've never been around cats, its hard to know.

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 18:20:38 PM »
That sounds good, I was all for having someone come to look at our flat to see the cats hadn't 'molested' it.

Hope it works out for you.

Nicky

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 17:13:20 PM »
:crossed:

Sounds a bit OTT her coming to visit but if it works out for you then I guess it's worth it. Do you know what her circumstances are ie why the house is being rented?

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 16:59:18 PM »
I don't have a current landlord unfortunately, we are both living back at home for now until we find a rental place. I moved out of my old rented place in June (had been there 3 years, most of which with the cats) and will be contacting the landlord to see if I can get a reference which should help, but I only have his postal address I think.

I called the lady this afternoon and it seems that she is in need of some flexible new tenants as the people currently in the house are friends of hers who are renting it temporarily which their own house is redecorated and she asked what our current situation is as she estimates that the house will be available 1st April but it depends on the building work at the current tenants own house. Given that we live at home at the moment we can afford to be very flexible so hopefully this will work in our favour.

She is a little cautious about the cats but she is coming to have a meeting with us and the cats at my parents on Tuesday night. My parents house is a pretty good example of an unmolested house with 3 cats living in it (my 2 and her boy) so hopefully that will help. Will have to make sure that the girls are on their best behaviour!

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 15:29:37 PM »
Best of luck. It does sound promising doesn't it?

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 14:39:10 PM »
fingers crossed x

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 14:20:15 PM »
that sounds promising! fingers crossed for you x

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 13:50:58 PM »
That's great news Bryony - fingers crossed it works out.

It might help if you can provide a reference from your current landlord - just to say that, although you have cats, you haven't ruined his property!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 13:13:16 PM »
Oooh, sounds promising  ;D I think you asking upfront shows you are decent 'law abiding' people as there's not really anything to stop people moving in without mentioning they have pets so the fact that you asked would put you high on my list if I was a landlord.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
Great news! Good luck!!

Fingers crossed :D
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 12:46:21 PM »
Good explaination of MB, Firefox. I've been researching for ages but haven't quie plucked up the courage to have my first go yet, and trying to decide which one to do first!

Had a little progress with the flat hunting, replied to an ad on Gumtree for a house that did specify no pets, but I wrote them a nice email to ask anyway. Got a reply from the landlord to say we would prefer not but will keep you in mind and then one about 1/2 hour later from his wife saying they have discussed it and previous email was a bit hasty, asked me to call to discuss which I will be doing this afternoon. Wish me luck!

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 01:04:55 AM »
Thanks FF.

My maths isn't brilliant but I like the logic in matched betting!

MBing simple when it is explained, I was all :doh: This link can help you with the maths, and you can double check things on MSE if you aren't sure. They are sometimes a little short with those who don't bother to research first, but they are nice with nervous beginners. Most people do make the odd mistake, tho often it's experienced MBers who get blase not newbies.
http://www.mbassist.co.uk/
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2011, 17:04:51 PM »
Because I bought my place when I left my mum's I never had to worry about rented accom, however a couple of years ago we had extensive renovations done and decided rather than to put the girls in a cattery, we would rent a flat. We had a real issue 1) because it was only 3/4 months and 2) because of the cats, We actully advertised on gumtree and although got lots of we will be flying into the county to see you and you can only see the outside of the house"" we found a flat owned by a cat lover who was more than happy for us to move in with the girls. It was a real godsend during that period. We were very lucky and I do recall looking for a place being a nightmare!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2011, 14:19:53 PM »
Thanks FF.

My maths isn't brilliant but I like the logic in matched betting!

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2011, 12:29:36 PM »
What's matched betting?

A system to take advantage of the free bets that bookies offer to suck you in to gambling. There is no risk providing you follow the system to the letter, and check your maths is spot on. Basically you place two different bets - one saying Leeds Utd will beat Man City, a second saying Leeds Utd will NOT beat Man City. Note my wording: the second bet covers the possibility that there would be a draw. One bet is your own money the other is free: one or other bet will win so you cannot lose.

http://www.free-easy-money.com/bettingtutorial.php
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2011, 10:47:07 AM »
What's matched betting?

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 19:07:08 PM »
FF, sadly not an option if we want to keep our jobs, they are both good jobs with excellant propects so not something to give up lightly in this economy. My friend just bought a 3 bedder not far from where I live for £160 so its no-where near as bad here as in/newr London, but that doesn't change the fact that no-one would give me a mortgage anyway :(

I'm on MSE quite a bit and have been looking into the matched betting stuff. Just as I was about to start up, I joined Betfair and then had all sorts of trouble as it turned out that my lovely ex pinched my debit card and tried to set up a phoney account, they realised and wouldn't let any payments come from my card, but I'm not not able to use the card to deposit on my own account which has left me a little stuck until April when my new card will come through (hopefully with a new long number on). Do you do matched betting?

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 17:23:05 PM »
Who can afford a mortgage at the moment anyway? Unless you've got at least a 30% deposit!

We're pretty much doomed to staying in rented accommodation for ever now, since I'm technically "too old" (at 48!) to take out a 25-year mortgage (even if we did have the money for the deposit).

Relocate north! A relative has a one bed flat next to a railway line in London (£250K), whereas I have a two bedder in West Yorkshire (£60K).  :-: That isn't even taking into consideration the differential in council tax, Oyster card v. bus pass .... If you want inspiration on how to save up, read the 'Live on £6K for a year' threads on MSE - for an entire family after rent and council tax are paid. If you need extra income try matched betting (NOT gambling).
Lulu's Catbook

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 15:14:16 PM »
There may be flexibility in the rent, I don't know  though.

A colleague of mine who is in the same buying situation as us is due to move in april/may. She has/had a cat in rented down Prince Albert Road in Fratton. Think it may be privately rented, I will ask her next week when I'm back at work.

We couldn't get a mortgage together, some reds on the credit report! Luckily OH has got one in his name, and we are going to see a house tomorrow, I've seen it twice and love it so fingers crossed. At the lower end of budget there is a bungalow down the road from the house. Both fixer uppers.

Nicky

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 11:21:06 AM »
We're lucky I suppose in that I'm 26 and OH is 25 and we both have good f/t stable jobs, we could happily afford to pay a mortgage (on a cheapish fixer upper house) and my Dad wants to help us however he can with finding a place as his parents did it for him and my mum when they were younger (he offered to buy my grandmothers house by remortgaging his house and rent it to us, but this fell through due to lots of red tape and my Uncle being unco-operative)

Unfortunately even if the sums add up, I don't think anyone would lend to me at a sensible rate at the moment. Sometimes I curse myself for how badly I handled money as a student as I wouldn't be in this position if I hadn't messed up, but I guess that's the way you learn.

The other thing in the back of my mind is that comparatively OH and I have not been together that long and although we basically live together and have talked about getting married and kids etc, its more of a risk to buy somewhere together than to rent.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 10:24:32 AM »
Who can afford a mortgage at the moment anyway? Unless you've got at least a 30% deposit!

We're pretty much doomed to staying in rented accommodation for ever now, since I'm technically "too old" (at 48!) to take out a 25-year mortgage (even if we did have the money for the deposit).

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 09:18:26 AM »
When we wanted to move however the recession had hit good and proper and rentals had gone insane around here - the letting agencies had all moved to a "we don't allow pets, we're not even going to make a phonecall to a landlord to ask for you until you've paid about £500 in holding deposits and application fees, if you don't like it, tough cos there'll be another 5 people along in a minute wanting any house you have your eye on."

This is exactly the problem we're having at the moment. The LA's just can't be bothered with us because they don't have to - other people without complications are queuing at the door for the places and they are just flat out saying none of our properties will allow pets, sorry but that's the way it is.

I do some web work for an estate agency who also handle and manage rental properties and they said its gone crazy and there are too many tenants and not enough properties.

Nicky - your bungalow sounds good to me (but then I'm a fan of gardens and gardening and didn't have one for 3 years in my last place). Unfortunately our max rent is £700 pcm so its just out of our range  :'(.

If I thought I stood a chance of getting a mortgage I would be doing the same as you - but just before I got my current job (2 1/2 years ago) I was out of work for several months, tried to get by doing some website work for small businesses but at the end of the day didn't have enough money to pay the bills and fell behind on some payments. Whilst everything is perfectly ok now, that blip is on my credit record and will remain so for the next 2 1/2 years which will jeopardise my chances of a mortgage until then.

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 08:10:19 AM »
I found it was becoming increasingly hard to find rented places that would allow me to have a cat - and it WAS the letting agents causing the problems, not the individual landlords. When we were looking a few years ago I specifically told the LA "look we've got a somewhat elderly three legged moggie and I don't want to be shown places to view, fall in love with one and then be told that she's not a possibility" - basically asked them to only flag up places where cat-negotiations were likely to be open, and it was fine - viewed the house, quick phonecall from LA to LL saying "look this is a decent couple - but they want permission to keep a cat" - job done and place signed for within an hour.

When we wanted to move however the recession had hit good and proper and rentals had gone insane around here - the letting agencies had all moved to a "we don't allow pets, we're not even going to make a phonecall to a landlord to ask for you until you've paid about £500 in holding deposits and application fees, if you don't like it, tough cos there'll be another 5 people along in a minute wanting any house you have your eye on." We ended up ransacking the bank of mum and dad to buy a place - just so we could get out of the bad DIY hellhole we were in and still keep the tripod (very expensive cat that required a 2 bed semi to be bought for her bed). Might just be this area but we were going to get zero joy out of the dominant lettings agency around here - if we'd hung fire we would probably have got somewhere through the lettings agency we were already renting with (they were desperate to keep us as proven good tenants), but we were right on the edge of their operating area and they didn't get many properties through at all.

Have had to pay increased deposits (although the time my mum negotiated a 25% reduction in the pet-damage additional deposit on the basis she had 25% less claws than the average cat), or had carpet cleaning clauses in most houses I've rented over the years.

Some people reckon they've had more luck going through places like the newspaper small ads since letting agencies appear to be riding high and it's brought their worst wide boy tendencies to the fore at the moment - I think the locally mooted figures are 6 tenants chasing every rented property around here.

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 01:03:42 AM »
When I said get the estate agents to phone the landlord I meant with the person there so that way they could also speak to the landlord as well.

My mum was lucky as the cottage she got belonged to the owner of the estate agent/letting agent company and little did my mum know that I actually know the person personally which she only found out when her landlord turned up to explain how they get the bins to the front of the house for collection and I was there.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 20:06:32 PM »
The 'no pets' clause is the default setting in most rental contracts so unless the landlord has actually specified s/he won't allow pets, there's always hope. Bribery (in the form of a larger deposit and/or agreeing to pay for the carpets to be professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy) is always worth trying.

Some landlords are willing to accept cats but not dogs, so it's worth asking them to be specifiic about the sort of pets they won't allow.

I have found this to be the case also, I've never had to compromise on the area / type of house I rented. I found somewhere we liked and then asked them to check with the landlord whether a cat was allowed (just had Tiggy at the time).

If you're having trouble getting past the lettings agent ie they are not considering you for properties as no specific 'pets allowed' ones have come up then I'd be inclined to arrange a few viewings and when they see credit-worthy professionals are ready to move in they will want to close the deal and so will contact the landlord to ask about your two fully house trained cats  ;)

:luck:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 20:02:35 PM »
My tenants have two cats. But then, mine is a freehold property.

Link to CatChat