Author Topic: sudden death  (Read 3781 times)

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Annastasia 1994-2009
  • Slave to: Elvis & Miki-MooMoo
Re: sudden death
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 17:36:13 PM »
 :hug: :hug: sorry for your loss  :(

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 16:47:02 PM »
 :welcome:

Sorry to read about the loss Odi, he looks a right handsome chap  :hug:

Its a shame you found us through sad circumstances but that was how I found all these wonder people as well after the sudden loss of my big handsome boy Bob (vet not sure what happened to him either unless autopsy was to be done, I refused)

As others have said the happy times you shared last forever in your heart and they help get you through this pain.

Take care  :hug: :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline JUDROP1948

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Odi RIP and Sooty and `new boy` Frodo
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »
 :thanks: Thanks Catgirl,
 no he was actually found in the garden, and anyway, we have log burners, he just looked like he was lying in front of the fire, not curled up but stretched out and comfy looking, no marks or trauma visible at all no bleeding from anywhere, nothing , just his usual slight smile lurking around his mouth .
I am, I think ,beginning to come to terms with it , the last day or two I felt desparate to dash out and get another ginger lovely to fill the ache in my heart, then I realised that it is Odi I really want, and I will not get that , not fair on another cat to put that burden on its shoulders.
I lost my mum very suddenly, when I was 27, so many years ago, but the feelings are similar I remember now, some may say you cant compare the two, but I loved them both so makes sense to me.
Maybe I will have another ginger Tom, but not just yet.
Thank you all again, you have been lovely
love Ju XX

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 01:49:47 AM »
Hello,it's awful when we lose our lovely cats,especially this young.Was it a gas fire he was in front of? Our thoughts are with you. :(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 16:22:19 PM »
Aw hunnie, so sorry that you've found us in such sad circumstances  :(  Odi is beautiful, and I'm sure breaking a few hearts up on the Bridge right now :hug: :hug:

Its awful when we lose our babes at any age, but particularly when they are so young and should have their whole lives ahead of them  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JUDROP1948

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 23:06:23 PM »
Thanks again Gill, I will try that , I am a great writer down of stuff anyhow , dont know why I hadnt thought of it, not really thinking at all I guess, I have had cats( nah I have been owned by cats  ! ) all my life and have had three of my own over the last 40 years including Odi , they have invariably been old or very sick before death, but this is so different in that he was only 4 and I had expected him to live so much longer the shock is intolerable at times.
Well all the tears have made me sleepy , so will hit the sack, many many thanks lovely people
Love Ju XX

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 22:57:58 PM »
I found that writing down what I was thinking about my Kocka helped and when I go back to look, eventually, I will also have the memories of her.

Its five and a half years now but it still hurts.

We all so understand how you feel  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline JUDROP1948

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 22:54:25 PM »
 :thanks: I am sure that is true Gill, just feels impossible that I will ever get to a `comfortable` place again, its all so raw, just find myself in tears, ( I dont normally `do` tears ) all the time sitting here now with tears pouring down my face .
Keep thinking of all sorts of ( I know) silly things to beat myself about the head with, and that hurts so much too.
I will have to get a grip !
Thanks for taking time to help
Kind regards Ju XX

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 22:39:44 PM »
Sam is so right and time is the only healer and sometimes it takes loads of time but it gradually improves  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline JUDROP1948

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 22:38:16 PM »
 :thanks: :hug: Thanks Sam , that IS  a lovely thought XX

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 22:25:49 PM »
 :hug: Oh hun it's not "wallowing" ... it's grieving and it's perfectly natural. 

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline JUDROP1948

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 22:06:37 PM »
  : thanks: Thanks a lot Lau and Blackcat, and everyone who has replied,
It helps to communicate with others who have gone through this awful situation, I think I am still in shock.
Thanks for the info re claws etc , but no , he didnt have any problem with his claws or any bleeding from rear, nose mouth ears , etc , he just looked like he did when asleep in front of the fire, even had his usual little smile playing around his mouth.
As everyone has said , only time will make a difference , just getting through that time seems impossible to me at the moment, he brought such love and happiness into every day, just catching a glimpse of him made me smile , it hurts so much to know he will never come to have his nose stroked again.
I will try not to wallow , sorry, many thanks again Ju XX

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 20:56:21 PM »
so sorry to hear of your loss x

welcome to the forum too x

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 06:07:41 AM »
So sorry to hear of your loss - it is impossible to get past the idea that you might have done something different, but do try. It is a normal reaction to sudden death. Just a thought. You mentioned mucky footprints which suggests he had been outside. Look at his toenails. If they are shredded or frayed, then he may have been hit by a car and had some internal injury that led to his death. Again, not something you would have noticed unless he was limping. Cats will give every impression of good health in those circumstances, then the shock will take them off. :hug: :hug: :hug: Otherwise, some congenital defect is the most likely cause.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 00:39:03 AM »
 :'( :hug: :hug:

I'm so sorry for your loss. You're in shock and it's going to take time to start remembering the good times.  :hug:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 15:44:27 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about Odi.  :hug: :hug:

I lost my Thomas, the sweetest cat ever. He was 18 months old. The reason was pulmory odema which could not be controlled so I never did discover the underlying cause.  But the vet believed it to be a genetic heart defect.

So much harder when it is sudden and a young cat - it is such a shock - I can honestly say my heart broke - it is almost as if you have been robbed of your future with your cat; all the years you were going to share together. Please try to take some comfort that he never suffered and slipped away in his sleep.  :hug: :hug:

As others have said I would talk to your vet when you can as they can explain the reasons why this happens.

RIP Odi - run free little man  :(

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 15:40:26 PM »

Don't beat yourself up over something so daft as mucky pawprints.   :hug: :hug: Odi wouldn't love you any the less for it.  It probably went in one ear and right out the other - his purr transformer would've turned anything negative into a positive.  That's what cats excel at.    Have lost much loved companions myself, both elderly and much younger.  It doesn't stop the ache, but focusing on the special times strengthens the bonds you had, and still have, in your heart for them.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 15:39:58 PM »
Oh hun I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  Odi was a very handsome little chap.

As the others have said it sounds like a heart attack.  My Mum lost her gorgeous cream burmese boy like this .... she saw him lying on the lawn looking just like he was sleeping / sunbathing but it turns out he had had a massive heart attack and literally drop dead.  I know it will be so hard for you at the moment but you must take comfort from the fact that your little man may have had a short life but he was happy, warm and loved and passed away at home in his favourite place.  :hug:

My heart genuinely goes out to you at this difficult time ... but you are amongst freinds and we all understand the pain associated with losing a special little furry friend.

God bless and sleep tight Odi .... play hard at the rainbow bridge little man xxxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline JUDROP1948

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 15:26:56 PM »
Hi again , and thank you everyone , I just feel I should have been able to have done something, I know logically that this is probably not true, but I still feel like that, also keep remembering scolding him the day before because he left mucky foot prints on the work top , I would give anything now to have to clean his footprints up, We have been married almost 40n years and had 3 ginger toms , Henry was 17 when he died of a stroke, Garfield was 19 and had to have him put to sleep as he had oral cancer, the hardest thing I had to do so far, and so I guess I expected Odi to be with us an equal length of time, I guess you shouldnt just expect,
When I am not crying I feel numb, cant believe it , miss him so much.
Thanks again everyone
Ju XX

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 10:35:22 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear of the sudden loss of your beautiful boy it must have been a shock for you  :hug:

I can only echo what others here have said in that your little one was happy before and therefore it was sudden and I'm sure that he wouldn't have suffered.  I would speak to your vet if you have questions you want answering I've done this in the past and I'm sure they will reassure you.

I too recently lost my old girl, that was pretty quick but she was very old. 

It's never easy but time will make things easier  :hug:

RIP sweet little Odi xx

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:36:10 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 09:55:35 AM »
Sorry to hear about your beautiful boy. I'm no vet, but can say hand-on-heart that I don't think he suffered at all. I would imagine he had an undetected heart problem and died instantly - the way most of us would prefer to go. I know it is a small comfort, but at least he didn't suffer.  He was warm, well fed, comfortable and obviously loved  :hug: - you could ask your vet, but an autopsy won't bring him back. It couldn't have been poison or anything like that as he wouldn't have had such a peaceful ending.

RIP Odi.

If you want to speak to someone, the Blue Cross have a pet bereavement line http://www.bluecross.org.uk/2083/Pet-Bereavement-Support-Service.html

Most of us know how you feel. I have lost 2 in the last year, but they had both been ill for a long time.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:56:43 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 09:44:46 AM »
I am so sorry to hear your sad news , Odi is so handsome  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Have you at least spoken to your vet about it, because they should be able to speculate with more knowledge than us.

I guess that it was most likely to have been a heart attack or something that happened in the brain but the little consillation to you is that it would have been very quick and Odi would not have suffered.

Such a very terrible thing to happen and can recommend the Blue Cross grief counselling service, who you can either speak direct to or speak via Email, I found them very good.

So sorry to welcome you to Purrs on this sad day and you will find lots of surport here  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 09:37:08 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Judrop.  Am so sorry it's in such sad circumstances  :hug: :hug:

Odi is beautiful. 

It's very hard to say what may have been the cause of death without a post mortem, but likely problems may have been heart related - maybe a congenital defect not in any way apparent.   I wish there were something I could say or do that would help, but I fear there isn't anything that can get you through this, save time, and remembering the very good times you had sharing your life with your beautiful boy.    :hug:

Offline JUDROP1948

• Adult Cat
sudden death
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:31:22 AM »
Hi I am new to the forum, I need to make some sense of the death of my beautiful 4 year old ginger tom Odi yesterday, I am completely devastated by it, and please need some help, he had not been unwell and seemed to be his usual boisterous self but we found him dead, looking like he was sleeping in front of the fire, with no obvious injury, we are at aloss , but cannot afford an autopsy, I dont know how we will get through this !Thanks

Link to CatChat