Author Topic: advice needed please  (Read 4825 times)

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: advice needed please
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 12:07:57 PM »
I have fostered a partially blind and deaf cat and a fully blind and deaf cat at the same time - I did keep them in one room while I wasn't around to supervise, although that was mainly cos one of my other fosters wasn't very sociable and would go for most cats, so ones that ignored her especially ignored her. What amazed me was how well they adapted, the partially blind cat could even get up and down the stairs with no problems (and my stairs have no backs, so playful cats have fallen through them!! FIV should be fine as long as you do very graual introductions to make sure there is no aggression. Most rescues do expect you to keep foster cats separate from your own though, so would you have room to separate?
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 18:23:01 PM »
I have an 18 year old deaf and blind boy, we adopted him last year.  He copes amazingly well the only thing was, he tended to walk straight into our other old girl which seemed to bother her a bit but she did eventually seem to accept that plus I was around much of the time to monitor things.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 18:24:04 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Annastasia 1994-2009
  • Slave to: Elvis & Miki-MooMoo
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 16:36:20 PM »
My best friend recently housed a blind cat (15 yrs old) from our CPL. She was very nervous about it as she wasnt sure how Lily would cope etc. But shes settled in fine. As long as her tray and food are always in the same spot she always finds them fine etc :) She is also fantastic at knowing what is where in the room so never has any accidents etc.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 16:21:47 PM »
Normally people dont but due to the way FIV is passed ie by bites, then there is no real reason why you cant but they need to be indoor cats.

This discussion has also taken place on Gillians thread about Chicos New pad....he is a stray with FIV but also has a praying problem, he is soooooooooo gorgeous.

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 16:16:23 PM »
that is very true there are so many cats needing homes,  And so many people breeding  :Crazy: I dont know much about FIV can you have health cats and care for a cat withh it advice please :thanks:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 16:04:50 PM »
I have only met one blind and deaf cat who was in CPs care where I went to cuddle cats. This cat had only just been brought in but already was finding her way round the wall to her food.

I think they are probaly a bit of a challenge as they can only smell and feel vibrations but if you are ready to keep furniture and stuff in the same place and your cats are good with other cats, then go for it.......he needs a home as much as any other cat and am sure will be very happy to live with you.  :hug: :hug:

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 15:59:00 PM »
I have 3 cats 1 BSH 1 cross Abby 1 stray ginger kitten I  found. I am looking at getting another cat but I dont want a pedigree I am wanting to help a cat mybe foster but mybe giving a home to the type of cat no one wants ie blind deaf ect just wanting a bit advice. I  have kept cats for years and feel like i could do some thing like this we are a family and i work 25 hours a week what do you think ? Cory, Narla and Ozzys mam  ;D

Link to CatChat