Author Topic: Authorities using antifreeze on roads  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Authorities using antifreeze on roads
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 07:33:11 AM »
All these things have a knock-on as we now know. I think salt causes more problems than sore pads. Excess salt is lethal to birds. I'm sure some must get into the water table as well. Not to mention damage to cars etc.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 20:27:50 PM »
Every year I get older and crabbier this country's response to seasonal weather verges on mass hysteria. Surely it isn't good for the environment to pour chemicals all over our roads? I can't believe felines are the only species at risk.  :( Many countries cope with harsh weather conditions on an annual basis, others survive El Nino years; God help Britain if we are heading into another ice age/ hardcore global warning.

And breathe.  ;) Dogs can really suffer with the grit/ salt getting into their pads, do cats get sore paws too? I suppose foxes etc. are at risk too?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 15:37:47 PM »
The stuff the put in windscreen de-icer is the same as the stuff in antifreeze. I'm just wondering about pets getting it on their paws & coat and grooming  :scared:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 12:05:42 PM »
On the news earlier from Heathrow they were talking about a substance they use on the runways, kind of like the de-icer stuff you use on your windscreen, just an industrial strength version - I wonder if its something like that?

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Authorities using antifreeze on roads
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 11:56:01 AM »
I caught part of a news report on the radio yesterday and someone was saying that they have 1/2 billion litres of antifreeze in reserve to use on the roads. Hopefully they will only use it on motorways - but worrying if they start using it on smaller roads and pavements if the salt runs out. I have never heard of antifreeze being used instead of salt.

Just googled and hopefully is is just a salt-based one like this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11799664

Worrying otherwise.

Link to CatChat