Author Topic: stray cat spraying in my house... help!  (Read 4360 times)

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
Re: stray cat spraying in my house... help!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 13:02:57 PM »
i borrow a trap from cats protection to catch my ferals and strays- they do ask for a desposit but it is simple to use and i have caught several, had them neutered and then either released them or found them a home. it stopped our Clark Man Cat from spraying and now, he is the perfect cat :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 02:50:02 AM »
No the lemon wont work but I think the rx66 has good recomendations.

If you have a good CP Branch they may help with the catching of him cos he will change after being neutered.

Good luck  :hug: :hug:

Offline lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Ziggy (9 yrs old)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 16:32:54 PM »
lizfraser

A nice happy ending!  Nice to hear.  Urine off... I will try that, as a few people have said its good. (or RX66 )  :thanks:

Anyone have any thoughts on the spraying lemon around your home as cats hate citrus smells?? :-:

Lynne
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 17:13:05 PM by lynne »

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 14:47:23 PM »
Had the same problem a few years ago.  Took about 18 months to catch stray (in a very thick blanket and wearing gardening gloves) but Cat's Protection paid for neutering (cat did wall of death around vets and took 2 nurses and the vet to recatch him!).  Spraying stopped and Urine Off spray got rid of odour.  We re-released him in garden and have now officially adopted him.  Affection still very much on his terms and he is very jumpy at loud noises or quick movements, but becomes totally soppy if you put catnip down, rolling around purring.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 14:45:05 PM »
Ive had a spring clean today, to try to get rid of the smells he has "left"!  Anyone has suggestions what is best to use to get rid of the smell,

Hi Lynne

With regards the smell side of things I can highly recommend RX66 - an enzymatic cleaner which deals with urine, poo and vomit! You spray a diluted solution onto the area and 'clean' it before spraying full strength solution, covering in plastic and leaving for around 3 hours. It's top stuff and sorted out two accidents one of my cats had.

http://www.livingiseasy.co.uk/products/cat5/cat763/cat766/XERIA_RX66HS_BIO_ENZYMATIC_STAINING,_FOULING_AND_FOUL_ODOUR_DIGESTER_SPRAY_PLUS_HIGH_PERFORMANCE_AIRX_ODOUR_ELIMINATION_TECHNOLOGY._NATURES_MIRACLE._Seeks_out_and_eliminates__surface_and_sub_surface_fouling,_foul_odours_and_stains._500ml/index.html

Offline lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Ziggy (9 yrs old)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 14:41:48 PM »
Hi
thanks for all the suggestions.

He is a BIG tom cat, definately a stray, Ive been feeding him for 2 years.  We have tried to catch him, locking cat flap so he could get in but not out, this was un- succesful as he broke the cat flap trying to get out, took it clean off!!  we just cant get near enough to catch him either.

I think if he continues to spary in home then I will have to ring someone to ask if they can catch him for neuting.  Im happy to feed him and give him shelter, I'll try the cap nip toy idea too!

Ive had a spring clean today, to try to get rid of the smells he has "left"!  Anyone has suggestions what is best to use to get rid of the smell,

Thanks again!

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 13:14:53 PM »
see if you can borrow a trap from a local rescue - they may even help with the vets bill

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »
Can you set the catflap to 'in only' for a while so that he can get in but can't get out again before you can catch him?  Even if that means you then shut him into a separate room for a while before re-opening the flap so your current kitty can continue life as normal, with stray boy shut in one room until you can get him booked in (or chance it and see if you can book him in).  Is he definitely a stray rather than belonging to a local (irresponsible?!) owner? 

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 12:45:04 PM »
For the spraying, I really think only neutering would work.  I've been lucky and never had to deal with spray so don't know how to clean it upo I'm afraid.

Is stray cat toy orientated?  I only ask as I had a stray un-neutered tom hanging around last year (well for a few years). He wouldn't let us near him at all and wouldn't come into the house for catching.  One day he discovered a catnip mouse and after that....well, it was easy to get him inside and even easier to get him in the carrier as after a bit of play he ran in after the mouse. :D  Got his bits chopped off, eye treated and now you would never know that he was untouchable - turned into a cuddlebum overnight!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:44:27 AM »
unfortunately if he can't be neutered I'm not sure how you can stop him spraying, have you tried asking a local charity to borrow a trap?  as for removal I'm lucky enough to never have had to try but believe urine off has a good reputation

Offline lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Ziggy (9 yrs old)
stray cat spraying in my house... help!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 11:27:25 AM »
Hi
I have been feeding a stray for over 2 years, he still won't let me touch him or get close, but he comes to be fed several times a day, in the conseratory.

He comes in home via the cat flap at night and sleeps inside, when it is cold.  He has now started spraying on the furniature and has also started to spray in the the conseratory .

I dont want to bar him from coming in as he shelters when its bad weather, also my cat uses the cat flap and hates it being locked.

1.  Any ideas how to discourage him from spraying
2   ideas to get rid of the smells (ive tried so many things).

Someone has suggested spraying around with lemon juice.  Any idea if this would work ????

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

(I cant get him neutered as I cant catch him, Ive tried!)

Lynne
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 11:34:39 AM by lynne »

Link to CatChat