Author Topic: How to administer & how much slippery elm?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
Re: How to administer & how much slippery elm?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 23:22:16 PM »
Thanx Liz :hug:

Mark I used to give slippery elm bark to my old boy as Liz has said.  I prefered to make up the syrup recipe.  I would break open 3 capsules into about half a cup of water, bring it to the boil and let it thicken into a syrup.  I would then keep it in the fridge so I always had some to hand when and if needed.  I would either syringe one to two mls into his mouth or mix it with some fishy food like sardine.
If that helps any.  All the best with your kitty xxx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 13:20:22 PM »
Fingers crossed for him - I have some, I asked my vet about it and she gave me some of the powder for free, haven't used it for a while though. I think I just used a pinch in their food.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 10:31:30 AM »
Don't know if this is coincidence but within 10 minutes of having the slippery elm, he was giving me his starving cat routine - walking on the keyboard, load purring, licking hands etc  ;D - I gave him some food (salmon sheba in jelly) and he was doing his old trick of head in the bowl before the food went in  ;D ;D ;D ;D - I really hope it is the slippery elm doing its magic  :Luv:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 10:18:31 AM »
Thanks Liz,

I looked on Tanya's CRF site and it said a capsule a day - I mixed up about 1/3rd ofa capsule in a small amount of milk and he happily lapped it up - even the little clumps that dodn't melt. I was worried as it said slippery elm has a bitter taste and some cats won't eat it - he obviously likes it so fingers crossed it will help with his nausea etc  :Luv:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 08:29:24 AM »
Mark try pm'ing Elaine she is good with this as her beloved Winston had CRF and she is a published writer on the subject and has a lot of experience with this condition and looking at Winston you would never have known and he stayed till he was 21 with Elaines wonderful care
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 22:51:33 PM »
Just bumping up as I want to start him on it ASAP - Is Helen on Holiday now? - I guess she is and looking forward to her new kittens  :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
How to administer & how much slippery elm?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 19:20:57 PM »
I think Helen recommended it so I bought some capsules today. I bought own brand as the other ones had cloves & something else added. I just wondered how much of the capsule to give and is it tasteless so I can mix in food?

I also bought fish oil capsules for the kits as I read on here they are better than liver oil  ;D

Also bought myself some bifidum whatamacallits for that "bloated feeling"  :evillaugh:

Holland and Barrett have a buy 3 items and get cheapest free on everything in the shop  ;D

Link to CatChat